Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use onboard flash all the time to trigger the main flash unit in my other hand. Camera in one hand, flash in the other - very flexible, allows me to orient the flash according to the room as I move about - get some great shots.

02-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drawbar Quote
Before that I documented a wasp nest in a dark shed when planning my later commando attack.

Cameras have many uses, mind you.

Last edited by j2photos; 02-07-2015 at 10:46 AM.
02-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #78

Besides normal pictures in dark, or fill flash in natural light, onboard flash is handy when documenting stuff, and goal is not "artistic" picture. A while ago I used built-in flash as memory help when disassembling/renovating my computer. Before that I documented a wasp nest in a dark shed when planning my later commando attack.

Cameras have many uses, mind you.
For those things you should probably be using a handy smartphone rather than a comparatively huge, bulky, full frame, professional DSLR.
02-07-2015, 10:33 AM   #79
Pentaxian

I think we have a failure to communicate here. Anecdotes about built-in flash being useful because that was all you had miss the point; the point being - you don't carry a FF DSLR casually, it's just too big & heavy for that. And if you're packing it, you're supposed to pack your light too, because it makes no difference in weight but a huge one in quality of light.
There's no outcry against built-in flash in principle, just against it in a high end (& hefty) body.

02-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #80
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SimonomiS Quote
For those things you should probably be using a handy smartphone rather than a comparatively huge, bulky, full frame, professional DSLR.
Unfortunately my phone camera as yet does not take Pentax 55-300 that was used in the wasp situation..

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2015 at 19:50 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
I think we have a failure to communicate here. Anecdotes about built-in flash being useful because that was all you had miss the point; the point being - you don't carry a FF DSLR casually, it's just too big & heavy for that. And if you're packing it, you're supposed to pack your light too, because it makes no difference in weight but a huge one in quality of light.
There's no outcry against built-in flash in principle, just against it in a high end (& hefty) body.

Another thing to note, it would be quite important for me, when contemplating acquiring the FF, that it is NOT heavy. Fortunately, judging by the first model, it should apparently be not much heavier than K3, which is still quite portable I think.(For now I'm using the still lighter k30.) But this is a subject perhaps better to be discussed more elsewhere.
02-07-2015, 12:57 PM   #81

Unfortunately my phone camera as yet does not take Pentax 55-300 that was used in the wasp situation..[COLOR="Silver"]
Well in that case, the Pentax X5 goes up to 580mm.
02-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #82
Veteran Member

The answer here is simple.

Offer a kit with a flash unit included and just put a hotshoe on the camera. BOOM. Best of both worlds.

02-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #83
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SimonomiS Quote
Well in that case, the Pentax X5 goes up to 580mm.
Are you suggesting I should have an extra camera for just an odd flash picture?

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
The answer here is simple.
Offer a kit with a flash unit included and just put a hotshoe on the camera. BOOM. Best of both worlds.
And you suggest that people should buy a kit with external flash for an odd flash shot. Because the camera hasn't one.

I am just saying that IF I someday should buy FF by Pentax, I hope that it has all the bells and whistles that I need in the same -but preferably compact and light - package. Same thing if my computer/monitor hasn't got a card reader, I can buy an external one, but better still if they include it. Less hassle.
02-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #84
Veteran Member

And you suggest that people should buy a kit with external flash for an odd flash shot. Because the camera hasn't one.
Exactly. Don't want a flash? Don't buy the kit with the flash unit. Don't want a kit lens? Don't get the kit with a lens included. Want both? Well for X dollars more, here is a kit with a flash AND a lens.

Its not like they're going to release this camera and only have one combination of gear that can come with it.

Pentax has been doing this since always with their cameras.

Hell, if they wanted to get really crazy they could offer the FF in a few color schemes and make a flash that matches the body.

Last edited by Sagitta; 02-07-2015 at 03:24 PM.
02-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #85

Give space to a big pentaprism in a compact body. No build in flash!? Not a big deal for most pro shooters.
02-07-2015, 03:23 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just don't think it will be that important to most of the folks who are interested in this camera, any more than they will be upset at the lack of scene modes. I doubt it is finalized either as to whether or not it will have a pop up flash.

My experience is that it isn't great light and if I was in a pinch and had the choice between using it and going to iso 12,800, I would choose the latter.
02-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I just don't think it will be that important to most of the folks who are interested in this camera, any more than they will be upset at the lack of scene modes. I doubt it is finalized either as to whether or not it will have a pop up flash.

My experience is that it isn't great light and if I was in a pinch and had the choice between using it and going to iso 12,800, I would choose the latter.
See, if they wanted something revolutionary (or at least different, as far as I can tell) they would make an onboard flash that can be swiveled/rotated so you can have something to bounce off the ceiling. That way, even if its lowslung it wouldn't matter since its use would be elsewhere.
02-07-2015, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

Agree.

I started the thread just to see what the opinions are. I did not think it would be so many replies.
If it had a built in flash but only topped out at ISO 1600, then I would be truly disappointed but without a flash, I would be just shaking my head and wondering why they don't just add all of the simple convenient things even if they only occasionally use it, or don't think it as relevant.

For others who say, a pro body should not have a flash, well, I would hope that Pentax will not keep this camera to be geared solely for the pro shooters, I hope they show the conveniences for all of our shooters. There are many time that we will shoot studio settings and an on board would not be used in those instances, especially me. I love my Metz and would never think as the on board as being comparable in terms of flash output. But on those days where I want to be out and about, using the on board effectively does the job in a pinch.

On board is all about portability and that 1 in a million chance that I need a flash (well, maybe not a million) and did not bring my Metz, I would rather use the on board, than not able to miss the shot at all.
02-07-2015, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #89
Forum Member

You don't have to be pro or semi-pro or even "serious photographer" to find FF camera useful. Many of us have for long had 35mm film cameras plus "FF" glass to go with it. Nothing new, good old views.

Maybe some people are afraid that if their top FF camera would have inbuilt flash, it would ruin the "pro" image of their gear?
02-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #90
Pentaxian

I'm not a pro.. I want FF and built in flash. Like I said before... right now there is only one FF camera.. so load it up with as many features as possible to make everyone happy... then when and if they expand the FF line to multiple bodies they can make a die hard pro version with no video, no popup flash, no tilted screen, etc.