Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 09:23 PM - 2 Likes   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will not buy a Pentax FF if........It does not support a new focus mode that I will call AF.T. (Auto Focus. Telepathy) This is a thought controlled auto focus system. This camera must be able to read my mind and focus exactly on what I am thinking and disregard it's sensors. Forget about Contrast and Phase Detection, these are old school technologies that rely on the light reflecting from the scene and all manner of complicated mechanics and algorithms. Reading some of the criticisms of the current Pentax AF systems, one would think that Canikon and others already have this facility.

Once this concept is established it is but a small step to move to a full T Mode. Aperture, shutter, ISO and zoom control. Perfect shots every time, no more thinking required, no more fiddling with buttons and wheels in a vain attempt to get the camera to replicate my thought processes. Just think, at a ratio of one shutter actuation per keeper, the camera will last a thousand years.

Other advantages,
The Critique forum could be closed down as it will be no longer necessary.
Competitions can be done away with as they are no longer relevant. Everyone is a winner.
The resources so saved can be used to expand the PEG as every Pentax FF image will qualify.

02-05-2015, 10:16 PM   #92
Veteran Member

I will not buy a FF...... If pentax forums gives one away in a contest and I win!
02-05-2015, 11:12 PM   #93
Veteran Member

I will not buy a Pentax Full Frame DSLR , Unless

1. It has Built in WiFi
2. Has Dual SD Card Slots
3. has Built in GPS or will accept my O-GPS.
4. LI-90 Batteries so I can use my 5 x existing batteries across all 3 x Cameras bodies
5. 1/250 Sync Speed
6. Full Weather Sealed.
7. will come out with a Battery Grip Option
8. OVF Close-able Hatch for Long Exposures , so No Nasty Light leaks.
02-05-2015, 11:54 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I won't buy a Pentax Full frame if.... err... I definitely won't get it if it doesn't.... err... um.... Right, I shan't buy if if it has..... uh... oh dang it, I'm buying it!

02-06-2015, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #95
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it says hociR all over it in pink.
If it comes with gold plating.
If it doesn't have a crippled K14 mount
Unless it comes with a side of lutefisk
02-06-2015, 01:35 AM   #96

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I won't buy an FF Pentax. Haven't figured out why yet, they haven't released enough specs... but as soon as they do, I'll tell you.

Things I expect I won't like....
1. The price
2. The resolution
3. The back screen, tilting or no tilting, I can't decide which I dislike more, I won't like it either way. If it tilts I'll complain it feels cheap. If it doesn't tilt, I complain because it doesn't tilt. It doesn't matter what they do, I won't like it.
4. The 100-450 is way too much money.
5. The 70-200 2.8 is way too much money.

There is absolutely nothing about this camera I'm not preparing to dislike....
And that will be true until I decide I like it.

People who think they can embarrass me by quoting this when I decide I like it are wasting their time. To quote one of my teachers from years ago. "What the hell is with this "You're supposed to be consistent" thing. If once in your life you say something stupid, you're supposed to stick with it, just to be consistent?"

I feel absolutely no obligation to be consistent in my opinions. I define my opinions, they don't define me.
Don't worry: "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."

-Whitmann
02-06-2015, 02:11 AM   #97
Banned

I will not buy the FF if it has over 30 megapixel. I have no need for such an amount of pixels and don't want to go into that route. So the max would be a cut-out from the 645z wafer delivering about 30.7 megapixel.

