Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 06:51 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Don't Sigma lenses with OS function fine on current k mount, though?
OS on the 150-500 is better than SR. You just have to remember to turn off SR.

02-06-2015, 06:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Could KAF3 also be something to do with support for the new AF modes and buttons on the new D-FA zooms?

My guess is more / different contacts to enable better comms between body / lens. Looking forward to finding out anyway.
02-06-2015, 07:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm also thinking that these new lenses appear to have optical shake reduction
Apparently not, just more complex AF control switches.
Certainly there is no "SR" tag in the name,
unlike the D FA 645 90mm Macro.
02-06-2015, 07:06 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

[EDIT:]Change to original post, in which I mistakenly wrote asahi man said the mount is crippled KAF2, is noted in color.

The following per asahi man on the other Forum yesterday. I have no inside information.

The new lenses are KAF3. They will use the COMPLETELY NEW DC motor focus drive only. They don't have gearing for screw drive focusing. Neither is optically stabilized. The switches on the 150~400 are for a new autofocus management and AF limiter system.

I read another credible post here that said pentaxeros.com incorrectly revealed the body mount is KAF3; the poster claims it actually is crippled KAF2, including a screwdrive motor, but I don't know that.

There is a COMPLETELY NEW IBIS (SR) system in the new body. According to asahi man these two together are the biggest technology change at Pentax in years (especially the IBIS).

Additionally there is a multi-layer 'HDII' coating, AeroBrite over SMC on the interior elements and SP on the front element.

Ricoh isn't fooling around here. These are serious releases. No corners cut, no holding back.

More to reveal, I think.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-10-2015 at 06:25 AM.
02-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The following is fiction.
Ricoh: "They want FF. Okay, let's give them FF. But we want something in return. We can remove screwdrive from the camera and they will have to buy all new lenses. Imagine the profit! And if they want to use old lenses that don't profit us, they can use the crop sensor cameras."
You say fiction... But how else would Pentax generate any profits from such a camera? The typical Pentaxian that demanded FF, needs it BECAUSE they want to use it with their existing FF lenses. Hence, no lens sales will be generated from selling to that specific group.
02-06-2015, 07:19 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
The typical Pentaxian that demanded FF, needs it BECAUSE they want to use it with their existing FF lenses. Hence, no lens sales will be generated from selling to that specific group.
Pentaxians resisting LBA? No way!
02-06-2015, 07:22 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Pentaxians resisting LBA? No way!
Exactly, with a new mount the get what they secretly want: They get to buy all new lenses.

02-06-2015, 07:27 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The focal length is also passed to the camera. Non AF lenses don't have a chip, that is why you have ro manually input the focal length for SR. But there aren't any manual focus DA lenses...I,mmnot sure about the Samyang lenses, but they are FF anyway.

Sorry it wasn't clear. Optical stabilization conflicts with in body shake reduction so rather than make users remember this and make mistakes they could set it up so that the setting on the lens could be communicated to the body enabling it to disable shake reduction or enabling it to warn the user.
02-06-2015, 07:28 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm holding on to my soon to sell FF glass, awaiting the sharks to come in for dinner when the camera is released.
02-06-2015, 07:29 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You say fiction... But how else would Pentax generate any profits from such a camera? The typical Pentaxian that demanded FF, needs it BECAUSE they want to use it with their existing FF lenses. Hence, no lens sales will be generated from selling to that specific group.
Oh, I don't know. Pentax has to make a camera that doesn't just sell Pentaxians who want to use their FA limiteds and A lenses on it or, it will be a bomb. I think backwards compatibility is a big seller and they won't lose it, but certainly Ricoh has an eye on a lot more folks than the 50 people on the forum who own 60 ancient k mount lenses and actually have money to buy a new full frame k mount camera.
02-06-2015, 07:40 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
the 50 people on the forum who own 60 ancient k mount lenses and actually have money to buy a new full frame k mount camera.
hm i might be one of those 50 then!
02-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
OS on the 150-500 is better than SR. You just have to remember to turn off SR.
My experience as well - at least past ~250mm but I do the in lens OS just because on the 150-500.
02-06-2015, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, in almost every case new lenses are just better than the legacy lenses Pentax diehards want to use. In most cases we have to accept PF and CA and even sensor ghosting that isn't present in new lenses. Once a novitiate has bought and tried and sold all the stuff he dreamed about (and found it really isn't as special as the dream made it) then he can just have a small kit of new lenses that serve his needs - or buy a couple MX'es and send them to Eric before he dies to use with his treasures. Even with the FA Limiteds, one must appreciate a style of output that isn't necessarily popular today since it is more subjective.

For example, look at the marketing for the 150~400 - it's all about MTF charts. Does anybody care about the MTF chart of the FA31 or the FA43 - or even the FA77, really?

The way Ricoh will sell lots and lots of new lenses to both APSc and FF owners is to fulfill their historic reputation of 'top class' lens design (for top dollar), and sell lots and lots of excellent consumer/prosumer lenses that are a value based on output for the money, not low price.

We have to stop looking at Pentax as a static company and Pentax products as buckets. Pentax is a Ricoh brand. It is changing and it will keep changing because the brand owner wants to change it.. The lenses are elements in a moving stream, but even they have only a ten year or so life before they change. The farther along we are from the days when a K or M or A or F or FA lens was made -the less difficult it is to compete with the 24,000,000 legacy lenses.

Perhaps Ricoh has finally decided they don't need to compete with my shelf any more to sell me a new lens or two.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-06-2015 at 09:29 AM.
02-06-2015, 07:54 AM   #29
Veteran Member

But think about it, this is how Pentax could keep the camera price relatively low. They would bring in the profits when people would realize they need new lenses for it if they want AF

Of course I hope it will have screwdrive AF. I think it would be a big mistake if Pentax abandons screwdrive, because SDM has a bad reputation. Screwdrive, while not perfect, is robust and has a good reputation. But who knows if the executives agree with this
02-06-2015, 08:01 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How about a body/mount that enables aperture-preferred automation with M-series lenses? I think it would work if the body had an option to meter after the lens stopped down. Rather than reading light reflected off the film (LX), the system could directly read what falls on the sensor - maybe? is it possible?