Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 11:55 PM   #136

Suppose the naming scheme as of the K-7 was actually counting down till the time their flagship bodies will no longer be APS-C. Would that make this the K+1, followed by K+3, K+5 and so on?
Or maybe they'll make this one the A-1 for Q, K and A? Would that make the next MF body the 645J to round out the royal flush? But then where's the 10?
Since they waited so long to bring an FF to market, arguing APS-C is good enough for most people most of the time anyways, would that make their first full frame the (Pentax) X-S1? Or maybe it's just 1-XS?
LS-D, anyone? Nikon crossover with a D4*ist? Quell the exodus of Pentaxians to Sony-alpha-land with the Pentax Ω7?

.....I'll stop.

02-07-2015, 04:08 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well the K-50 replacement is K-S2. So the future camera line up will be:

Q-S1
K-S1
K-S2
K-3 (replaced by future K-S3 maybe?)
K-?? (Full frame)
02-07-2015, 04:25 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It will be called KO = Because it's going to be a "Knock Out" of a camera , lets just hope so .
02-07-2015, 06:11 AM   #139
Veteran Member

I'm thinking new letter to separate it from the APSC offerings. Maybe bring back the "LX" and call it the "LX-1". Or if they want to keep it a K, call it the KX-1 and have all of the future APSC cameras KS-#. I think pentax is going to run out of numbers with their already confusing number scheme. They should keep the current models the KS-1 (entry APSC), KS-2 (K50 replacement, mid level APSC), KS-3 (prosumer APSC), then KX-1 (Full frame). Whenever a new version comes out just call it the Mark II, III, IV, V and so forth just like everyone else is doing. Maybe add an upper level KX-2 with built in grip and faster AF/FPS for sports/wildlife photographers in the future and then you'd have a full line up of DSLRs to compete with canikon. Next is a serious mirrorless.

Last edited by GateCityRadio; 02-07-2015 at 06:22 AM.
02-07-2015, 06:32 AM   #140

(Some time in the future, when cell phones are built into our heads...) "Pentaxians, old and new generations, were all proud that a full frame had FINALLY come and Ricoh designated the entire series of models starting with FF-. It makes sense now as it stood out considerably to other brands and other brand's names but at the time there were many who wanted to name it for models they liked in the past. Names like K-F, MZ, F1 were about tangents of OLD history that didn't build up to what had actually arrived, a full frame, a milestone in Pentax history. Ricoh envisioned a long era of cameras in the FF- series. The entire lineup for future models would continue to start with FF- until the 67 Micro series but its' name involved more than a description, it was a previous long history and prideful name of what it took for Pentax to finally get to the point of the elusive FF, not to mention it marketed very well. It sounded cheezy at the time but hey, so were LED lights and look at what buzz, even if negative, was generated and how it led to the wildly popular UV/IR LED Converted FF-IR line). There was a punch to the FF- lineup and marketing which boomed in popularity and caused the lackluster-in-innovation Canon red to go out of business. That was when Ricoh brought out the FF-KO, Knockout, which coincidingly was the model that precluded Sony buying Nikon. Others had mentioned the naming of the FF- series with a single letter F, but that would have been half-hearted and incomplete. All the other letters and numbers weren't as meaningful as FF was. Ohhhh, how I remember how much I longed for a FF-K1 after holding out on the FF-K3. When it first came out, they also announced the FF-Alpha7 mirrorless and I was in heaven. That was when I took a picture of you when you were just a baby."

QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrogliserin Quote
It should definitely be Pentax FF. We already used to that name.
Pentax deserves this "journey" to FF to be proudly displayed. Other brands didn't have to wait, reliving the film days for FF as long as Pentaxians. Who else but Pentax would deserve the right to name their camera as FF-.

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
Since this FF Pentax looks like a small Pentax 6x7... It can be named like "Pentax 3x2" as in 3:2 aspect ratio of 35mm format? LOL

I think the K series names are already saved for future aps-c models. For full frame models, I think they will be either named with 'MZ' or 'LX'...
It's great to bring some old history into the mix. They should bring back retro styled models and name those models FF-MZ and FF-LX.