02-06-2015, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #98

Hmmm, let's see - a 36mp ff camera thrown into aps-h mode.... might be just the ticket
02-06-2015, 02:31 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I will not buy the FF if it has over 30 megapixel. I have no need for such an amount of pixels and don't want to go into that route
I dunno, Ron, I used to think that. But since I had the Nikon D800 (now the D810) I'm a believer: the crop-ability is phenominal - talk about pictures within pictures. And it has a 1.2 crop mode too, which would mean around 25 MPx (correct me if I'm wrong). Would you be tempted if the the Pentax FF had that?
02-06-2015, 03:44 AM   #100
Pentaxian

I will not buy the Pentax FF this year if I dont't win in the lottery. My old house has told me it will confiscate any means reserved for camera gear and use it for unexpected costs during the ongoing remodeling
02-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #101
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I dunno, Ron, I used to think that. But since I had the Nikon D800 (now the D810) I'm a believer: the crop-ability is phenominal - talk about pictures within pictures. And it has a 1.2 crop mode too, which would mean around 25 MPx (correct me if I'm wrong). Would you be tempted if the the Pentax FF had that?

Basicly you want to sell me an APS-H sensored camera.............

Yes, I'm tempted......

02-06-2015, 11:01 AM - 2 Likes   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The 645D is a "miniaturized" frame of medium format. FF 645 film cameras were barely considered medium format due to its small size in many circles in the film days. And now we have a cropped version of a 645. And to give you an indication its size, look at the approximate normal lens for a given format:

35mm format = 50mm
cropped 645 = 55mm,
645 = 75mm
6x6 = 80mm
6x7 = 100mm
I concur. I'm actually a 6x6 & 6x9 shooter, but I don't talk about that much on the Pentax forum.

I was responding to someone's notion that APS-C was a digital format invented because a 24x36 sensor would have been too expensive to make at the time. APS-C is a film format designed to make smaller cameras with more features than could be offered for 135 film cameras. When digital came about, APS-C format already existed as the "wave of the future". For a digital camera, smaller and more features is what the people wanted. Attempts to approximate a 24x36 digital sensor were/are an attempt to cling to an anachronistic format, for what sake I shall not speculate publicly.

To condense my usual rant: APS-C is not illegitimately cropped from 135 unless 135 is illegitimately cropped from a "legitimate" or "medium" format, which used to be just "normal" format until 135 "crop" came about, earning the name "miniature format". I have all the digital I need in APS-C without digitally simulating film's middle step-child.

Perhaps I should say I will not buy the Pentax Full-Frame if Ricoh sells me a real digital 645 instead, but they won't make one.

Last edited by AquaDome; 02-06-2015 at 11:15 AM.
02-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #103

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I concur. I'm actually a 6x6 & 6x9 shooter, but I don't talk about that much on the Pentax forum.

I was responding to someone's notion that APS-C was a digital format invented because a 24x36 sensor would have been too expensive to make at the time. APS-C is a film format designed to make smaller cameras with more features than could be offered for 135 film cameras. When digital came about, APS-C format already existed as the "wave of the future". For a digital camera, smaller and more features is what the people wanted. Attempts to approximate a 24x36 digital sensor were/are an attempt to cling to an anachronistic format, for what sake I shall not speculate publicly.

To condense my usual rant: APS-C is not illegitimately cropped from 135 unless 135 is illegitimately cropped from a "legitimate" or "medium" format, which used to be just "normal" format until 135 "crop" came about, earning the name "miniature format". I have all the digital I need in APS-C without digitally simulating film's middle step-child.

Perhaps I should say I will not buy the Pentax Full-Frame if Ricoh sells me a real digital 645 instead, but they won't make one.
Let's face it, anything this side of 1:1 macro is a crop...
02-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #104

aps film was expensive, though, and never did catch on because the pro shooters who could afford it already shot 135 and didn't gain anything from an aps slr. other than that, it was all pretty expensive point and shoot cameras. 135 slr, rangefinder and compact cameras are still produced to this day, as is 135 film, but aps anything is nowhere to be found, because Nobody wanted it. same with 110 -- nobody makes it anymore.

are there actual 645 sensors? scanning backs, maybe. the one in the 645Z is about par with the iq, hasselblad and mamiya offerings -- those are all cropped, too.
02-06-2015, 11:49 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Hmmm...I'll probably buy a Pentax FF regardless, but if it doesn't have video, that'll immediately stick it on the back burner until I can pick up a used one for cheap a few years down the road.