Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 12:21 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hmmm.....so you always bring your speed light with you when you need fill flash, which could be outdoors or in low light indoor situations?

Sometimes I think people only take pictures in studio where lighting is perfect or they always carry their camera bag just in case they need to add on their hot shoe flash. Oh well, I guess for the ones who think that they would never use an on board flash in those unexpected situations, maybe they will just use a lighter or a match.....or candle if they are eating at a candlelight restaurant. Also, sometimes I think people who use on board flash keep it at full power.....yeah, that is for noobs......but there is a level of on board which can be stopped down just using it to compliment a picture with less than perfect light which is not even noticeable as a flash picture is actually very easy to do.

Last edited by JimC1101; 02-07-2015 at 12:28 AM.
02-07-2015, 12:24 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CypherOz Quote
On board flash is for noobs
Hardly. It's just useful sometimes - eg when a bunch of guys ask you for an impromptu shot in a dark venue at the close of their gig. I didn't have an off-camera flash with me at the time because flash use during the gig was prohibited.

Hence useful.
02-07-2015, 12:34 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
My point exactly....your pic looks great and a perfect example of what I have tried to explain to others. Sometime it is like they only think perfect lighting.....use their hot shoe.....there are many instances where you wont have your external with you and it works great in certain conditions. I guess a lot of people don't see the "Big Picture" of all of the instances where an on board would be beneficial.
02-07-2015, 12:48 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do carry my bag with me everywhere. But that's just me, and I'm weird.

02-07-2015, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #65
Veteran Member

No on board flash - yay! Waste of time and effort; only needs a hotshoe. On board flash is for noobs

Sigh.
02-07-2015, 01:10 AM   #66
Veteran Member

I wouldn't say it's for noobs, it's for in a pinch, didn't bring all the gear you might just need. I actually used to use mine when I had a k20 but I bought a fong hot shoe diffuser to combat how harsh it was. Now I just keep my speedlight with me.
02-07-2015, 01:11 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
I do carry my bag with me everywhere. But that's just me, and I'm weird.
I thought this thread would die..lol. Your not weird, but I do tend to just pack what I think I'll use. Anyway I don't see how having a built in flash is a negative. And accidental popup can be solved with a lock switch. Just like I don't see a negative for tilted screen.. just because a camera has a feature doesn't mean you have to use it.

02-07-2015, 01:18 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
I thought this thread would die..lol. Your not weird, but I do tend to just pack what I think I'll use. Anyway I don't see how having a built in flash is a negative. And accidental popup can be solved with a lock switch. Just like I don't see a negative for tilted screen.. just because a camera has a feature doesn't mean you have to use it.

At this rate it may never die I'm sure everyone thought the "why I won't buy a k-3" thread would die.
02-07-2015, 01:24 AM   #69
Pentaxian

lol.. well the way I look at it, right now there is only one FF camera.. so load it up with as many features as possible to make everyone happy... then when and if they expand the FF line to multiple bodies they can make a die hard pro version with no video, no popup flash, no tilted screen, etc.
02-07-2015, 02:29 AM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Sigh.
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
I wouldn't say it's for noobs, it's for in a pinch, didn't bring all the gear you might just need. I actually used to use mine when I had a k20 but I bought a fong hot shoe diffuser to combat how harsh it was. Now I just keep my speedlight with me.
The point being that the light from on-board is pretty crappy; if you are shooting with a 35mm sensor then you should have your lighting sorted.
Eg. the Nikon D4s does not have an inbuilt flash
02-07-2015, 04:14 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only way I would use onboard flash would be trigger off camera flashes. I just hate the direct flash look it creates. I have seen some good results with macros and onboard flash, but my person experience has been really negative -- harsh shadows and people that look like mimes. With full frame, you have the option to push your iso a little higher, but it also doesn't take much space to stick a Metz or Pentax flash in the bag, either.
02-07-2015, 04:24 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If so - I don't think that's a big problem. Most of my directly "flashed" images aren't very good (taken with K5).

I think in the future continous and flashed led light will take a bigger role in lighting sceneries. Combined with the advanced ISO capabilities of the new camera we should get all we need.
02-07-2015, 04:41 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Eg. the Nikon D4s does not have an inbuilt flash
But the D610/D750/D810 do ...

The lack of a built-in flash would not be a deal-breaker for me, but a built-in flash seems one of those added extra value features that are characteristic of Pentax, so I would be surprised to see it omitted.
02-07-2015, 05:40 AM   #74

Never used the onboard flash for my K5, if leaving it off gives them more time/space for other things, good!
02-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #75
Forum Member

Besides normal pictures in dark, or fill flash in natural light, onboard flash is handy when documenting stuff, and goal is not "artistic" picture. A while ago I used built-in flash as memory help when disassembling/renovating my computer. Before that I documented a wasp nest in a dark shed when planning my later commando attack.

Cameras have many uses, mind you.