That would be poor.

Nikon has it, btw.

02-09-2015, 02:25 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Probably not.
Yes, I agree but it's a shame.

It would only be of benefit to older manual focus lenses. If someone wanted auto-focus, WR lenses and/or modern designed lenses with the latest coatings then the ability to fully support aperture coupling in those old manual focus lenses would not affect their purchase plans.

And it could raise the prices of old manual glass, reducing any price differential.

And it could even increase the Pentax user base if they introduced a DSLR with a film-sized sensor that further embraced the wonderfully rich legacy of Pentax lenses. It's an asset IMO.
02-09-2015, 03:00 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Nikon has it, btw.
Not all Nikons.
02-09-2015, 03:44 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That would be poor.

Nikon has it, btw.
They could prove me wrong. I just think Pentax feels like they have done a good enough job of supporting older lenses and that isn't their particular focus right now. If Pentax has the choice between, say, having decent video available and having a stop down coupler, I would think the former. But I don't own any really old glass. Most of my lenses don't even have an aperture ring.

02-09-2015, 06:30 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
But I don't own any really old glass. Most of my lenses don't even have an aperture ring.
Youngster.
02-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They could prove me wrong. I just think Pentax feels like they have done a good enough job of supporting older lenses and that isn't their particular focus right now. If Pentax has the choice between, say, having decent video available and having a stop down coupler, I would think the former. But I don't own any really old glass. Most of my lenses don't even have an aperture ring.
Barbarian
02-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #82
Site Supporter

Oh, I don't know. Pentax has to make a camera that doesn't just sell Pentaxians who want to use their FA limiteds and A lenses on it or, it will be a bomb. I think backwards compatibility is a big seller and they won't lose it, but certainly Ricoh has an eye on a lot more folks than the 50 people on the forum who own 60 ancient k mount lenses and actually have money to buy a new full frame k mount camera.
So the FA 77 LTD came out in 1999 and the DA 70 Ltd came out in 2006 yet, the FA is an ancient k-mount lens. I would point out that the FA 50/1.4 and FA35/2 are also still in the catalog and on the shelves at Adorama and BH. So are the D FA 100 Macro WR and the D FA 50 Macro.

02-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #83
Site Supporter

This camera is very compact for a 24x36 mm negative. The lens is incredibly small and compact. If you handled one of these little 55/1.8 m42 jewels or one the little 85mm/1.8 Auto-Taks, you would be sold. Even the 105mm lenses were fairly compact.

02-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
So the FA 77 LTD came out in 1999 and the DA 70 Ltd came out in 2006 yet, the FA is an ancient k-mount lens. I would point out that the FA 50/1.4 and FA35/2 are also still in the catalog and on the shelves at Adorama and BH. So are the D FA 100 Macro WR and the D FA 50 Macro.
I use the word ancient loosely. Obviously the new camera will support aperture rings to a certain extent, I just don't know if it will go beyond stop down metering.

I don't really know why someone would use the aperture ring on a lens if they could just use the A setting on the same lens. I understand there are certain applications, like macro photography where it is handy to have an aperture ring, but I personally prefer to use the rear dial on the camera to the aperture ring.
02-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
Yes, I agree but it's a shame.

It would only be of benefit to older manual focus lenses.
Not necessarily.
Setting the aperture via aperture ring is more accurate and robust.
The diaphragm actuator was originally never intended for this function.

Btw. even DA lenses have some kind of stop down indicator.
Have a look.
I cannot remember what this was good for though ... there was a thread ...
02-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The following is fiction.
Ricoh: "They want FF. Okay, let's give them FF. But we want something in return. We can remove screwdrive from the camera and they will have to buy all new lenses. Imagine the profit! And if they want to use old lenses that don't profit us, they can use the crop sensor cameras."
Nikon actually did this, but they did it the opposite way - remove the in-body AF motor from everything below the D90/7100 level so that users buying entry-level would have to supplement with new AF-S (in-lens-body-motor) lenses.

Upper-end aps-c and FF bodies kept the AF motor and could AF anything.

(This rumour has Pentax doing the opposite, which is really doubtful.)

Some nikon fanboys gave Nikon a pass on that by insisting that the D40 for example couldn't be light or inexpensive enough if the in-body motor was left in, and they were always flummoxed by bringing up the small/light/less expensive-than-d40 Pentax K100D, whihc had in-body motor.

02-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #87
Veteran Member

I really do not see the incentive of removing the screwdrive motor if the lenses you are trying to sell contain a screwdrive.
Maybe 5 years from now if they decide to stick motors in all of their new lenses...but not at this point.
02-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Not necessarily.
Setting the aperture via aperture ring is more accurate and robust.
Like if you select the apperture in Av through the wheel you see selected "f/2.8" but the camera would pick randomly something between f/2 and f/4... Come on!

Also using the apperture ring to change the apperture is slower than using the wheel and does prevent Tv, Sv, P and Auto mode to work correctly.

I'am not especially against apperture ring but for my practice, they are useless. There only a few specific case when such possibility is a feature but it add to the cost.
02-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #89
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote

I'am not especially against apperture ring but for my practice, they are useless. There only a few specific case when such possibility is a feature but it add to the cost.
Yep. It's handy if you reverse macro or free focus or put on another brand camera, but not normal shooting.

Sigma have said they don't like the mechanical aperture in the K-mount at all.
02-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
If the spec at photorumors is correct, the camera will have a KAF3 mount. Bye bye screw drive lenses?

link: Rumored Pentax full frame DSLR camera specifications | Photo Rumors
Just because the new FF camera has KAF3 doesn't mean that it doesn't have KAF2, KA, etc.

My K-30 has KAF3 and still has the screw drive.
I did mention this a while back when Pentax brought out new DC lenses (16-85mm DC WR), and more recently 18-50mm DC, that Pentax will join the motor-in-lens club.

I personally don't have any issues with screw drive lenses (very tough, last forever, and you'll replace the body before the lens).
I do suspect that existing LTD and very small cameras will keep the screw drive, as it may be next to impossible (or very expensive) to implement.

That being said, I did bring up a couple of thoughts - and now that FF is becoming a reality... this may actually occur:

1. 'Entry' level camera may come w/o screw drive - this will allow the cost to be 'less', but put camera owners in the spot of 'new DC only' or pony up a little more for one that supports screw drive and legacy glass
2. 'Mirrorless' level camera may come w/o screw drive. As these tend to be smaller/lighter/trendier (quieter) similar to a P&S, I expect this to occur.
3. All new DA zoom lenses may be DC only. As the 18-50mm DC 'may' replace the 18-55mm WR, do we see a trend in zooms ?
4. I don't expect much change (if any) in existing LTD primes. If anything, I'd expect a change from SDM to DC on 50-135mm and 60-250mm for 'reliability' reasons