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
The Fullframe Unicorn Professional K-mount camera? Since pentax designate their pro gear with a star, the only logical name is....

Pentax FU*K

Which perfectly sums up the first words out of my mouth when I read the announcement....
Pentax FF-UC will be the model full of LEDs. FF-SDM will be for the last model when Pentax retires the FF- series.

QuoteOriginally posted by Akarak Quote
It will be called

"Pipe Dream" (because until i have in my hands, it's not real)

or

"Canikon Plus" (because it will have the best feartures of those brands PLUS the Pentax novelties)

or it could just be called

PK-Alpha
I think the mirrorless model should be called FF-A7 or FF-Alpha7. Maybe too much tribute to Sony for pushing them to be better? How about FF-K01 for the next mirrorless model.

Last edited by airjames; 02-07-2015 at 10:59 PM.
02-07-2015, 06:59 AM   #141

Not sure if it was said yet or not; but what about the K-3s? Much like the difference between a Canon 1D and a 1Ds. Or perhaps that would lead to confusion since Pentax's use of s in the K-5ii was to signify lack of AA filter.
02-07-2015, 12:04 PM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
I'm thinking new letter to separate it from the APSC offerings. Maybe bring back the "LX" and call it the "LX-1". Or if they want to keep it a K, call it the KX-1 and have all of the future APSC cameras KS-#. I think pentax is going to run out of numbers with their already confusing number scheme. They should keep the current models the KS-1 (entry APSC), KS-2 (K50 replacement, mid level APSC), KS-3 (prosumer APSC), then KX-1 (Full frame). Whenever a new version comes out just call it the Mark II, III, IV, V and so forth just like everyone else is doing. Maybe add an upper level KX-2 with built in grip and faster AF/FPS for sports/wildlife photographers in the future and then you'd have a full line up of DSLRs to compete with canikon. Next is a serious mirrorless.
But K-S is meant to be experimental out of the box thinking cameras. It doesn't have to stay entry level. A mirrorless Pentax positioned above the K-3? Could be the K-S3. Followed by a mostly transparent full of LED and cristals camera called K-S4. It can be for cameras designed by industrial designers, fashion designers, architects, it could have a fixed mirror that switches transparency, it could have an OVF and EVF in one, ... anything that Pentax wants to try out. The K-S2 is a bit ordinary for the designation, but maybe it's because of the articulated screen, while the K-S1 was the attempt to make a mirrored mirrorless camera (design of a mirrorless). I'm sure if they had thought of it early enough they would have called the K-01 the K-S1. Perhaps they intended the K-0 series to be such experimental cameras, but since it failed so hard they gave that up.

I proposed it before, and I'll propose it again:
Different letters for different lines. So full frame will get a letter, or two (L? KL? KX? KF?), what is now the K-* line gets a letter, the K-** line gets a letter, and then they can just use numbers to count them. K-P1. Succeeded by the K-P2. etc.

02-07-2015, 12:09 PM   #143
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
My 2nd guess: KLF
02-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #144

Spotmatic K
02-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #145
Veteran Member

When they created the K-S series of DSLR , they hint that new models will have standard numerical increase. Because of this, I strongly believe the model will be of K-F100. Keep it simple. Easier for everybody to understand the product line. This mean a small iteration change could be call K-F110 , a big change K-F200.
02-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #146
Inactive Account

K-9 sounds really good to me.

K-1 is nice too.
02-07-2015, 02:47 PM   #147
Veteran Member

k 35z
02-07-2015, 03:31 PM   #148
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have not read all posts here, so sorry if I'm echoing a suggestion already made. Always thought the FF would be called the "K-PRO" or maybe "K-PRO 1" to make room for the next generation body that eliminates glitches the drafting table crew never thought about.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 02-07-2015 at 06:44 PM.
02-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #149
Veteran Member

My bet is K-9999 or K-135

02-07-2015, 04:59 PM   #150
Veteran Member

I'd like to see a LX-1 but it could be a VW-1 (Vapour Ware - 1) given that FF was announced back in 2001. Hopefully it materializes for those who want it. I'm extremely happy with my lowly crop sensor and DA Limiteds. Cheers.