Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #166
Forum Member

In keeping with historic names:

K2 and LX were flagship film SLRs.
Adding a "D" for "digital" or an "i" for "improved" would be appropriate (as K2-D, K2i, or LX-D, LXi).

K-2i

KMi

KXi

or

MEi

MEi Super

MXi

or

LXi

LMi

LEi

Last edited by Beaugrand; 02-09-2015 at 07:17 PM. Reason: additional information
02-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #167
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
How about K-Z? Short and simple and sounds good alongside the 645Z...
I like also.. how about KZ-1, KZ-1D, or KZ1D
02-09-2015, 12:43 AM   #168

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Those are like a helicopter model name =)
02-09-2015, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #169
Veteran Member

They might just call it "Pentax K", like they did with the Ricoh GR

02-09-2015, 02:11 AM   #170
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
How about K-Z? Short and simple and sounds good alongside the 645Z...
There's just one little problem with that...
02-09-2015, 02:19 AM   #171

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
Holy crap. I had no idea.
02-09-2015, 02:34 AM   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
My analysis:
  • While they MAY drop a "K" from the name, I would be surprised. It's still K-mount after all.
  • The naming-convention-du-jour seems to be [Mount]+[Model Line]+[Model Number], eg K-S1, Q-S1. Frankly I'm confused by the "S" formula.
  • Aside from potentially using a "K", I don't foresee a nostalgic name. This is a brand-new, kick-ass camera and not a paean to the great film bodies of the past.

My first guess would be K-1 or K-_1. If it's K-1, then they would add letters after it for new modes--K-1n, K-1r, whatever. If they adopt the K-_1 formula, then the "K-_" designates FF, and they can just keep adding 1 to the name--K-_1, K-_2, etc.

If they keep the K-_1 formula, lots of letters to fill in that blank are kind of off the table though, for various marketing reasons--Q, R, Y, S, M, X...

V has nice connotations, though Nikon already has a V1...and had an F1.

Hell, maybe they'll just give it a non-alphanumeric name, like Hassy's rebadged Sonys had! The Pentax Aurora or something, lol.

02-09-2015, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #173
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Ricoh listen up! KonraDarnok has nailed it from a marketing perspective with the brushed aluminum name plate that is consistent with the 645Z. It would brilliantly tie together the 2 professional models in terms of branding. Should you utilize KonraDarnok's idea, might I suggest you send that Pentaxian one of the new full frame cameras at no cost - it's a very low price to pay for such a dynamite marketing idea...
02-09-2015, 04:27 AM   #174
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To follow the lead of "645Z" as someone noted could be 35Z or 135Z, but could also be 2436Z or K2436Z or K2436D, but I still suspect something like KPRO or KF or KDF. I agree with filoxophy that the designation will start with "K," then have some designation for the model such as "F" or "FF" but my guess would be "PRO," and I think no more than that. The first member of a new model rarely includes a "1" as it implies planned obsolescence, that is: "we're already designing the camera that you wish this one was, but buy this now and you can replace it with what you really wanted in 18~24 months."
How I hope someone at Ricoh has been attentive to the endless posts here stating what design features Pentax owners hope to find in the first FF model.
02-09-2015, 06:00 AM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
My analysis:
  • While they MAY drop a "K" from the name, I would be surprised. It's still K-mount after all.
  • The naming-convention-du-jour seems to be [Mount]+[Model Line]+[Model Number], eg K-S1, Q-S1. Frankly I'm confused by the "S" formula.
  • Aside from potentially using a "K", I don't foresee a nostalgic name. This is a brand-new, kick-ass camera and not a paean to the great film bodies of the past.

My first guess would be K-1 or K-_1. If it's K-1, then they would add letters after it for new modes--K-1n, K-1r, whatever. If they adopt the K-_1 formula, then the "K-_" designates FF, and they can just keep adding 1 to the name--K-_1, K-_2, etc.

If they keep the K-_1 formula, lots of letters to fill in that blank are kind of off the table though, for various marketing reasons--Q, R, Y, S, M, X...

V has nice connotations, though Nikon already has a V1...and had an F1.

Hell, maybe they'll just give it a non-alphanumeric name, like Hassy's rebadged Sonys had! The Pentax Aurora or something, lol.
What confuses you about S? It's the skunkworks line of cameras. The line that throws stuff at a wall and sees what sticks. The line that gives designers the chance to design a camera that focuses more on looks, or that lets them try out stuff that is too experimental.

It all makes perfect sense, and I truly hope they follow up on that and don't muddle it up. It is a scheme that can go on forever. Like the Mercedes naming schemes (which they recently revamped), or that of Audi or BMW. Audi for example has A for regular cars, S for sports versions and RS for even more extreme ones. Q stands for SUV. 1, 3, 5, 7 stand for hatchbacks/coupes, 4, 6 and 8 for sedans. Of course they added so many models it gets confusing again, with 4 door versions of 2 door coupes of 4 door sedans, or a sedan version of a hatchback that is based on a sedan etc. But overall it makes sense. Cars of course have the advantage of retaining the model name for subsequent versions, with the model year being added if necessary. Phone and tablet makers have recently started doing the same...

Calling it pro is not exactly subtle, is it? And what does it say about the other cameras?
02-09-2015, 06:52 AM   #176
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
Ooops. Guess that won't work
02-09-2015, 07:21 AM   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The Roman numerals for 95 is XCV
If we're going to do anniversaries, why not K-XL, for 40 years of the K-mount?

(I know I've been beaten to it, but that was in another thread.)
02-09-2015, 07:24 AM   #178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
If we're going to do anniversaries, why not K-XL, for 40 years of the K-mount?

(I know I've been beaten to it, but that was in another thread.)
Like that one.
02-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #179

The year 2000 was the 80th anniversary for Asahi / Pentax. They released the LX 2000 (in Japan only, 1000 prodced) with special 50mm f/1.2 lens. Perhaps more in celebration of the millennium then the 80th anniversary.

image from AOHC website
02-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #180
Veteran Member

Great looking finishing on the body konraDarnok. I would like the name to include KF