Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Looking at the "mock-up", there is a shadow under the prism and above the lens. That is where the flash is. Don't let the pyramid shaped prism housing misdirect you.
But if you look to the right, the flash sync cap is right in the middle, would be strange to have it hinge there.

02-05-2015, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Most cameras that are aimed at the pro market(which this one will be) it will be assumed that you have a speedlight. PLUS, if you have to coin to drop on a fullframe body, I think its safe to assume that a speedlight wont put you out to badly.
You're missing the point I think. It's about the convenience. A built in flash is incredibly useful. It's put me off a bit
02-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
You're missing the point I think. It's about the convenience. A built in flash is incredibly useful. It's put me off a bit
Convenient? I have not raised the pop up on my K-3, well, ever. If you have a speedlight in your bag you have no need for a pop up. While some find it convenient others find it useless. Now maybe if I was unprepared and my batteries died, and I didnt have any more, AND it was a shot I could NOT miss,maybe the pop up might save me. I digress. I can understand why some may find it useful, but if youre aiming for this camera and complaining about it not having a entry level feature you might be in the wrong neighborhood.
02-05-2015, 07:19 PM   #19

Talking about flash, I wonder if the engineers decided to keep the standard 1/180 sec sync speed on the new FF. Maybe they could incorporate two or three sync speeds; 1/180th for legacy, and maybe 1/200th or 1/250th for a redesigned dedicated flash.
Old flashes would still work, but Ricoh/Pentax could make a break with the past with some new features/specs.

02-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
Talking about flash, I wonder if the engineers decided to keep the standard 1/180 sec sync speed on the new FF. Maybe they could incorporate two or three sync speeds; 1/180th for legacy, and maybe 1/200th or 1/250th for a redesigned dedicated flash.
Old flashes would still work, but Ricoh/Pentax could make a break with the past with some new features/specs.
That's what I'm hoping for, they really need to raise the sync speed.
02-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
Possibly, but when a user is looking to choose the camera, they will look at it as a positive or negative, and to me, occasionally needing it and not having it is a negative than having it and not needing it for others.

I, for one, on many occasions will keep my system light. I will add a walk around lens on my camera, without my bag, so if I am out and about and I want to use fill flash, what do I do ? Keep my Metz in my pocket just in case ?
How big are your pockets?
02-06-2015, 12:57 AM   #22

Here is why an onboard flash is not necessary: an example of shot with the K3 on board flash and 16-50mm f2.8.

You can see the black area at the bottom of the pic.
The 24-70mm f2.8 will be bigger you know, so don't expect miracle. COuld be used with limited primes only IMO.

Since that shoot, I always take my AF-540FGZ.
More versatile with bouncing abilities. Result more "pro" looking.

02-06-2015, 01:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Again, I can see why in some instances where a speedlight is a better choice. But what if I am taking a picture in a shaded area, within wooded areas for instance, where there are major exposure changes within the picture. Using an onboard fill flash is easy and available. Don't get me wrong, I hate onboard flash and use it only as a necessity but if I get a pic and using an onboard with fill flash -1 stop, it is not harsh and compliments the picture quite well. I guess I can just fix it in LR in those instances or add my Metz with me but it is a convenience issue to me.
02-06-2015, 01:06 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Built-in flash is a convenience, no doubt about it. But sometimes, it annoys me... Why? When I'm out shooting with my K-7 and K-01, I always accidentally pop up the on-board flash and that scares me that I might unknowingly break it. Since 99% of the time that I don't use the built-in flash, I just tape those built-in flash. With these being said, the absence of built-in flash on the new full frame Pentax is just fine for me, in fact, I'm glad they didn't include that one... =)
02-06-2015, 01:15 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope it is in the final design. I find it's good at even -2 stops to quickly fill in the extremes of a daylight portrait without wielding a reflector and give a catch light in the eyes (in fact, I probably use flashes in general more in the day than night!)
02-06-2015, 01:17 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I want built in flash also. I don't see the big deal of adding one.. If you don't use it fine, but at least it would be there for people that want it. The Nikon 610, 750, and 810 FF cameras have them. So it is possible to do.

ETA: Maybe they can add a way to lock it.. for those who keep accidentally popping up the flash..lol.

Last edited by Tesla; 02-06-2015 at 01:39 AM.
02-06-2015, 01:18 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree, Tesla, so it's been one reason for me not to get a Sony A7 as well.
02-06-2015, 03:07 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
I want built in flash also. I don't see the big deal of adding one.. If you don't use it fine, but at least it would be there for people that want it. The Nikon 610, 750, and 810 FF cameras have them. So it is possible to do.

ETA: Maybe they can add a way to lock it.. for those who keep accidentally popping up the flash..lol.
Given the choice k3 size FF body no flash or d800 sized body with inbuilt flash I would give up inbuilt flash.!

In-built flash only ever useful for remote triggering or low power fill in Pro type shooting. Any other use (full flash illuminated) results in very amateurish results due to the small light source, direct beam.

There is nothing you can do about that GN<20 and .5cmx1cm freznell will deliver sub par results always so have no real convenience factor on a pro oriented camera

You want quick and dirty flash you shove a fgz540 on it, if your 'flash' shooting you shove a trigger on and fire multi remote reflectors snoots etc

Just as it wont have articulated LCD or 'user' guided menus its unlikely to have inbuilt flash as the cost (size to inc capacitor etc) far out-ways any gains for users who would never use it 'convienant' or not the IQ cost is to great.!
02-06-2015, 03:18 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote

You want quick and dirty flash you shove a fgz540 on it, if your 'flash' shooting you shove a trigger on and fire multi remote reflectors snoots etc
I have a 540, but it's nice to not have to get it out to do simple fill, and I don't always pack it.

A Fong Puffer makes a good diffuser for it, and I have a serious Fresnel lens for wildlife (a Rogur Extender) that works *only* on a built-in flash.

So I hope it comes with one. :-)
02-06-2015, 03:31 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I prefer to shoot in natural light. ofcourse I do have a separate flash but always this hassle with spare AA's, charging time etc does make me not too fond of the external flash. Interenal flash is a nice stop gap feature.
The extrenal flash is also soo bulky, I cant remember the times I have bumped them, broken them.