Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 05:28 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No onboard flash ? :(

I know that this is a 3D printed proto and it could have been just left off in the pic when printing but it looks like they will not have an onboard flash. I am not a avid user of an onboard flash by any means with the harshness but there are times when I want to use fill flash, at least it is there, instead of having to add my external just to get better look in the shade. I think no onboard is a negative to me. There are ways to use the onboard flash without harshness just by powering by a stop and get good pics. Anyone feel the same ?

02-05-2015, 05:30 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not a big deal, IMO.
02-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most cameras that are aimed at the pro market(which this one will be) it will be assumed that you have a speedlight. PLUS, if you have to coin to drop on a fullframe body, I think its safe to assume that a speedlight wont put you out to badly.
02-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mmm, now that you mention it, does the K-3 have an onboard flash?
I do not use it at all but agree with you, it is good to know that you could count on it (like video)

02-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yes of course but it is just a matter of convenience. If I am out shooting and have an idea that I will need flash, I will be taking my flash along but if I am out in an area which was not expected such is in shaded areas in harsh overhead light, it is always nice to have the onboard just to fill, for a shot or two instead of having to add my external.
02-05-2015, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of pros use the on board flash to trigger other lights. I would never use it as a primary light, but the functionality is nice to have. That being said, I would read too much into the printed designe of a camera that is probably 6 months still from production.
02-05-2015, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Lots of pros use the on board flash to trigger other lights. I would never use it as a primary light, but the functionality is nice to have. That being said, I would read too much into the printed designe of a camera that is probably 6 months still from production.
I think you might be losing sight of the fact that most pros who are serious about it have a dedicated trigger system that is far more controllable than using onboard flash to trigger speedlights.

02-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
That being said, I would read too much into the printed designe of a camera that is probably 6 months still from production.
Yeah. OP mentioned this as well. I think the camera will have an on-board flash. I doubt this camera is such a "high tier" that it would come without flash, especially since the Pentax flash system in general is not very developed, so they can't just leave it out
02-05-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yeah. OP mentioned this as well. I think the camera will have an on-board flash. I doubt this camera is such a "high tier" that it would come without flash, especially since the Pentax flash system in general is not very developed, so they can't just leave it out
I wouldn't be surprised to see them go the same direction Canon has, that is, no full frame has a built in flash.
02-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
I wouldn't be surprised to see them go the same direction Canon has, that is, no full frame has a built in flash.
I don't think this is true. Only some Canikon FF cameras are missing the onboard flash. Nikon D600 has it, right? Haven't been keeping up with many other, recent models
02-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Pentax seem to traditionally go in Nikon's direction more, I think, in a lot of things. And all current Nikon FF's (D810/D750/D610 except the D4S and Df) have pop-up flash. Canon drops pop-up flash for all FF's, even entry-level like the 6D.

It would be a pity to see it dropped from a Pentax FF. It doesn't take up much space and it's handy.
02-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Pentax seem to traditionally go in Nikon's direction more, I think, in a lot of things. And all current Nikon FF's (D810/D750/D610 except the D4S and Df) have pop-up flash. Canon drops pop-up flash for all FF's, even entry-level like the 6D.

It would be a pity to see it dropped from a Pentax FF. It doesn't take up much space and it's handy.

But it would take away that wicked 67 looking pentaprism on top

My coworker who shoots a 5dmk3 was wondering what all my fuss was about yesterday and saw the prototype and was like "holy crap that is sexy" he has played with my k-3 over a few weekends and says later this year when he gets another body it will be a pentax. Sorry, that was unrelated but I liked the story
02-05-2015, 06:19 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

None of my favorite cameras have built in flash. I'd rather have smaller size and simplicity.
02-05-2015, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I don't think this is true. Only some Canikon FF cameras are missing the onboard flash. Nikon D600 has it, right? Haven't been keeping up with many other, recent models
No Canon FF has a built in flash, Nikon does tho.
02-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking at the "mock-up", there is a shadow under the prism and above the lens. That is where the flash is. Don't let the pyramid shaped prism housing misdirect you.