Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 04:04 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Sorry.. I shouldn't have said that. I'm not a pro and want FF. I know popup isn't as good as speedlight, but it is still convenient for those who just need some fill.
It'll take a lot more than that to offend me don't mind me though I'm generally grumpy most of the time anyway. Who knows it May have pop up, it may not. Time will tell though.

02-06-2015, 04:10 PM   #47
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Who knows it May have pop up, it may not.
That would be my guess, too.
IF I buy one the presence or lack of a built-in flash will have no bearing on the decision whatsoever.
If I buy the FF and it has one, I will likely use the built-in occasionally. If it doesn't have one, I won't.
02-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Edit: I do know one thing though, a pop up on this camera will be useless to those it is intended for.
Well, Canon agrees with you, J2photos, Nikon does not. :-)
02-06-2015, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
Talking about flash, I wonder if the engineers decided to keep the standard 1/180 sec sync speed on the new FF. Maybe they could incorporate two or three sync speeds; 1/180th for legacy, and maybe 1/200th or 1/250th for a redesigned dedicated flash.
Old flashes would still work, but Ricoh/Pentax could make a break with the past with some new features/specs.
I don't understand how newer flashes could enable a faster flash sync speed. Are you talking about High Speed Sync? Isn't the maximum flash sync speed determined by the shutter?

02-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Isn't the maximum flash sync speed determined by the shutter?
Correct! :-)

Mind you, some have proposed being able to override that, and put up with dark banding to an extent that could be cropped out.
02-06-2015, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

Convenient? I have not raised the pop up on my K-3, well, ever. If you have a speedlight in your bag you have no need for a pop up. While some find it convenient others find it useless. Now maybe if I was unprepared and my batteries died, and I didnt have any more, AND it was a shot I could NOT miss,maybe the pop up might save me. I digress. I can understand why some may find it useful, but if youre aiming for this camera and complaining about it not having a entry level feature you might be in the wrong neighborhood.
An entry level feature? Someone who thinks the Pentax K-3 and NIkon D800 are entry level cameras is telling people they are in the wrong neighbourhood?

---------- Post added 07-02-15 at 01:30 ----------

Edit: I do know one thing though, a pop up on this camera will be useless to those it is intended for.

How can you answer this without violating the forum's T&Cs
02-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
An entry level feature? Someone who thinks the Pentax K-3 and NIkon D800 are entry level cameras is telling people they are in the wrong neighbourhood?
Oh Lord here we go, you too huh?

Look at any Canon full frame. Look at even the highest end Nikon cameras. So in retrospect, compared to the FLAGSHIP models yes, the K-3 and D800 are entry level. This camera is supposed to be the pentax FLAGSHIP right? I guess maybe it's not if you take the 645z into consideration. But hey, who am I to speak, I don't know anything about any model or brand of camera. I'm just a noob who holds a K-3 trying to make,it look like I know something about anything.
02-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #53
Veteran Member

..yes, the K-3 and D800 are entry level. ..
That is too funny! I think most will disagree with you on that one.

02-06-2015, 06:50 PM   #54
Veteran Member

That is too funny! I think most will disagree with you on that one.
When it's quoted out of context, yes it is funny.
02-06-2015, 06:52 PM   #55
Veteran Member

When it's quoted out of context, yes it is funny.
LOL.. all in good fun.
02-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #56
Veteran Member

LOL.. all in good fun.
Sorry. I forgot to add the
02-06-2015, 07:12 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Never said I knew it all, but it's isn't wise to make a broad assumption that someone doesn't know how to use a simple pop up.

Don't be surprised if/when it doesn't have a pop up flash. And trust me if it does I will most likely never use it. I can claim that the flash on my k-3 is still in New condition

Well in actuality, how often do the average user needs a flash for most of their pics anyways so you are right, it will not be used very often. Sure, there is studio work going on out there when a flash is needed but a lot of people are using daylight pics outside and a flash wouldn't be needed in a lot of those moments anyways. I don't think most people use a pop up flash as their primary flash also. The great benefit of having a hot shoe is to use bounce effectively and an on board will not give you that ability but there are many instances where it is very usable if set up correctly for fill. Honestly, I dislike using flash as it in many instances doesn't look as natural. I chose Pentax because of it's high iso, low noise output to give natural pics with no flash but there are instances where you don't always have the choice to not use a flash.

Last edited by JimC1101; 02-06-2015 at 07:18 PM.
02-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Correct! :-)

Mind you, some have proposed being able to override that, and put up with dark banding to an extent that could be cropped out.
A higher than 1/180 sec sync speed can be achieved. The first and second curtain "simply" have to have the ability to traverse the distance across
the focal plane faster. In other words, it is the lag time from activating the first curtain until it reaches the bottom of the focal plane (and likewise for the second curtain),
that will determine max sync speed. If you do have a higher sync speed, lets assume 1/250 sec, anything longer like 1/180 sec will still work. It requires a beefier shutter
and better gears. The electronics wouldn't care.
02-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
It requires a beefier shutter
and better gears. The electronics wouldn't care.
The Pentax DSLR shutter has apparently got a really good shutter life, but it's worth changing to get a leg up on some of the Fujis and Sonys in the sync speed stakes.
02-06-2015, 10:12 PM   #60

No on board flash - yay! Waste of time and effort; only needs a hotshoe. On board flash is for noobs