Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 06:44 AM   #1

DA* 55mm f/1.4 on the new Full-Frame?

The DA* 55mm f/1.4 is one of those lenses tested to be "FF compatible". Will the new FF crop it or use it as a regular FF lens?

02-05-2015, 07:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Surely that would be user selectable, or Pentax will loose sales on the new FF body.
02-05-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For FF you will need to change hood @ wider than f/2.4 probably to minimise vignetting. I wonder will there be a menu option to allow DA lenses uncropped?
02-05-2015, 07:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I wonder will there be a menu option to allow DA lenses uncropped?
I hope it will be CROP: Full frame, APSC, Auto
Auto would automatically use crop mode for those Pentax lenses that project an APSC image circle. FF would use full sensor regardless of lens, APSC would use APSC area regardless of lens.
If the camera is always only in "auto" mode, that would be a mistake. Pentax was an APSC brand for so long, they better be friendly about it

02-05-2015, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Why is everyone so panicky about this issue? Pentax is known for being different and a little silly
at times, but not stupid. Rather than worry whether crop will be a user defined option, we should
expect that it might look something like this:

CROP> Full Frame, APS, Q, Q7, 110, Circle, Star, Custom
02-05-2015, 07:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Why is everyone so panicky about this issue? Pentax is known for being different and a little silly
at times, but not stupid. Rather than worry whether crop will be a user defined option, we should

I can see star crop becoming the new big trend!
02-05-2015, 07:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm not being pessimistic or anything, but..... given that there were issues with SDM, and Pentax never gave a user option to disable SDM for screwdrive on AF in the menu, I think that DA /FA will most likely be an auto function unfortunately. If it is a Da lens on the camera, it will crop automatically, if people want more, they will have to buy more lenses that are coming on the lens roadmap. That's marketing and creating a market for sales and growth 101.

of course, you could maybe just blank off a couple of connections on the lens with a bit of tape so the camera doesn't know what lens is on there, and run in manual mode, ( there is always a way around a problem... )

02-05-2015, 07:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I like the way you think.
02-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I would like to see a lens (and possibly aperture) specific auto crop. We know some DA lenses are completely full frame compatible, we know some are truly aps-c, and we know some fall somewhere in the middle. Pentax could program a specific crop factor for each DA lens. Additionally the crop factor could be reduced when the lens is stopped down. The draw back is the ability to see the exact crop in the OVF. Some sort of overlay would be needed, and that overlay would need to change with the changing crop.
02-05-2015, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think too, that it would be nice to have some kind of lens specific crop. It would probably be affected by aperture as well. In general, though, I would probably prefer to crop things in post though.

I know I've posted 55 photos on film before, but it really works well.

02-05-2015, 09:04 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
Surely that would be user selectable, or Pentax will loose sales on the new FF body.
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I hope it will be CROP: Full frame, APSC, Auto
Auto would automatically use crop mode for those Pentax lenses that project an APSC image circle. FF would use full sensor regardless of lens, APSC would use APSC area regardless of lens.
If the camera is always only in "auto" mode, that would be a mistake. Pentax was an APSC brand for so long, they better be friendly about it

What I don't understand is why anybody cares. I haven't yet seen a PP program that doesn't include a crop tool. If you crop the center APS-c sized section from the center of a FF sensor the result is exactly the same if the camera recorded the image beyond that as if it didn't.
I hope there's a psychology PhD candidate out there somewhere paying attention. A study of why the majority of the discussion about the long awaited FF is about whether it will have a "crop mode" would make a great dissertation.
02-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
What I don't understand is why anybody cares. I haven't yet seen a PP program that doesn't include a crop tool. If you crop the center APS-c sized section from a FF sensor the result is exactly the same if the camera recorded the image beyond that as if it didn't.
I hope there's a psychology PhD candidate out there somewhere paying attention. A study of why the majority of the discussion about the long awaited FF is about whether it will have a "crop mode" would make a great thesis subject.
The VF indicating where exactly the crop would be will help with composition. Plus, I like taking pictures better then cropping in post, and would rather spend my time as such.
02-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The VF indicating where exactly the crop would be will help with composition. Plus, I like taking pictures better then cropping in post, and would rather spend my time as such.
I guess. The DA *55 wouldn't really need a crop, from my experience, although some of the DA limiteds (DA 40, DA 70) have somewhat variable corners, depending on the aperture. But I don't know how many people will purchase this sort of gear in order to do a lot of straight out of camera jpegs. I certainly wouldn't. The goal would be to get the increased leeway with editing possible with RAW files from the 36 megapixel sensor and use it the best way you can.
02-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

They make cameras that allow the use of APS-c lenses without cropping.
I agree that a viewfinder properly etched to indicate the APS-c field would certainly be helpful.