Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2015, 12:32 AM   #46
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Didnt Pentax/Ricoh announce that they might use some new technology in order to enlarge images ( MP ) like Olympus does?? perhaps with this technology people will not need such a huge MP sensor and we can have enough with a 24mp.. and push a great DR and low light performance.. This is something that can be really interesting if they do it.
I just read the DP review on this camera and there are a few drawbacks from this technology, such as the fact that moving objects (such as leaves/branches) are blurred due to the multi exposure and that the resolution of a simulated High Res sensor isn't as good as it is equivalent to a strong low pass filter. Also it increases exponentially the size of your files (who needs that really, if final optical resolution isn't much better)...

02-11-2015, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
hummmm not good. as you said if the optical resolutions isnt at least equal this doesnt make that much sense.
02-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #48
Inactive Account

My Ideal Pentax Full Frame

I think the ideal Pentax FF for me would have:

*Hybrid Optical / Electronic viewfinder
*36MP Sony sensor
*ISO 60 - 51200
*High dynamic range similar to that of the Nikon D810
*Crop mode feature options like the Nikons
*10 FPS with continuous AF
*1/8000 shutter with electronic first curtain and silent/quiet shutter option
*Improved stabilization system that will work well with video as well
*superbly fast and accurate AF system with AF tracking matching that of Canon and Nikon, and with 100+ focus points covering the entire frame
*top notch built and weather sealing, possibly with integrated battery grip, but an overall much smaller size chassis than Canon 1Dx (see my attached pic to see what I mean)
*built-in WiFi and GPS
*Articulating touchscreen LCD with intuitive touch features

But honestly, there are just 2 things that I really, really want, which are the Hybrid Viewfinder and Super Fast AF. All the other items on my list are just secondary. However, that is just a wishful thinking spec list, but its never bad to dream.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS D30  Photo 
02-12-2015, 03:28 AM   #49
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Please, retain the possibility of 'catch in focus'

02-17-2015, 09:34 PM   #50
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I trust Ricoh will keep the Pentax FF true to form being the lightest, smallest and most ergonomic camera in its class.
Its functionality should also compare to the K-3/645Z favourably.
A swift and responsive shutter with smooth sound would be great.
02-18-2015, 02:11 AM   #51

can someone send the wish to release a SDK and/or open API ?!?
02-18-2015, 04:21 AM   #52
Veteran Member

All I need is the features of the K-3 with improved tracking auto-focus and 36 Mpx.

Things that would be nice, include:

focus bracketing
Tilting screen a la 645z (don't need fully articulated)
4K Video (to keep up with competitors)
automatic hyperfocal setting, depending on lens
flash sync speed of 1/250
built in WiFi and GPS
wired tethering
automatic lens calibration, using live view contrast detect to correct phase detect

I can't think of anything else.

02-18-2015, 04:23 AM   #53
Pentaxian

24 meg, ccd, monochrome, no video, no OLPF, big viewfinder, 8fps, great AF, small body, propper flash system, large tonal range, film-like grain, high iso ability and 15 ev dynamic range biased to shadow end.

i reckon they might only sell a couple, but i'd be one. lol.
02-20-2015, 03:35 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
I suspect they would sell more than a 'couple', but still not enough to be viable.
02-21-2015, 02:09 AM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
24 meg, ccd, monochrome, no video, no OLPF, big viewfinder, 8fps, great AF, small body, propper flash system, large tonal range, film-like grain, high iso ability and 15 ev dynamic range biased to shadow end.

If you scratch 'monochrome' off that list and replace the would-be video button with a monochrome button, I'm in. And, since they've recently stated they're not attached to brand if quality goes one way or the other — and since CCD would rule this out as an ISO monster — make that CCD a Dalsa. That'll get you your 15 EV dynamic range and flawless tonal range.

[edit].....Wait a second. Why do you need a large tonal range if it's monochrome?
03-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #56
Forum Member

FF Wishes

36 or 40MP sensor. Preferably a new sensor and not a re-hashed version of one being used by another manufacturer (Nikon).

Whilst 24MP has some benefits, I think it would be more difficult to sell and probably make the camera too 'niche'.

An un-crippled lens mount would be great.

4K video would certainly be nice.

A choice of 50mm F1.4 or 24-85mm kit lenses would be a good start.

Flash sync 1/250th.

Higher capacity battery than the DL-i90.

