Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2015, 02:18 PM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Beaugrand Quote
They would NOT use "KDF." That was the Nazi abbreviation for their "Kraft durch Freude" ("Strength Through Joy") organization.
Would that be the so-called "Joy Division"?

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 02-10-2015 at 03:52 PM.
02-13-2015, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #197
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Of the names posted here I like

Pentax K-A the best (because we can't use Pentax K-Z).

Keep the K-numbers for APS-C models and K-letters for 35 mm models.
02-13-2015, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #198

K-F and the sucesor K-F2, k-f3, etc
or k-1 or k-f1
02-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #199
Veteran Member

KLX1 and then the next model KLX2.. and so on.

02-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #200
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
I dunno about the name, but I wanted to see what a brushed aluminum name plate like the 645z would look like.
Well done! It's funny I also thought that this large viewfinder was fitting well with the aluminium badge.

---------- Post added 02-14-15 at 12:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
I think that they should keep it simple and catchy.. something easy to remember.. K1.. KF .. something like that, if they start adding letters and numbers it could be a mess at the begining for people that is not used to the brand.. so, something simple as K1 or KF.. they can release future models as KFii KFiii and so on ..
I agree. If they target pros, the shorter the better
02-13-2015, 07:00 PM   #201

Photos: Albums
I don't know if the year has been mentioned,
"2K-15"
02-13-2015, 07:46 PM   #202
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trudger1272 Quote
I don't know if the year has been mentioned,
"2K-15"
Will look dated really fast. Think Windows 95, 98, 2000, ...
02-14-2015, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #203
Site Supporter

I'm going to cross-post from dpreview where I opined this morning:

Pentax hasn't been great with a naming strategy. It has been backwards, with the numbers getting smaller which means you reach the end of the line with a K-1 or have to reverse yourself or adding letters or roman numerals. The K-1 II sounds rather stupid, doesn't it?

They also need to think about SEO and making it easy to find when Googling.

The full frame camera line needs to break from the simple K of the APS-C line. But K has been so fundamental to Pentax (starting with the K mount) that I think it needs to stay in the name.

I vote for "XK" for the first Full Frame camera.
This instantly differentiates it from the APS-C cameras and gives you multiple directions to go in naming for the future. For example, you could use letters (with or without hyphens):
XKA, XKa, XK-a (I'm already pining for an XKE)

or you can go with the same number system that Pentax has used with single digits for the flagships, double digits for the mid-line, and triple digits for the "entry level" model (should they decide to do something similar with full frame sensors in the future).

The K in the 2nd position also allows you to reuse classic Pentax models like the:
XK-1000, XKX, XK2, XKM

Any of them just sounds cool and still uses the K. If you want to emphasize the K then xK is also an option.

The only XK in the photographic past was the Minolta XK and it wasn't a LINE of cameras, just one camera (and Minolta is no more). ZK is already taken by Fujinon and Zeiss lenses.

I don't know if it is worldwide or not, but X's also represent kisses (fitting on a Valentine's Day to point out, eh?) and people are going to LOVE their Pentax FF, right?

(Thinking about it further, I added

The x after the k has already been done. In the film world it was the KX and in the digital it was the K-x.

I like the X also because it is also reminiscent of the XL (Extra Large) sizing system of clothes. The body isn't much bigger, but the sensor certainly is.

Marketing could also play ALL DAY with the X in advertising phrases (if the marketing department ever got into gear). Lots of english words start with "EX" which can be abbreviated "X" as in XL.

Xcellence (Xpect Xcellence)
Xcite (and Xciting & Xcitement)
Xotic
Xceling
Xtreme (adverb Xtremely)
Xposed Xposure
Xceptional

There are many many more. These are all puns that writers and bloggers could make in their headlines (and reviews) regarding the new Pentax full frame also, if X were chosen as the first letter. I'm afraid that I haven't read the other replies in this thread, so I don't know if someone else has suggested this already.

02-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #204
Pentaxian

02-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #205
Site Supporter

Yes, did you actually read my entire post?

The point is that it is rather difficult to find ANY two letter combination that hasn't been used in some form by somebody somewhere. That is the ONLY photographic reference to XK that I could find and that was introduced 44 years ago and is by a company that no longer exists. I think that most of the Pentax demographic is going to make no association with that product, and if they do, it was a well-regarded PROFESSIONAL camera.

Last edited by cheekygeek; 02-14-2015 at 10:47 AM.
02-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #206
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
(I'm already pining for an XKE)
I've been pining for one those since I learned to drive...

***Won't we all be disappointed when the K-LS1 is finally released!***
02-14-2015, 11:57 PM   #207
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
Yes, did you actually read my entire post?
What are you so touchy about? You mention a camera, I post a picture of it. I happen to be a Minolta fan. As far as reading your posts, I won't be doing much more of them when you're boriscletoed™.

Here's another one:

photo from The Minolta XK SLR Camera - Index Page
Quote: "Just treat this site as a showcase. As the camera was not considered a huge success commercially so, the creation of this site may not even benefit too many visitors other than the curious surfers to find out what is the XK |XM all about - well, as long as you can digest something, my objective is reached. "
and some here

XK / XM / X1
Quote: " Even with the new features and innovation, this camera had not a high commercial success, but is the start of the X series which has made the Minolta reputation."
There are negative connotations along with the name. As you pointed out Minolta as a camera company no longer exists. The same is true about Pentax but that fact hasn't sunk in to many people yet. It went away when Hoya bought them out. And the XK was the only pro level camera that Minolta made. And association with a pro level camera will keep the consumer away:

The Rokkor Files - XK/XM/X-1 Series
Quote: "For whatever reason, the X-1 was not the success with professional photographers that Minolta would have hoped for, and at about $790 USD including AE finder, 50mm f/1.7 and case, the camera was quite expensive and out of reach for many serious amateurs who might otherwise have been interested in it. However, for those photographers that understood the overall value and sophistication of the system, the camera became indispensable. The X-1/XM/XK cameras were introduced at a time when no other manufacturer could match their complete system solution."
Does Ricoh have a complete system solution in the works to be unveiled at the same time?
02-15-2015, 02:52 AM   #208
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
lets talk about names
Most of mine already do...

Oh right... we're not talking lenses here.

02-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #209

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I second that... as a serious name.

But how about this?
or Pentax HG (Holy Grail). but then someone had to deal with the Illuminatis
02-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #210
ogl
Pentaxian

FX-1 or KF-1