Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Strategy? get the new format camera when it comes out. I'm dying to put my 43 and 50 f/1.2 on it. I'm very curious to see if Zeiss start making their stuff available for K mount again though. They can fill the gap wider than 31mm, with their 2.8/25, 2.8/21, 3.5/18 and 2.8/15. The mechanical aperture coupling is hurting us here unfortunately though as shown by Sigma being slow to release the ART 50 in K mount.

02-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #32
Pentaxian

My strategy is to wait until more is known about the FF. My ideal FF would be a high pixel count that matches the K-3's density for landscape and telephoto work (~50mp sensor to match the K-3), with some sort of binnable configuration (2x2 at around 12.5mp) for low noise night photos. It would combine the strengths of the Sony A7r and A7s in a single camera. Assuming Ricoh achieves that:

Telephoto: Sigma 50-500 is FF.

Wide angle: My widest FF lens is the Samyang 14/2.8. I'd have to see how the edges look on the larger sensor, then decide whether an upgrade is needed. There aren't many ultrawide FF lenses.

Normal: I would use my FA 43. I hope to see a new 24-100 f4 WR zoom "kit" lens, too.

It all depends on the FF specs. It's possible I'll stick with my K-5 and see what eventually replaces the K-3.
02-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #33
Pentaxian

My stategy is to do my best to keep my common sense on this.

I can't see any real or needed possible improvement for me. I am initially attracted to the 150-450..... but size and weight means I'd hardly ever have it with me..... just like my Sigma 70-200..... the full frame most likely will be a bit bigger and the K3 is soooo good already..... low light performance isn't wanting with the K3...... and really really shallow depth of field is mostly not that useful ( given APC isn't that bad at this anyway).

But in the end I'll probally spend some money (the human condition again) and find out I was right (for my circumstances).....
02-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #34

I've been shooting Pentax film SLRs for decades and already have most of the FF glass I'll be looking to use. I still shoot my LX more than my K-5 (the MX-1 provides most of my day to day digital at the moment). When the K-3 arrived I chose instead to stock up on FA wide/standard lenses as I needed the aperture rings & FF coverage for film so I only have a couple of DA lenses (10-17FE & 17-70). I also have FA28-80 & FA28-105 lenses and a Sigma 70-300 APO for film.

I plan to wait for the specs of the new camera to become clear but my aim is to buy one, I'll keep the K-5 and possibly the DA lenses but I have a lot of older gear I might sell-off. The 150-450 looks ideal for airshows but I doubt I can budget for both an FF DSLR and this lens for the moment.

02-08-2015, 09:44 PM   #35
Pentaxian

My strategy is to take a wait-and-see approach. I love my current lens line-up on APS-C: Da 15, Fa 31, Zeiss 50/2 Makro-Planar, Fa 77, F 100/2.8 macro. The Da 15 obviously won't work on FF, and not sure the others would all translate into fields of view I'd be into on a FF body (the 31, for example, I'm sure would give outstanding IQ on FF body, but I think I'd find it too long for landscape work and too short for anything else). I'll probably wait and see how the new Pentax FF body is reviewed and what the cost does, and not make any moves before mid-2016. Either that will be upgrade to a new APS-C body (from my K5) or an upgrade to the FF body. If I go to FF, will sell my Da 15, likely Fa 31, keep Zeiss 50 (or sell and get an Fa 43, depending on whether or not I want AF for my FF normal lens), keep Fa 77, likely keep F100 macro. That would leave me wanting on the short end, where I'd hope for a Zeiss 21 (pipe dream?) or perhaps a Sigma 24/1.4 Art, or maybe Pentax will have something new in that range by that point?

The options to contemplate are so much greater than they were a couple weeks ago...

-Brandon
02-08-2015, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My strategy is to go in through the skylight, suspended by a single retractable cable that is precisely measured to the height of the vault, minus one inch. I'll lower myself in, and using diamond glass cutters, bore a 6 inch hole into the glass display case, through which I'll grab the crown jewels while not tripping the laser motion detectors, or waking the security guard. I'll hock the jewels on ebay, and then I'll have almost enough to purchase the new Pentax full frame camera.
02-09-2015, 04:07 AM   #37

I'm going to use a few legacy primes, then couple with one or two FA (esp. limited) lenses.

