Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 03:36 AM   #31
Pentaxian

I hate the onboard flash for two reasons.

1. Stupid placement of popup button that makes me trigger it every time i want to shoot in portrait orientation.
2. Practical uselessness for everything but a pancake lens due to low position.

I'd prefer not to have it on my existing camera. Considering not buying a FF camera because of lack of it is, well, ridiculous. There are much better reasons not to buy it.

02-06-2015, 03:36 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I'll always have my 540 in my backpack, but never bring it in when I'm in one-lens-walk around mode.
02-06-2015, 03:41 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, I'll always have my 540 in my backpack, but never bring it in when I'm in one-lens-walk around mode.
Hey, one-lens-walkaround is a excuse reason to buy K-S1 class camera!
02-06-2015, 03:44 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Hey, one-lens-walkaround is a excuse reason to buy K-S1 class camera!
And of course, Cxdoo, that's what I have. :-)

Great pictures, a worthy successor to the K-x or K-01.

02-06-2015, 06:50 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the convenience of the pop-up flash. Much of the time I'm out in the field or out with the dogs and if I'm not likely to mount or drag a hotshoe flash along. The biggest gripe I have is the trigger is too sensitive, or the flash can't be locked down. It does get bumped open, which so far hasn't broken but that's kind of lucky. I would like to see a simple slide lock for the switch, which would be more secure.
02-06-2015, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Pop-up flash is my dirty little secret. I only use it when nobody is looking. I appreciate the manual power control the K-3 allows over the pop-up flash, but its still a pop-up flash. Its in the best place they could put it, and its still in a very bad position for a flash. Its best use is for controlling another flash.

For an entry-level camera, pop-up flash is appropriate. For the K-3, I'm glad its there but I don't really use it. For the new full frame camera, I would expect that the user would have already thought about their lighting solution, be it a hot-shoe flash, bracket-mounted handle-flash, or wireless off-camera flash. If you use strobes in the studio, you may not ever notice it doesn't have a pop-up, since you never looked for it.
02-06-2015, 12:08 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Pop-up flash is my dirty little secret. I only use it when nobody is looking. I appreciate the manual power control the K-3 allows over the pop-up flash, but its still a pop-up flash. Its in the best place they could put it, and its still in a very bad position for a flash. Its best use is for controlling another flash.

For an entry-level camera, pop-up flash is appropriate. For the K-3, I'm glad its there but I don't really use it. For the new full frame camera, I would expect that the user would have already thought about their lighting solution, be it a hot-shoe flash, bracket-mounted handle-flash, or wireless off-camera flash. If you use strobes in the studio, you may not ever notice it doesn't have a pop-up, since you never looked for it.
I use the pop up flash less frequently than in the past. I now have a tendency to use the 540 or the 360.

02-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Given the choice k3 size FF body no flash or d800 sized body with inbuilt flash I would give up inbuilt flash.!
The size shouldn't change. Take a look at the size of the body of the Nikon D610 or D750. Also adding a lock switch would solve the accidental pop up issue. Users that don't want to use it can just lock it and forget about it and yet it would be there for people that do want it.
02-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #39
Veteran Member

To keep the camera as compact as possible there should be no pop up flash in my opinion.

Panasonic has included a small flash with their cameras that do not have a pop up flash.

Pentax should do the same for this full frame camera. Pentax should do it better by making a small and simple WR hotshoe powered Flash that at least tilts for some bounce. Swivel and Tilt would be better. It should be small enough that it would be no trouble having it with you at all time. A pop up flash for your pocket.
02-06-2015, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

I use the popup flash for daylight fill in family snaps. It's super convenient and if I had to drag a hot shoe flash unit along with my K-3+ DA15 shoulder combo I'd be sad.

Ricoh, please keep the popup flash like Nikon does.

Regards,
--Anders.
02-06-2015, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
I use the popup flash for daylight fill in family snaps. It's super convenient and if I had to drag a hot shoe flash unit along with my K-3+ DA15 shoulder combo I'd be sad.

Ricoh, please keep the popup flash like Nikon does.

Regards,
--Anders.

I hope so too and I think Pentax will do it.

I think a lot of people are missing the point at times. Yes, if you are planning to do studio work or a set position, it is a no brainer, use a speedlight, but when you are out and about, on board is the best. I think a majority of the mid level and professional cameras are used by individuals who have enough experience to know how to handle and adjust the flash effect properly. I think those of us who have used if for fill know exactly how to power down our on board to get the desired result. On a P&S camera, I rarely ever used a flash because it was too close to the lens. At least the onboard is extended on a DSLR and it is easy to use. For the people who said that using on board flash is amateurish or not professional simply don't understand how to use the on board flash effectively.
02-06-2015, 02:58 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
I hope so too and I think Pentax will do it.

I think a lot of people are missing the point at times. Yes, if you are planning to do studio work or a set position, it is a no brainer, use a speedlight, but when you are out and about, on board is the best. I think a majority of the mid level and professional cameras are used by individuals who have enough experience to know how to handle and adjust the flash effect properly. I think those of us who have used if for fill know exactly how to power down our on board to get the desired result. On a P&S camera, I rarely ever used a flash because it was too close to the lens. At least the onboard is extended on a DSLR and it is easy to use. For the people who said that using on board flash is amateurish or not professional simply don't understand how to use the on board flash effectively.

Not so at all, if you know how to use speedlights(far more complicated than popup) then you know how to control the popup. Frankly the pop up flashes suck when compared to speedlights. Don't make a broad statement that you cannot backup on others skill that you have no clue of.
02-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Not so at all, if you know how to use speedlights(far more complicated than popup) then you know how to control the popup. Frankly the pop up flashes suck when compared to speedlights. Don't make a broad statement that you cannot backup on others skill that you have no clue of.
Oh so you know it all.. It doesn't hurt to have a flash built into the camera.. If you don't like it, don't use it.
02-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Never said I knew it all, but it's isn't wise to make a broad assumption that someone doesn't know how to use a simple pop up.

Don't be surprised if/when it doesn't have a pop up flash. And trust me if it does I will most likely never use it. I can claim that the flash on my k-3 is still in New condition

Edit: I do know one thing though, a pop up on this camera will be useless to those it is intended for.
02-06-2015, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Never said I knew it all, but it's isn't wise to make a broad assumption that someone doesn't know how to use a simple pop up.

Don't be surprised if/when it doesn't have a pop up flash. And trust me if it does I will most likely never use it. I can claim that the flash on my k-3 is still in New condition

Edit: I do know one thing though, a pop up on this camera will be useless to those it is intended for.
Sorry.. I shouldn't have said that. I'm not a pro and want FF. I know popup isn't as good as speedlight, but it is still convenient for those who just need some fill.