Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I think you are too optimistic ... my guess is 2900 USD

02-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We can see it in 2 ways.. they can release the body at $2800 + more like the D810.. or they can release it at around $1800 $2000. +/- .. if they do it at the D810 price is FOR SURE that sales will not be that impressive at the begining 1- pentax users are not use to pay that much for bodys 2. they dont have a FF user base 3- the price advantage against D810 will be lost ..... On the other hand, if they do the release at lets say $2000 ( most ), sales will grow fast, more already pentax users will jump to get the FF, the user base will grow faster so they can put the FF lenses into more people, price will blow Nikon/Canons mind and that will make more people to take Pentax FF in count...

But we will see.. i will like to see more people shooting Pentax and price is a really important to achive this.. so it all depends how fast Ricoh will liket o place the brand in the future. They will blow the industry if they release a D810 equivalent for $1800 / $2000 .. that will make more people to buy Pentax and more people to start buying the lenses.. i hope that is that way so the brand can grow fast and catch up some market.

What will Ricoh do if just a few will buy the brand new FF at the begining?? nothing.. and even worst, what will they do if even less people will buy their new FF lenses?? they need to put all new lenses in the market and for that they need as many people possible using the FF body.

Its a business, and consumer based business so they need people to market their products..

Last edited by kooks; 02-09-2015 at 12:57 PM.
02-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kraigg007 Quote
Pentax would be smart to place the body in the $1750 range. They can't compete head to head with the Nikon D750, 810E, or Canon 5D Mark III so why make it even close. If they introduce at $1750 and it makes it way down to $1300 in 6 months, everyone wins. If they introduce a nice kit package for $2,400 and have a highly rated product, you could see a shift in the market. You may pick up the Canon and Nikon user that wants to go full frame but can't justify the price tag.
Sorry, your going to be severely disappointed. This camera will be more than $2000 right off the bat. I'm going to guess $2499 would be the cheapest based on everything we don't know.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I would be surprised (and delighted) if it were under $2500.
I would not be at all surprised if it were closer to $3000.
we are on the same page here Sandy. I'm wishing for $2500...but I think we will see it around $3000, maybe even $3400 at release with prices stabilizing at $2800 after a year or so.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
My guess is that the first Pentax FF will be comparable to the Nikon D750, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a price in the $2400-2800 range. But at the moment, there is no official information regarding this.
This is what I'm hopeful to see, a D750 with Pentax ergonomics, image processing, button layout, and advanced features (moire reduction, the rumored super-resolution sensor shift, variable white balance...etc)
02-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote

we are on the same page here Sandy. I'm wishing for $2500...but I think we will see it around $3000, maybe even $3400 at release with prices stabilizing at $2800 after a year or so.
Could be... but.. who will buy it?? Pentax users?? maybe.. all Pentax users?? no .. so considering that Pentax market ( todays market ) is small, WHY will Pentax release a body that just a FEW people of that REALLY SMALL market share will buy?? .. part of the A7 sucess in marketing is price, people saw the chance of getting a FF camera for the really attrative price ( i will not expect a $1600 price or $1700 ) but something between $2000 $2300 could be more reasonable.. Will Sony, NIkon, Canon, Oly, etc.. users switch to pentax with a $3000 body? and $2000 +lenses.. i dont think so.. the camera should be something OUT of this world, and even like that, not many people will buy it, so their market share will be even smaller..

Pentax is not at the same possition as Nikon or Canon, they already have a FF user base, people with D610 will want to switch to D810 at some time.. perhaps 6D users wil like to have a 5Dmk3.. but what about Pentax?? K3 users will buy a $3000 body?? dont think so.

So price.. ESPECIALLY at this body will play a big roll to create this FF user base.. perhaps in future releases YES.. we can think in $2500+ $3000 body.. but NOW.. this could be a really really bad move in order to spread the brand around.

If RICOH desided to get into the FF sensors is because they want to hace a share of the market.. and i mean A SHARE.. not just selling some few bodys once in a while... we have to remember that Pentax is starting from 0 at the digital ff bodys so, we are NOT AT ALL at the same level as Canikons, RICOH will need to catch market FAST.

Last edited by kooks; 02-09-2015 at 01:11 PM.
02-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks like they are going to release the world's most compact full frame DSLR, with a unique feature set and market leading ergonomics. Judging from what Kenspo has told us, Ricoh is also engaging professional photographers, and I suspect that means they will back it up with professional level support. With a decent marketing strategy this would make the photographic world sit up and pay attention. It will sell. Well.

All this costs money. Why are Pentaxians such cheapskates?
02-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

$2,249.99.......

Just put what you can away towards it and you will most likely be able to afford it...... like most have said.....the worst that can happen is you may have to wait out up to a year or so for the price to come down a bit.....this builds character!....delayed gratification that is!

With our Australian dollar where it is....... I feel a well timed US/Canada/Alaska holiday coming my way.....that will cost so much my wife won't notice if I slip a camera in as well.....hopefully it looks like a K3!

(For some reason...... holiday $$ are different to everyday $$)

If anybody needs help with sneaky camera gear buying strategies I do consult professionally.....

Last edited by noelpolar; 02-09-2015 at 02:53 PM.
02-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #22
Banned

It looks like they are going to release the world's most compact full frame DSLR, with a unique feature set and market leading ergonomics. Judging from what Kenspo has told us, Ricoh is also engaging professional photographers, and I suspect that means they will back it up with professional level support. With a decent marketing strategy this would make the photographic world sit up and pay attention. It will sell. Well.

Well probably all the people interested in photography with more cash left to join the FF of Canon or Nikon. Remember that for most users of Pentax it is either hobby or just a parttime deal in their life. So that does limit the amount of money to invest.

