Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I say keep the same design of the K3 and slap a FF sensor in there...

02-06-2015, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, here's a VERY quick PS job I did attempting to add in some of the missing details and give a better idea of what this camera will probably eventually look like. I've put it side-by-side with the K-3 view from which I stole the SR label and the infrared sensor cover. I've also tried to scale them, based on the mount button positions to get a better idea of the relative sizes.

As you can see, the family resemblance is strong.
Attached Images

Last edited by dcshooter; 02-06-2015 at 11:29 AM. Reason: typos!
02-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
OK, here's a VERY quick PS job I did attempting to add in some of the missing details and give a bette ridea of what htis camera wil lprobably eventually look like.. I've put it side-by-side with the K-3 view from which I stole the SR label and the infrared sensor cover. I've also tried to scale them, based on the mount button positions to get a better idea of the relative sizes.

Awesome! So looks like it might be about the size of a d600?
02-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Haven't handled a d600 in a while, but my impression is that that seems about right. Not too big a surprise, I suppose, with the necessary size increase due to the larger mirror box.

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
Awesome! So looks like it might be about the size of a d600?

02-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Right, except the k3. Point is that this boxy camera thing is pretty much unique to pentax. They really need to fire their design team and get someone who has you know some understanding of design principles. It doesnt help that their cameras are hardly sold in any us stores, but turning people off from the getgo with boxy dated looking cameras isnt helping their case exactly.

The 645z was ok in this regard, much better than most of pentax's latest releases (*shudder blinking lights*)

But apparently you have to pay over $8000 for rounded edges
02-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
OK, here's a VERY quick PS job I did attempting to add in some of the missing details and give a better idea of what this camera will probably eventually look like. I've put it side-by-side with the K-3 view from which I stole the SR label and the infrared sensor cover. I've also tried to scale them, based on the mount button positions to get a better idea of the relative sizes.

Doesn't look too bad actually dschooter good job.
03-21-2015, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #37

Count me among those who like the look of the K-30. I notice in the last few years Pentax w/Ricoh coming out with bold designs and if the reaction isn't what they thought it should be, quickly coming out with an update; case in point the K-30 to K-50, and K-S1 to K-S2. But I like the K-30. I was planning to get one when (at the time) a super deal became available on a K-50 I jumped at it, and the image quality was outstanding. But I could not take my eye off the K-30, and I recently bought of those and I'm very happy with it.

Never was a fan of the MZ-S, IMHO one of the few designs lacking in good ergonomics. Pentax has hit on a very well laid out design routine with their DSLRs and I have every reason to think the new FF will contnue that tradition, albeit with some new kinks. As long as it has those 6 letters at the top, I will work with it.

If you want a design more like Canikon, get one.

I think the designs in general have been sound. When I grip a Pentax, it is solid and firm, unlike the Canikons and certainly the Olympus. For lack of a better term, a very masculine grip and confidence inspiring.

Last edited by LXNights; 03-21-2015 at 04:50 PM.
03-22-2015, 09:49 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I say keep the same design of the K3 and slap a FF sensor in there...

And put up with about 50% coverage in the viewfinder?

03-23-2015, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
They really need to fire their design team and get someone who has you know some understanding of design principles.
i think you don't really get what a good design is. A good design is not supposed to be the beautifullest in the world, just the more efficient when using the object. The K-01 is not the most beautiful body design, but it's quite fonctional and it work quite well in the real world.
03-23-2015, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Right, except the k3. Point is that this boxy camera thing is pretty much unique to pentax. They really need to fire their design team and get someone who has you know some understanding of design principles. It doesnt help that their cameras are hardly sold in any us stores, but turning people off from the getgo with boxy dated looking cameras isnt helping their case exactly.
They really need to congratulate their design team for a job well done. The managed to make a functional, (relatively) good looking and distinctive design - with an excellent ergonomic shape.
Signed: a Pentaxian who doesn't appreciate vaguely-shaped blob designs.
03-23-2015, 04:06 AM   #41
Pentaxian

IMHO, the MZ-S looks ugly compare to modern day design... of course, it is just a subjective opinion.

---------- Post added 03-23-2015 at 07:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
i think you don't really get what a good design is. A good design is not supposed to be the beautifullest in the world, just the more efficient when using the object. The K-01 is not the most beautiful body design, but it's quite fonctional and it work quite well in the real world.
+1...

---------- Post added 03-23-2015 at 07:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They really need to congratulate their design team for a job well done. The managed to make a functional, (relatively) good looking and distinctive design - with an excellent ergonomic shape.
Signed: a Pentaxian who doesn't appreciate vaguely-shaped blob designs.
+1... what you said...