02-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #16
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
SR and/or Sensor Shift Capability?

I was hoping for FF Pentax would :
-- (A) have SR,
-- (B) have significant sensor shift capability (e.g., on the order of 10-15mm)**, or
-- (C) both.
The body does not show "SR" so does that indicate SR is not likely?

___
** May require using MF lens, or a new lens w/ larger image circle--if the K mount can accommodate the shift.

02-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I was hoping for FF Pentax would :
-- (A) have SR,
-- (B) have significant sensor shift capability (e.g., on the order of 10-15mm)**, or
-- (C) both.
The body does not show "SR" so does that indicate SR is not likely?

___
** May require using MF lens, or a new lens w/ larger image circle--if the K mount can accommodate the shift.
It has a little groove that looks like it will eventually have an SR emblem
02-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
Holy sh*t it's ugly. Could Ricoh please fire the Pentax design department and hire someone with the vaguest hint of visual elegance?

;-)

- N.
Yeah, i kind of agree with you. I dont really know what pentax is doing with their design. The k30s design was ok. I think it was their best designed camera so far and they should have used that as a model for their other cameras imo.
02-05-2015, 01:57 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
That was my initial reaction, looks like a Pentax 67II. But I think it looks fine, can't wait to see more specs. Listen, for every 2 Pentaxians you're going to get about 5 views as to what it should look like...

02-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

the k30 may have been the monster energy drink. but atleast it was appealing. This may be an early prototype, but the design issues go far beyond any of the things you have mentioned. Pentax still seems to be very poor in the design department. Look at how boxy this thing is. And all the hard edges. Pentax loves touting their specs but their cameras are going to carry a dated feel imho as long as they dont bring their design language into the 21st century.

Furthermore, i dont know why they only have a "3d printed prototype" i think not pairing the announcement with an actual, usable version of the camera is hurting them.
02-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #21
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
Holy sh*t it's ugly. Could Ricoh please fire the Pentax design department and hire someone with the vaguest hint of visual elegance?
True. Perhaps they are trying to look different? Nikon/Canon are very rounded. Also, I bet it will look better with an actual body, with the grip, and the usual paraphernalia like labels, designs, watev.
02-05-2015, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

It's not just canon/nikon dude. I dont know of any dslr out there that looks that boxy.. Here is an olympus

Last edited by neostyles; 02-05-2015 at 04:01 PM.
02-05-2015, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe, like a Volvo they think, "Boxy. But Good."

And FWIW, maybe the rich old men who will buy a $3,000 toy like traditional. boxy cameras. After a few showers my bar of soap looks like a Canon.

The K-S1 might be more the new Ricoh design ethic for general market appeal.
02-06-2015, 02:39 AM   #24

Hope it is smaller in the final release, and handy. Same size of K5, and K3
02-06-2015, 07:20 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You figure they got to put the mechanism for the crop-mode vs. full-mode in there. I wonder if they are going to leave out the AA-filter or go the way of the K3 ?
02-06-2015, 07:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
You figure they got to put the mechanism for the crop-mode vs. full-mode in there. I wonder if they are going to leave out the AA-filter or go the way of the K3 ?
I'm so hoping! Otherwise I got the DA*55 for nothing
02-06-2015, 07:58 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
The k30s design was ok. I think it was their best designed camera so far and they should have used that as a model for their other cameras imo.
I liked the K-30 design, as well. The K-50 just seems.. really cute. But the K-30 looks rugged, strong. I think the K-30 had one problem, though - its prism and flash were protruding forward and would prevent some (older, third party) lenses from mounting fully. Mostly T/S lenses if I remember correctly.

I like a big viewfinder, so I am glad the FF has a big top! But this is a rough prototype, I expect the final product to look much better, more polished, with the textures, buttons, labels.
02-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I say keep the same design of the K3 and slap a FF sensor in there...
02-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
OK, here's a VERY quick PS job I did attempting to add in some of the missing details and give a bette ridea of what htis camera wil lprobably eventually look like.. I've put it side-by-side with the K-3 view from which I stole the SR label and the infrared sensor cover. I've also tried to scale them, based on the mount button positions to get a better idea of the relative sizes.

As you can see, the family resemblance is strong.
Awesome! So looks like it might be about the size of a d600?
02-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Right, except the k3. Point is that this boxy camera thing is pretty much unique to pentax. They really need to fire their design team and get someone who has you know some understanding of design principles. It doesnt help that their cameras are hardly sold in any us stores, but turning people off from the getgo with boxy dated looking cameras isnt helping their case exactly.

The 645z was ok in this regard, much better than most of pentax's latest releases (*shudder blinking lights*)

But apparently you have to pay over $8000 for rounded edges