Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 03:36 AM   #31
Pentaxian
cxdoo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Limassol, Cyprus
Posts: 1,092
I hate the onboard flash for two reasons.

1. Stupid placement of popup button that makes me trigger it every time i want to shoot in portrait orientation.
2. Practical uselessness for everything but a pancake lens due to low position.

I'd prefer not to have it on my existing camera. Considering not buying a FF camera because of lack of it is, well, ridiculous. There are much better reasons not to buy it.

02-06-2015, 03:36 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 7,688
Yeah, I'll always have my 540 in my backpack, but never bring it in when I'm in one-lens-walk around mode.
02-06-2015, 03:41 AM   #33
Pentaxian
cxdoo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Limassol, Cyprus
Posts: 1,092
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, I'll always have my 540 in my backpack, but never bring it in when I'm in one-lens-walk around mode.
Hey, one-lens-walkaround is a excuse reason to buy K-S1 class camera!
02-06-2015, 03:44 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 7,688
QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Hey, one-lens-walkaround is a excuse reason to buy K-S1 class camera!
And of course, Cxdoo, that's what I have. :-)

Great pictures, a worthy successor to the K-x or K-01.

02-06-2015, 06:50 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,413
I like the convenience of the pop-up flash. Much of the time I'm out in the field or out with the dogs and if I'm not likely to mount or drag a hotshoe flash along. The biggest gripe I have is the trigger is too sensitive, or the flash can't be locked down. It does get bumped open, which so far hasn't broken but that's kind of lucky. I would like to see a simple slide lock for the switch, which would be more secure.
02-06-2015, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
AquaDome's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Carlisle, IN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,397
Pop-up flash is my dirty little secret. I only use it when nobody is looking. I appreciate the manual power control the K-3 allows over the pop-up flash, but its still a pop-up flash. Its in the best place they could put it, and its still in a very bad position for a flash. Its best use is for controlling another flash.

For an entry-level camera, pop-up flash is appropriate. For the K-3, I'm glad its there but I don't really use it. For the new full frame camera, I would expect that the user would have already thought about their lighting solution, be it a hot-shoe flash, bracket-mounted handle-flash, or wireless off-camera flash. If you use strobes in the studio, you may not ever notice it doesn't have a pop-up, since you never looked for it.
02-06-2015, 12:08 PM   #37
Veteran Member
bobell69's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Courtenay BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 421
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Pop-up flash is my dirty little secret. I only use it when nobody is looking. I appreciate the manual power control the K-3 allows over the pop-up flash, but its still a pop-up flash. Its in the best place they could put it, and its still in a very bad position for a flash. Its best use is for controlling another flash.

For an entry-level camera, pop-up flash is appropriate. For the K-3, I'm glad its there but I don't really use it. For the new full frame camera, I would expect that the user would have already thought about their lighting solution, be it a hot-shoe flash, bracket-mounted handle-flash, or wireless off-camera flash. If you use strobes in the studio, you may not ever notice it doesn't have a pop-up, since you never looked for it.
I use the pop up flash less frequently than in the past. I now have a tendency to use the 540 or the 360.
02-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #38
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 378
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Given the choice k3 size FF body no flash or d800 sized body with inbuilt flash I would give up inbuilt flash.!
The size shouldn't change. Take a look at the size of the body of the Nikon D610 or D750. Also adding a lock switch would solve the accidental pop up issue. Users that don't want to use it can just lock it and forget about it and yet it would be there for people that do want it.

02-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #39
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 645
To keep the camera as compact as possible there should be no pop up flash in my opinion.

Panasonic has included a small flash with their cameras that do not have a pop up flash.

Pentax should do the same for this full frame camera. Pentax should do it better by making a small and simple WR hotshoe powered Flash that at least tilts for some bounce. Swivel and Tilt would be better. It should be small enough that it would be no trouble having it with you at all time. A pop up flash for your pocket.
02-06-2015, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lyngby, Copenhagen
Photos: Albums
Posts: 742
I use the popup flash for daylight fill in family snaps. It's super convenient and if I had to drag a hot shoe flash unit along with my K-3+ DA15 shoulder combo I'd be sad.

