Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 61 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not going to happen. They might phase out screw drive in the lenses but not in the body. They still have in production lenses with screw drive. DFA 100mm macro for example. Not counting any of the regular vintage glass. And not even thinking of what owners of FA limiteds would say. So, no not going to happen. Maybe someday, on a bargain limited function body. But not this body.
Not sure why you quote me on that one, since I am pretty much saying that I doubt they will give up on the screw drive.

02-05-2015, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I was going to say that I won't buy one because I don't need to take shallow DOF, "only one eye in focus" portraits, but changed my mind.
Good thing you didn't say that!
02-05-2015, 10:50 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Not sure why you quote me on that one, since I am pretty much saying that I doubt they will give up on the screw drive.
I was agreeing with you and organizing the thread
02-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
OK, if you want to stay with APSC, please don't come to "Full Frame" forum, OK?
They just can't help it Norm for example is the moth drawn to the flame so many times he's a Canadian phoenix!

02-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I was agreeing with you and organizing the thread
Oh... sorry then
02-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #51
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
They just can't help it
They? Hmmmmmm. suspicious1

02-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Complete the sentence: “I will not buy the FF, if ____________"
... If it's more than $2200 for the body. Not because it's probably not worth it, but because my photography budget is not infinite and I already have a FF body (D800) so my justifications have to be incredibly convoluted.

That ^ could change if this initial Pentax body is so freaking great I can't resist it... but then I may think of selling the D800.

If I had no current FF? No-brainer, at almost any price under $4k, I'd be in the K-ff. I think I'd go used/Sigma/Tamron route though on the f/2.8 zooms, and then round out with FA 43 & 31 to go with my 77.

02-05-2015, 11:04 AM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I will not buy the FF if it does not have a multi-cup option.
02-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I will not buy the FF if it does not have a multi-cup option.
Ummm... define "cup" ... we are still talking about cameras right?!
02-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would love to buy a FF body but I cant afford to be an early adopter. God you all who can. Count your blessings and be thankful for your good fortune. I have to wait for the sales.

Early adopters iron out a lot of the bugs in the hardware and firmware. They are the public's beta testers. By the time the sales come around the firmware will probably move from v1.0 to v1.2. That's the version of firmware I'm looking for.

In between the initial sales releases and the discounted prices will come the reviews, tests, and image samples. That will give me an idea how much of a leap in IQ and capability the FF body will give me compared to a K-3. If the only difference between a K-3 and this FF is the increased FoV then I have to pass on this body. Perhaps the next FF body after this one would be for me ... but I would need to wait for the discounts and the updated firmware too.

In the end, it could be between 2 and 4 years before I seriously consider upgrading and laying out the cash for it. The K-3 is here to stay with me for a long time yet!
02-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not going to happen. They might phase out screw drive in the lenses but not in the body. They still have in production lenses with screw drive. DFA 100mm macro for example. Not counting any of the regular vintage glass. And not even thinking of what owners of FA limiteds would say. So, no not going to happen. Maybe someday, on a bargain limited function body. But not this body.
ogl said:

Body mount is crippled KAF2, so the body has screw-drive motor
Lenses use KAF3, so they don't have gears, just the in-lens motor.

[EDIT:] Oh. Already answered.
02-05-2015, 11:17 AM - 2 Likes   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I will not buy a FF if these threads stop because people are buying them.

Seriously, I get all the mockery of the one eye in focus, but there is more to it than that (which you can do on APS-C) with a FF. It is a sensor size that much of our legacy glass was MADE for. They were designed for this sensor size - so what Pentax completely intended for the lens by design will be on full exhibit for us to see. Obviously film is different than digital and I understand that.
But guys, really - 15 years ago - I was driving a white 1981 citation and was a sophomore in high school. I shot the K1000 with a 55 1.8 for journalism class. I currently own a K1000 SE (yep) and a K 55 1.8 and other film cameras. The magic they produce is much easier on digital because you don't have to wait for development.
I am excited for the die hards that held out for this. I am excited for the company as Ricoh intends to be a competitor and bring back the reputation of a stellar brand history. I am excited for a camera that will be one of the best in the category that it is in (just like the 645Z and K-3). I am excited for myself, because in 2016 I will get to buy one. I am excited because APS-C ability was pretty maxed out in 24 megapixels if we are talking lower than limited and DA*. I know there are certainly exceptions to that statement. Seriously, I'm in, this brand is excellent at what they make, and I am excited that they are making something that I would love to use and own!
02-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #58
Veteran Member

If it is out of my budget.
If it doesn't have screw drive motor (I am almost positive it will, but if it doesn't, it is a deal breaker).
If they don't release a modern (i.e. autofocus with the fancy coatings) FF compatible lens. I am almost sure they will, but I have to see it before I lay down my cash for a new body.
02-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Ummm... define "cup" ... we are still talking about cameras right?!
Oooops! Wrong forum!

Steve
02-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #60

I will not buy the FF if it doesn't have built-in SR .... 99% sure it does, as the two new lenses don't have it built-in, but if there is no SR, I'm sticking with the K-3 and its children