Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 07:12 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
So i dont mean to troll or anything but i don't quite understand the level of excitement. (And believe me, i want to be excited. I for one am buying one the moment its released) But, they officially announced they are working on a FF. This is such a marginal step compared to what we already knew. The product doesn't even have a release date and the prototype picture is done w a 3d printer.... this could just as easily get scrapped like it did 10 years ago. or am i missing something?
Yep.

This is Ricoh. Not Pentax Corp. (Asahi), which was already failing at the time of the MZ-D. Not Hoya and Sparxx, which were essentially asset strippers.

Pentax is just a brand owned by Ricoh.

02-05-2015, 07:41 AM - 5 Likes   #17

Ricoh did a lot to not disgrace name of Pentax. They deserve support.
Attached Images

02-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You know that bigfoot video? The one with him tromping through the woods and pausing for a moment to glance at the camera?

Its a little known fact, but he was pausing to shoot a snapshot with the Pentax full frame, but that clunky video camera used to record the moment didn't have the resolution to pick it up.
02-05-2015, 03:38 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
So i dont mean to troll or anything but i don't quite understand the level of excitement. (And believe me, i want to be excited. I for one am buying one the moment its released) But, they officially announced they are working on a FF. This is such a marginal step compared to what we already knew. The product doesn't even have a release date and the prototype picture is done w a 3d printer.... this could just as easily get scrapped like it did 10 years ago. or am i missing something?
The excitement is based in a promise.
That promise came from the Pentax engineers, who convinced the bean counters to NOT release the MZ-D with an inferior sensor, and that someday, they would deliver on that promise.

In that promise, those engineers stood the watch, waited in the ego-stripping rain, until their careers almost drowned because of that promise.

Some *did* drown, and moved on.

However, we loyal Pentaxians stood with the remaining engineers, shoulder to shoulder and bought the cameras, and made it clear we were united in their vision to bring that pro-level FF camera to fruition.

It was in the dawn of the dSLR age, and our excitement is knowing that promise is once again upon us, and with the new lenses and official announcement is about to be realized.

What exactly is NOT there to be excited about?

It's been over a decade in the making?

02-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
Lauren only buys 2 of everything
It's called redundancy... the duplication of critical components or functions, failure is not an option on her watch.

I'm the same too.
02-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
It's called redundancy... the duplication of critical components or functions, failure is not an option on her watch.

I'm the same too.
Yep. On any given shoot there are three ( or more ) cameras!

02-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by ThePavuk Quote
Ricoh did a lot to not disgrace name of Pentax. They deserve support.
Yes! Support! That's exactly my angle. From what I've seen, Ricoh has done nothing but deliver since I bought my K30 and I hope it has the Ricoh logo on the back just like my K-3. "Though some may disagree." Still it is Ricoh who is reviving the brand covering all bases:
point & shoot,
action,
aps-c,
medium format
and soon "full frame."
After that, the only thing missing would be a large format camera.(never happenin!) Even though I don't really need one, I'm holding off on a few upcoming lens purchases because, when the FF drops this year, "I buying one just because." Honestly I'm too happy, but it's cool though. It make for a better day.

02-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #23

I've learned so much with my K-3. It will be great though to take my legacy lenses and mount them to a new digital camera and utilize to the full.
02-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #24
Forum Member

Obviously, someone in the Ricoh marketing department realized there is an underserved market between the APS-C DSLR and the MF DSLR. There should be three grades- the all-out, no-holds-barred, no-expense-spared PRO FF, the mid-range workhorse, and the entry/ProSumer grade; the entry/Prosumer priced just above the most expensive APS-C model.
02-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #25
Pentaxian

This is a cool one:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/287872-now-lets-tal...ml#post3150854
02-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Looks like an opportunity to spread a rumor of a digital FF 6x7 to get started.
02-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Looks like an opportunity to spread a rumor of a digital FF 6x7 to get started.
The potential market for a FF 6X7 is far smaller than the market for a 35mm FF.
02-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Beaugrand Quote
The potential market for a FF 6X7 is far smaller than the market for a 35mm FF.

sarcasm