Ricoh, please keep the popup flash like Nikon does.

Regards,
--Anders.
02-06-2015, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member
JimC1101's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fremont, Ca
Photos: Albums
Posts: 392
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
I use the popup flash for daylight fill in family snaps. It's super convenient and if I had to drag a hot shoe flash unit along with my K-3+ DA15 shoulder combo I'd be sad.

Ricoh, please keep the popup flash like Nikon does.

Regards,
--Anders.




I hope so too and I think Pentax will do it.


I think a lot of people are missing the point at times. Yes, if you are planning to do studio work or a set position, it is a no brainer, use a speedlight, but when you are out and about, on board is the best. I think a majority of the mid level and professional cameras are used by individuals who have enough experience to know how to handle and adjust the flash effect properly. I think those of us who have used if for fill know exactly how to power down our on board to get the desired result. On a P&S camera, I rarely ever used a flash because it was too close to the lens. At least the onboard is extended on a DSLR and it is easy to use. For the people who said that using on board flash is amateurish or not professional simply don't understand how to use the on board flash effectively.
02-06-2015, 02:58 PM   #42
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Manteca, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,653
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
I hope so too and I think Pentax will do it.


I think a lot of people are missing the point at times. Yes, if you are planning to do studio work or a set position, it is a no brainer, use a speedlight, but when you are out and about, on board is the best. I think a majority of the mid level and professional cameras are used by individuals who have enough experience to know how to handle and adjust the flash effect properly. I think those of us who have used if for fill know exactly how to power down our on board to get the desired result. On a P&S camera, I rarely ever used a flash because it was too close to the lens. At least the onboard is extended on a DSLR and it is easy to use. For the people who said that using on board flash is amateurish or not professional simply don't understand how to use the on board flash effectively.


Not so at all, if you know how to use speedlights(far more complicated than popup) then you know how to control the popup. Frankly the pop up flashes suck when compared to speedlights. Don't make a broad statement that you cannot backup on others skill that you have no clue of.
02-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #43
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 378
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Not so at all, if you know how to use speedlights(far more complicated than popup) then you know how to control the popup. Frankly the pop up flashes suck when compared to speedlights. Don't make a broad statement that you cannot backup on others skill that you have no clue of.
Oh so you know it all.. It doesn't hurt to have a flash built into the camera.. If you don't like it, don't use it.
02-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #44
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Manteca, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,653
Never said I knew it all, but it's isn't wise to make a broad assumption that someone doesn't know how to use a simple pop up.

Don't be surprised if/when it doesn't have a pop up flash. And trust me if it does I will most likely never use it. I can claim that the flash on my k-3 is still in New condition

Edit: I do know one thing though, a pop up on this camera will be useless to those it is intended for.
02-06-2015, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 378
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Never said I knew it all, but it's isn't wise to make a broad assumption that someone doesn't know how to use a simple pop up.

Don't be surprised if/when it doesn't have a pop up flash. And trust me if it does I will most likely never use it. I can claim that the flash on my k-3 is still in New condition

Edit: I do know one thing though, a pop up on this camera will be useless to those it is intended for.
Sorry.. I shouldn't have said that. I'm not a pro and want FF. I know popup isn't as good as speedlight, but it is still convenient for those who just need some fill.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
24x36mm, built-in, camera, dslr, entry, feature, ff, flash, full-frame, k-3, level, light, onboard, onboard flash, pentax, pop, post, sigh
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metering with M mode using onboard flash JimC1101 Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 05-14-2014 12:39 PM
Macro Onboard flash bluestringer Post Your Photos! 8 04-11-2013 06:42 AM
Using K 30 onboard flash for fill flash bcorson Pentax K-30 & K-50 12 02-18-2013 04:06 PM
Onboard Flash Na Horuk Pentax K-r 11 04-19-2012 03:32 PM
Pentax K10D and Onboard Flash matix Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 03-05-2007 07:53 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:55 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top