We also have a severe economical crisis overhere in Europe.

02-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I expect it to be priced right on or below $2000 on the US market, below/around £1500/ EURO 1800 on UK/ rest of the Europe - that is my expectation and prediction - let's see what happens
02-09-2015, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why do we think this will be the ONLY Pentax FF camera?

Who is to say whether two years after the (current) actual FF is announced there aren't
  • D810 class (first - true professional halo product)
  • D750 class (second - enthusiast camera - FF version of the K-3)
  • D610 class (third - maybe - FF version of the K50 for traditionalists, with K-S2 for younger set)
two or more FF Pentax cameras in the market with Pentax unique brand identifiers and technologies.
02-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Could be... but.. who will buy it?? Pentax users?? maybe.. all Pentax users??
I totally agree with you. $3000 is way too much. Which is why I'm hoping for a $2000-$2500 price point USD at launch, but will not hold my breath. I know it's not exactly apples to apples, but look at what they are asking for the 70-200 f2.8 that was just announced. Looking from a system standpoint Pentax looses... I could buy a 70-200 f2.8 VRII or whatever the heck the Canon equivalent is for the same or less money of what Pentax is asking. It's not competitive, especially because the Pentax lens does not have VR. Sure VR is in body, so that should in theory make it a less expensive lens?? Then you will have everyone who has heard the issues with Pentax's focus motors and they will be scared of it.

Therefore, if the rumors are true and they are specing this to be a D810 competitor with a few more Pentax bells and whistles we know and love, it will be priced like a D810, maybe even a tad more at launch because of the inclusion of said Pentax advantages.

NOW, if this talk of 36mp sensor is wrong and it ends up being a 24mp sensor, then yes, $2500 will be the ballpark in my opinion. I think by going 36mp and charging hi-resolution pricing they will kick themselves in the butt, hard.

Great question.
02-09-2015, 04:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
No, don't give up. Start saving now for when the successor comes out. Then this first body will plummet in price. We can take a hint from what happened to the original Sony A7, especially as additional models were released and a successor followed. If the price doesn't come down then you can guess extra hardware like a grip, lens, flash, etc will be included to help move inventory.
Pretty much my strategy, or at least to wait til the end of the model life.
02-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

We also have a severe economical crisis overhere in Europe.
One buys toys like this to escape the reality of our day to day stuff……..
02-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #28
Veteran Member

My guess, with early-adopter curve

Initial MSRP: $2900

After 3 months: $2799

After 8 months: $2499

After 12 months: $1900-2100 (with various discounts)

02-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #29
Veteran Member

My biggest concern here is.. ok.. let say that the Initial price is $3000 just like the D810 or D5mk3 ...So.. WHO WILL BUT IT?? Pros? mmm most pros already have a FF.. so, perhaps just a fewwwww will switch.. Pentax users?? well, pentax users are not used to pay more than $1200+/- for a body, besides WE DONT HAVE A FF BASE.

We dont have what Nikon or Canon have, RICOH have to build it, and build it fast if they want to move the inventory and generate $$$ ...

Do you guys think that RICOH could have the same success with the 645Z if they released this camera at $25.000 or $35.000 in order to "pair" it with Mamiya or Hasselblad? no, part of the success is that Pentax 645Z is the LESS EXPENSIVE ( i wont say cheaper ) and really competitive medium format around.

So why Ricoh wont take this experience and release a really nice FF body for a price that will blow the market?? they need FF costumers and i REALLY REALLY REALLY doubt that D610 users will switch to Pentax FF if they can use the lenses that they already have with a D810 for the same price.. same thing with Canon users.. So what is left? high end APS-C users... is a Nikon APS-C user willing to pay $3000 if they can buy a nice FF like the 610 for $1600 ?? and keep using the "same system".. i doubt that this will happen.

So.. here is another thing.. lets say that this is not the only model.. lets say that they will release more than one.. FOR HOW LONG.. will Pentax users wait till a new "budget" FF body comes one?? 3 months.. 5 months.. a year?? at this time many people are tempted to switch to Sony A7 system or Nikons D610.. how long will this people wait before they get MORE tired of waiting? cuz there will be a time when Pentax users that are willking to buy a FF body will say, ENOUGH, im switching.

This 1st release have to be SMART, is not just "hey lets do a pro camera" .. Who is going to buy this pro camera if most pros already have a FF camera.. they need to attract NEW FF USERS, and already FF users ( 6D, D610 for example ) that are looking for a better camera but are not willing to spend $3000 in a body.. so after a couple years.. 2 or 2 1/2.. when Pentax have some cameras out they can say.. OK.. lets release another body with some better features at a HIGHER PRICE, but when that happens, Pentax will have a sort of "FF user base" willing to upgrade their body.. but, that is something that we dont have at this time.

Is Pentax willing to get 1 sale (body) insted of lets say 4 or 5 because of the Price? 1 sale means that just 1 users MAY buy their new glass.. but selling 4 or 5 bodys at really attractive price means that 4 or 5 people MAY buy this new lenses.. and accesories, and everything that comes in game.

Last edited by kooks; 02-09-2015 at 07:54 PM.
02-09-2015, 07:36 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Why do we think this will be the ONLY Pentax FF camera?

Who is to say whether two years after the (current) actual FF is announced there aren't
  • D810 class (first - true professional halo product)
  • D750 class (second - enthusiast camera - FF version of the K-3)
  • D610 class (third - maybe - FF version of the K50 for traditionalists, with K-S2 for younger set)
two or more FF Pentax cameras in the market with Pentax unique brand identifiers and technologies.
And a student version!! That is a good marketing move.. I'm a Pentaxian because I used Pentax in college.