Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2015, 01:24 AM   #106

good

02-26-2015, 02:57 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mcivorp Quote
I'm in... most likely. Shooting on a Fuji XE-1 but would sure love to use all my K mount glass. I assume I could mount old M42 glass with an adapter too.
Your assumption is correct.
QuoteOriginally posted by vvdvalentin Quote
good
How could it be otherwise?
03-28-2015, 12:58 AM   #108

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much more does it take to make a FF lens? The retail price of the two announced zooms seems twice as much as the CS equivalents. Years ago I read a book about the downfall of Detroit. In that it was said that the cost to make a big car and a small car were about the same, but they could charge more for a big car and that's why Detroit resisted making small cars for so long.
03-28-2015, 01:32 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
How much more does it take to make a FF lens? The retail price of the two announced zooms seems twice as much as the CS equivalents. Years ago I read a book about the downfall of Detroit. In that it was said that the cost to make a big car and a small car were about the same, but they could charge more for a big car and that's why Detroit resisted making small cars for so long.
There several aspects. Up to a point this is very true. This is market segmentation. Even if the latest lenses from Pentax are better a tamron 70-200 screw drive can be get used for maybe 500$ and would achive near the same thing from a practical purpose on optical quality. I mean the shoots will look great from the both lense and maybe even the "macro" capability of the tamron could be more interresting.

The the Pentax lenses have the latest/greatest features, they are made for all weather, using the best coatings etc. So they are overall a bit better and the overall cost to get this from the factory point of view is not much.

But there 2 key things through. Theses lenses are optimized for ultimate AF performance. I have no idea how much it cost to achieve that, but there no lense from Pentax previously that would achieve that, and in Canikon world, the cheaper lenses with that would be limited to f/4. For the ultimate f/2.8 performance, you pay a premium. And overall there no ultimate lense designed for APSC. Pentax was the only one to try with sigma a bit too. But the very fast autofocus is something only the Canikon premium lenses and now Pentax offer (maybe also Sony, I don't know).

For Pentax also the lenses are new, with new optical designs, lot of investement etc that justify the price... Even through the lenses are not stabilized and that a feature they lack compared to Canikon. To justify the lenses price and pro status without stabilization, they would need to perform better on other aspects than Canikon ones.

So that a mixed bag. We pay the Pentax R&D that didn't have such kind of lenses for years, we pay more because of market segmentation that for sure... And we pay more too because most people would not buy such expensive/heavy/big lense anyway and the price need to be increase to cover for lower volumes. But we also pay more because the lenses are going to be the best of the best, and no one offer that for a low price.

My advice is that if you don't need the ultimate AF performance, you may wish to look at one of the Sigma/Tamron offerings. Tamron has a very cheap and great 70-200 f/2.8 with screw drive and Sigma has an interresting offering with great but not ultimate AF performance, great quality and also optical stabilization. That give you choice !

03-28-2015, 06:02 AM   #110

The best lenses?

It will be a high target to reach todays best 70-200mm zooms quality: LensRentals.com - Just the Lenses: The Great 200mm Shoot Out
05-24-2015, 09:40 PM   #111
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It'll be worth waiting for. The FF Lenses are in themselves a fine piece of engineering that will be matched by this body.
05-24-2015, 10:15 PM   #112
Pentaxian

I really have no belief that it really would happen but if it looks like the MZ-D prototype I'll have my pre-order in immediately.

Instead it will look like the current prototype with the pointy dunce cap.

05-24-2015, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #113
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I really have no belief that it really would happen but if it looks like the MZ-D prototype I'll have my pre-order in immediately.

Instead it will look like the current prototype with the pointy dunce cap.
The MZ-D prototype was quite bulky and in today's environment would be a thorn in Pentax's side.
I would prefer to have a body I could choose to apply a grip to in order to add the vertical portrait ergonomics, but then take off if I wanted it light and easy, as I do now with APS-C bodies.
06-21-2015, 09:41 AM   #114
Inactive Account

have some K and Ka lenses I hope it will work with both.
06-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #115

QuoteOriginally posted by chris140472 Quote
have some K and Ka lenses I hope it will work with both.
Calm down, for sure they will work together with the new FF body
07-25-2015, 07:50 PM   #116

I just recieve a message from the Ricoh Imaging Community if I understand correctly it's huge :

Topic: Full Frame- Market Launch 2015 (2 Updates)

28atF8 posted a new reply on 07-24-2015 06:35 PM
Re: Full Frame- Market Launch

BTW the mirrorless be provided with contacts for a fully functional and ergonomically designed battery grip and let the third party manufacturers ( like matabones or fotodiox ) design couplers for non K mount lenses

28atF8 posted a new reply on 07-24-2015 05:09 PM
Re: Full Frame- Market Launch

Offer different models. A full featured DSLR for professionals. An affordable stripped-down model DSLR like a full frame version of K30 ( remove video recording if necessary to keep the price low as new video processing engine to drive full frame sensor and new design to dissipate heat may not be necessary ) and a thinner full frame version of K01 r provided with electronic coupler (or adapter to accept old and current K lenses ) with EVF. With this, the mirror less model will be ready to accept other lens mounts

It's not ONE but THREE Full Frame OMG
07-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is this from Ricoh/Pentax or just a rumor or fantasy wish of a poster? If real it would be very exciting. But it it looks a lot like somebody's fantasy list. Anyway, thanks for sharing.
07-25-2015, 08:26 PM   #118
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That actually would be a huge marketing win. As it is the FF will get some coverage but it will more be tongue in cheek "finally" type of reporting. But to hit the market with 3 distinct models at the one time would cause a massive stir. Especially the mirrorless as you will get the Canikon crowing about how they are being left behind.
07-25-2015, 08:39 PM   #119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, unfortunately, my speculation in my earlier post turns out to be correct. The text is just from two guys day dreaming about what they hope will happen. No info from Pentax at all. RIAC seems to have become moribund.
07-26-2015, 03:32 AM   #120
Inactive Account

All we can do is wait and see..