Please don't call it K-1. That name should be reserved for the K-3's (APS-C) successor. The FF series deserves a new series name.

The camera size is somewhere between the K-3 and the K20D. Hopefully no bigger than the K20D.
03-13-2015, 07:14 AM   #57

Dreams.........

To be successful with this model they will at least need to match the quality aspect of their recent past SLR offerings.......dust and water resistant, smaller size than competitors etc. and also be feature rich compared to the competition. 4K video would be a great selling point with carefully thought out button layout for switching between video and stills.

Still, as it will be around $2k for the body only, the market is much smaller at that end compared to where they've been competing thus far........so I think they would get quite a few more sales if they captured all their potential customers.......like the ones that have hung on to all their old Pentax lenses (K, Ka etc.)

Basically, if they fitted a non-crippled mount that allowed full use of all old lenses (except screw mount possibly) together with internal correction profiles in software of all old lenses, they'd have a BIG WINNER.

I know that manufacturing costs for mechanical devices are much higher than the cost of modern electronics but do not underestimate how many old Pentax lenses there are out there!

Imagine also, that the camera shipped with calibration charts etc. so that you could mount your old lens (or even a new lens for that matter) and shoot the calibration charts, then load the results into the computer software (that also ships with the camera) and be able to create and load the camera with a calibration file specifically for that lens! I know it's not that simple because to calibrate accurately you need controlled variables like even lighting etc. ....but still.......how accurate can a pre-loaded calibration file be when you consider manufacturing tolerances for all those old lenses?

One last impossible wish..........I wish I could fit my old LX interchangeable viewfinders and focusing screens.

Quite seriously, if I was a professional and I wanted to buy a modern FF SLR with matching good new lenses (at least 4 would be required)......I would probably go with another brand.

I have a host of old Pentax lenses that are in excellent condition. Why would I buy new lenses?......I'm just a hobbyist after all.
Someone at Ricoh should wake up............I am the target market.
03-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Here's my wish list (though I probably couldn't afford it even if they did make it):

• ~40MP BSI-CMOS sensor (developed from Samsungs 28 APS-C sensor ...alright, I'll take the 36MP Sony.)
  • 0.909x* 100% Hybrid Viewfinder with 1.5x zoom optics (to match the usable image circle) and frameline overlay for different aspect ratios (see here)
  • ISO 25-12800
  • 6-8 fps (as long as they can still keep it as quite as the K-3/5/7 shutters)
  • Decent buffer size (30+ RAW, 100+ jpeg) and UHS-II support tom empty it as quickly as the card(s) allow(s)
  • 1/8000 shutter with 1/250 sync
  • As much use as Pentax can get out of the IBIS mechanism (AA-sim, (sub-)pixel shift, ...)
  • AF tracking to match the competition, AF coverage as wide as possible
  • Un-crippled mount (mechanical aperture simulator)
  • Additional lens contacts to enable electronic aperture control and transmission of precise focus distances with future lenses
  • Firmware SDK with as much hardware access as possible**
  • A third control dial and as many fully customizable buttons as possible
  • As large a body as an uncompromising Viewfinder and IBIS system require
* to match the D-FA 55mm f/1.2 DC WR Limited kit lens (among other kit-options of course)
** i.e. to implement simulated apodization by moving the aperture during exposure
03-16-2015, 07:03 AM   #59

You know..........after looking at the Nikon Df once again...........I'd hold out for a LX-D if they'd be so bold.
Love that retro look.......and the ability to fit my old LX viewfinders etc. ........it's just sex on a stick!
03-17-2015, 09:30 PM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by Rumour Quote
You know..........after looking at the Nikon Df once again...........I'd hold out for a LX-D if they'd be so bold.
Love that retro look.......and the ability to fit my old LX viewfinders etc. ........it's just sex on a stick!
The Df is vanity on a stick. Sure, the front looks a little nostalgic (aside from being a behemoth compared to any film camera), but the back is basically a D800. They're saying "show the world how old-fashioned you are, but hide your dependence on digital." I know Pentax would do it right.
Rather than the crap ergonomics of the Df, they'd make a thoroughly vintage camera with a thoroughly vintage feel — without the digital workarounds and back-end layout that make the whole body the epitome of an identity crisis. The Df is not a joy to shoot.
The day they release a digital LX, MX or K1000 is the day they find themselves in the top two of the DSLR world.

Just my two cents.
-R