Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #31
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minnesota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,369
I say keep the same design of the K3 and slap a FF sensor in there...

02-06-2015, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,604
OK, here's a VERY quick PS job I did attempting to add in some of the missing details and give a better idea of what this camera will probably eventually look like. I've put it side-by-side with the K-3 view from which I stole the SR label and the infrared sensor cover. I've also tried to scale them, based on the mount button positions to get a better idea of the relative sizes.

As you can see, the family resemblance is strong.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by dcshooter; 02-06-2015 at 11:29 AM. Reason: typos!
02-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #33
Site Supporter
shaolen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 793
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
OK, here's a VERY quick PS job I did attempting to add in some of the missing details and give a bette ridea of what htis camera wil lprobably eventually look like.. I've put it side-by-side with the K-3 view from which I stole the SR label and the infrared sensor cover. I've also tried to scale them, based on the mount button positions to get a better idea of the relative sizes.

As you can see, the family resemblance is strong.
Awesome! So looks like it might be about the size of a d600?
02-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #34
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,604
Haven't handled a d600 in a while, but my impression is that that seems about right. Not too big a surprise, I suppose, with the necessary size increase due to the larger mirror box.

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
Awesome! So looks like it might be about the size of a d600?


02-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #35
Veteran Member
neostyles's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 445
Right, except the k3. Point is that this boxy camera thing is pretty much unique to pentax. They really need to fire their design team and get someone who has you know some understanding of design principles. It doesnt help that their cameras are hardly sold in any us stores, but turning people off from the getgo with boxy dated looking cameras isnt helping their case exactly.

The 645z was ok in this regard, much better than most of pentax's latest releases (*shudder blinking lights*)

But apparently you have to pay over $8000 for rounded edges
02-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #36
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minnesota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,369
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
OK, here's a VERY quick PS job I did attempting to add in some of the missing details and give a better idea of what this camera will probably eventually look like. I've put it side-by-side with the K-3 view from which I stole the SR label and the infrared sensor cover. I've also tried to scale them, based on the mount button positions to get a better idea of the relative sizes.

As you can see, the family resemblance is strong.
Doesn't look too bad actually dschooter good job.
03-21-2015, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #37
Senior Member
LXNights's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 102
Count me among those who like the look of the K-30. I notice in the last few years Pentax w/Ricoh coming out with bold designs and if the reaction isn't what they thought it should be, quickly coming out with an update; case in point the K-30 to K-50, and K-S1 to K-S2. But I like the K-30. I was planning to get one when (at the time) a super deal became available on a K-50 I jumped at it, and the image quality was outstanding. But I could not take my eye off the K-30, and I recently bought of those and I'm very happy with it.

Never was a fan of the MZ-S, IMHO one of the few designs lacking in good ergonomics. Pentax has hit on a very well laid out design routine with their DSLRs and I have every reason to think the new FF will contnue that tradition, albeit with some new kinks. As long as it has those 6 letters at the top, I will work with it.

If you want a design more like Canikon, get one.

I think the designs in general have been sound. When I grip a Pentax, it is solid and firm, unlike the Canikons and certainly the Olympus. For lack of a better term, a very masculine grip and confidence inspiring.

Last edited by LXNights; 03-21-2015 at 04:50 PM.
03-22-2015, 09:49 PM   #38
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,418
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I say keep the same design of the K3 and slap a FF sensor in there...


And put up with about 50% coverage in the viewfinder?

03-23-2015, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,967
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
They really need to fire their design team and get someone who has you know some understanding of design principles.
i think you don't really get what a good design is. A good design is not supposed to be the beautifullest in the world, just the more efficient when using the object. The K-01 is not the most beautiful body design, but it's quite fonctional and it work quite well in the real world.
03-23-2015, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,336
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Right, except the k3. Point is that this boxy camera thing is pretty much unique to pentax. They really need to fire their design team and get someone who has you know some understanding of design principles. It doesnt help that their cameras are hardly sold in any us stores, but turning people off from the getgo with boxy dated looking cameras isnt helping their case exactly.
They really need to congratulate their design team for a job well done. The managed to make a functional, (relatively) good looking and distinctive design - with an excellent ergonomic shape.
Signed: a Pentaxian who doesn't appreciate vaguely-shaped blob designs.
03-23-2015, 04:06 AM   #41
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,888
IMHO, the MZ-S looks ugly compare to modern day design... of course, it is just a subjective opinion.

---------- Post added 03-23-2015 at 07:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
i think you don't really get what a good design is. A good design is not supposed to be the beautifullest in the world, just the more efficient when using the object. The K-01 is not the most beautiful body design, but it's quite fonctional and it work quite well in the real world.
+1...

---------- Post added 03-23-2015 at 07:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They really need to congratulate their design team for a job well done. The managed to make a functional, (relatively) good looking and distinctive design - with an excellent ergonomic shape.
Signed: a Pentaxian who doesn't appreciate vaguely-shaped blob designs.
+1... what you said...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
24x36mm, 6x7, design, ff, full-frame, pentax, post, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looks like leaving Pentax for Canon FF & shift lenses JayR Pentax Full Frame 101 02-05-2015 08:17 AM
Just got this from KEH. Looks like they got a ton of new Pentax gear mflagg Pentax Price Watch 12 04-12-2013 10:27 AM
Looks Like Rumors Of A New Flash Are True iCrop Pentax News and Rumors 46 01-09-2013 07:12 AM
Looks like a new Pentaxian is born! biphers Pentax K-5 25 12-11-2010 08:52 AM
It looks like the new Pentax online store is up & running Jonathan Mac Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 09-08-2010 10:36 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:49 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top