But before I do that, yes I'll do what many Pentax users will do: wait and see.
02-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Interesting ideas been thrown around here.

I'm primarily a portrait shooter, and really all I want is a wider, faster AF grid on my next K-mount camera. Flash system is a totally different topic, but the major hindrance for me right now.

My strategy right now will be to purchase the K-35mm during the first price drop, so AprilMarch 2016 I'm guessing depending on cost and developments in the APS-C body line. Since I'm a portrait shooter, and live in the short-telephoto range I don't have the need for the advantages of wide angle for a 35mm format, or the advantages of extreme Telephoto for APS-C.

Right now I firmly enjoy my FA Limiteds, DA*55, and DA*50-135 on my K3. I would definitely get a lot of use out of my FA77 on a 35mm format body, especially in smaller studio spaces (like the one I rented on Friday where even a 50mm on my D800 was too long for full body with the room I had to work with).

So, I'd buy the camera, use my existing FA Limiteds and DA*55. I'd add the 100mm Macro a little sooner than originally planned and call that my Pentax 35mm format kit.

02-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Don't forget the FA 35/2 is still on the shelves at Adorama and BH. That said, I would consider the 35 and 31mm lenses wide angle on full frame. Since getting the DA* 300mm 4 years ago, I haven't used my A 400/5.6 much. I was thinking about selling it a couple of months ago, but maybe not now.
02-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Don't forget the FA 35/2 is still on the shelves at Adorama and BH. That said, I would consider the 35 and 31mm lenses wide angle on full frame. Since getting the DA* 300mm 4 years ago, I haven't used my A 400/5.6 much. I was thinking about selling it a couple of months ago, but maybe not now.
What's your thoughts on the 400? My experience is that the A's above 135 or so are really sub-par compared to current offerings, but I've never tried the 400.
02-13-2015, 06:15 PM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
What's your thoughts on the 400? My experience is that the A's above 135 or so are really sub-par compared to current offerings, but I've never tried the 400.
Its 2x better than any of the Tokina or Sigma lenses of the same vintage. If there is a downside, its its weight and f5.6. The A 400/5.6 has the F.R.E.E. arrangement.

K200d

02-14-2015, 10:42 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Its 2x better than any of the Tokina or Sigma lenses of the same vintage.
What about compared to, say, the DA*300 or (perhaps more appropriately) one of the newer sigma/tamron tele-zooms?

Honestly the 3rd party lenses of that vintage were pretty durn bad...
02-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #43
Site Supporter

While it is definitely a great thing for Pentax to extend the product line-up, I myslf have zero interest in FF.

APS-C offers a lot of performance for the dollar and it works great with the lenses I have.

And I am still learning all sorts of things about my K-50, so I until I master that more, an upgrade seems counterproductive. And even then, I will almost certainly go APS-C.
02-14-2015, 11:00 AM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
What about compared to, say, the DA*300 or (perhaps more appropriately) one of the newer sigma/tamron tele-zooms?

Honestly the 3rd party lenses of that vintage were pretty durn bad...
I think its better than the Sigma/Tamron telezooms by a lot. The key is if you can manual focus. The only Tamron tele that I have had that is better than the A400/5.6 is the Tamron 180/2.5 SP Adaptall-II. In a large part that is because it has 2 low dispersion front elements, f2.5 and an incredible smooth quick manual focus. I have in fact used the mf 180 at night football games. As I said in post 39, I haven't used the a400/5.6 much since getting the DA* 300mm.

Edit: BTW, you can go over to the Pentax Photo Gallery and search by lenses to pull some examples with the A400/5.6 and other Pentax lenses.

Last edited by Blue; 02-14-2015 at 11:29 AM.
02-14-2015, 11:01 AM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
While it is definitely a great thing for Pentax to extend the product line-up, I myslf have zero interest in FF.

APS-C offers a lot of performance for the dollar and it works great with the lenses I have.

And I am still learning all sorts of things about my K-50, so I until I master that more, an upgrade seems counterproductive. And even then, I will almost certainly go APS-C.
I guess this isn't the subforum for you then.