Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #256
Veteran Member

Since I'm not buying the FF, I'll use lenses I don't own
1. FA* 600mm F4 and wait for an eagle to fly over
2. FA* 200mm F4 Macro and try to find a ladybug

12-08-2015, 02:12 PM   #257

Sigma 70 - 300mm. It's the only FF lens I still have! I would take a photo of a single tree on Dartmoor, up by Harford. Previously photographed on a GX-10 and it is the only photo I have ever had published however it did make a full page spread in 'Dartmoor Magazine'. Probably more information than you wanted. But you did ask :-)
12-08-2015, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's interesting to note in this particular thread all the different lenses that will be able to be mounted on the Pentax FF - a testament to Pentax's flexibility. Also interesting to note some people saying they will not be buying an FF.
Personally, I think the FF is going to be a very good camera. Pentax have a great track record for SLRs - they have been very innovative since, and including, their first film SLR - the K5 is a great camera for its chip size, and they also make the very well received 645 digital. The FF is going to be somewhere between the K5 and the 645 - and given the scrutiny it is going to receive, Ricoh/Pentax are going to have to get it right with the first model they put on the market - no room for criticism. I note the 645D body only is now for sale at B&H for only $3689.95 - that's one hell of a drop and perhaps an anticipation of the competition expected from the FF when it is released. Come on Ricoh/Pentax - show again us what you can do!
12-10-2015, 07:56 AM   #259

Most likely my D FA 100mm Macro. The subject would likely be the closest family member.

12-11-2015, 12:50 AM   #260
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm coming a little late to this thread, but it's a good question. First off, I will be buying the FF (but, at my advanced age, Ricoh had better get a wiggle on and really release it early 2016), so I will have to think carefully about which lens I first mount on it. I now have all three FA Limiteds. For a long time I held off from buying the 43 mm, even though I had lusted after it ever since it came out, as I didn't think the focal length would be of much interest to me on a crop sensor. I was wrong: it's a peach of a lens, and a good focal length for photos of my granddaughter (who's not so keen on being photographed). It's not to short as to have to crop too heavily, and not so long as I'm backed up into a corner. Also, I have a venerable Sigma 20-40 mm f2.8 that has been sitting in a drawer since my film days. That focal length would come into its own on a full frame. I never used it on the APS-C cameras because I have the DA* 16-50 mm so it was a bit redundant. I also own the Sigma 12-24 mm and 28-70, along with a number of Pentax lenses that cover the FF image circle. If, however, the FF comes with the 24-70 mm as a kit (and providing I can save up enough to in time to buy it), that will be the lens I will first use.

And the subject? That's easy: it will be my dog. I have tried out every new (and not so new) body and lens I have obtained on him ever since he joined the household.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #261

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I'm coming a little late to this thread, but it's a good question. First off, I will be buying the FF (but, at my advanced age, Ricoh had better get a wiggle on and really release it early 2016).
For myself add "possibly" between "will" and "be" and probably not for at least six months after its launch in the UK. It all depends on size, weight (including lenses), cost and hardware or software bugs. I'll let others check everything out first.

My first lens is likely to be what ever comes with the camera. My second lens is most likely to be an ancient AF 35-70 which is the only FF lens that as far as I know I have.

My first pictures are most likely to be a views from an upstairs window in my house either a street view (front) or a garden view (rear), depending on time of day and weather, just to see if actually works, after of course updating the firmware. After that probably one or two interior shots.
12-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #262

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote

Remember, you only have one chance at doing either of those two thing for the first time!

My 1:3.5/15 (the AL one: yes - they do exist, the one with the f4 marking, and yes I do have one, and I know what it is :-). Shooting either the aurora, or fireworks from the site.

f8 and be there, and all that...

If you set the camera at exactly 45 degree angle, you get coverage from -5 degrees to +95 degrees in portrait mode. Shells firing at the bottom, and the results right above you, all in the same frame.

Accept no substitute for a rectilinear 15mm full frame coverage (well maybe a 14mm).

Then I`d do a brickwall comparison test between that one and my A15mm (have that one too), just to really explore the enveloppe of the camera and lenses.

After that, A*135, or Tamron A300mm. Fisheye A16mm, 43mm Limited ?

Once you have used a 15mm as your main lens for any lenght of time, everything else starts to look like and feel like a tele.

It's rather simple, but the combined coverage of both eyes when open is about 114 degrees of binocular vision, with the remaining 60~70 non-binocular. The 15mm gets closest to what we see at the center of our field of vision.

Just to be able to use that good glass again...

Plus the older you get, the harder it is to focus. A piece of black insulating tape, lock the 15 at hyperfocal and f8, and just shoot...

Can hardly wait for that hole in my wallet.

j-m

Last edited by Parallax; 12-15-2015 at 04:10 PM.
12-14-2015, 05:57 PM   #263
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have been getting some new FF glass so.. at this time, depends the time of the day, if is during the night.. its almost for sure that i will be indoor and hopefully will use the new 24-70 f2.8... if is during the day, i could be outdoors so the Sigma 85 f1.4 .. the Tamy 70-200 f2.8 .. oor. the 24-70 .. my subject, probably will be my dog..
12-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #264
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my DFA 150-450 & test AFC tracking
then my DA*300(FF compatible) for low light birding
then an old 50mm 1.8 for nostalgia
12-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #265

The FA 50mm 1.4 is the first nice lens I ever bought.. If I do get the FF I'll have to throw that first.
12-27-2015, 12:17 AM   #266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FA31 and then the DA*55
01-02-2016, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #267
Forum Member

My 20mm f/4.5 SMC Takumar M42. Wide angle prime lenses are the only reason to go FF
01-04-2016, 05:22 PM   #268
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a little late in here but if by some miracle I come into some extra money and could actually buy one, or if an even bigger miracle happens and they choose to sell the new FF for under $1000 and really disrupt the market, my first shots will be with one of my 50 or 55mm lenses. Now to choose which one........
01-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #269
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I'm a little late in here but if by some miracle I come into some extra money and could actually buy one, or if an even bigger miracle happens and they choose to sell the new FF for under $1000 and really disrupt the market, my first shots will be with one of my 50 or 55mm lenses. Now to choose which one........
I hope this never happens as it's time for the company to stop making "baby" cameras.
01-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #270
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I am thinking that it might just be my screw mount 55mm f1.8 SMC Takumar. That lens simply rocks on my current DLSR's so why not see how it works on full frame? It will be tempting to try my Pentax 150 -450 DFA first, but the old time goes on first.