Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$2499 Body Only

02-09-2015, 07:48 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
And a student version!! That is a good marketing move.. I'm a Pentaxian because I used Pentax in college.
As in
  • K2DMD
  • K2
  • KX
  • KM
  • K1000
At one time or another between 1977 and today I've had at least one of each of those.
02-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Judging by the price of the new FF lenses, it won't be as cheap as we all hope. I agree with Sandy $3000 give or take a little.
02-09-2015, 08:47 PM   #34

They will have to groundbrake the market. $2k camera that have the specs of a D810 or a 5D.

Thats impossible??

Ask Hasselblad, PhaseOne, and Mamiya Leaf if that is impossible.

02-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
Judging by the price of the new FF lenses, it won't be as cheap as we all hope. I agree with Sandy $3000 give or take a little.
Lenses are forever, bodies not so much. High Lens Prices and swift body price drops are a Ricoh trademark at this stage.
02-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
They will have to groundbrake the market. $2k camera that have the specs of a D810 or a 5D.

Thats impossible??

Ask Hasselblad, PhaseOne, and Mamiya Leaf if that is impossible.
Thats what i think.. TOP camera at a really attractive price.. something that makes the market go crazy about this... a Pentax at $3000 will be just mmm another $3000 body .. but a Pentax full features matching the top FF cameras at a reasonable $2000 price will be in everybodys mouth.. and hopefully.. hands..
02-10-2015, 03:33 AM   #37
Veteran Member

The Pentax will be D810 level at $2300 IMO!
With other makers struggling with overcapacity issues due too compacts tanking, Ricoh has a chance to steal the cream from the other makers.
Considering they are trying to make a splash they may go even cheaper, especially considering the falling yen.

02-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Thats what i think.. TOP camera at a really attractive price.. something that makes the market go crazy about this... a Pentax at $3000 will be just mmm another $3000 body .. but a Pentax full features matching the top FF cameras at a reasonable $2000 price will be in everybodys mouth.. and hopefully.. hands..
Prices aren't drawn out of a hat. They are based on developing costs, parts costs, assembly costs, marketing and distribution costs etc. There's no way, or indeed no point, for Pentax to make the first FF body cheap.Firstly, its function is to attract those who sit on the 25 million Pentax FF lenses - they have no other choice for an FF DSLR. Secondly, it needs to be attractive to those who sit on the Pentax APS lenses who might be tempted to add FF; ie the camera need to have enough megapixels to make it compelling as an APS body; that means a more expensive sensor. It must appeal to those willing to pay between $2000 to $3000 for the new FF lenses for it; this won't be the cheap guys. It also need to fit into the current line-up and fill the hole between the K-3 and the 645z. It won't make a splash in the marked independent of cost; Nikon and Canon already have FF bodies at the relevant price points.
It will almost certainly feature a magnesium alloy body, weather sealing and excellent optical finder. It is also very big. It won't be cheap. It is not a high volume item. Cameras in this price segment has a limited marked and Nikon and Canon dominate it. There's no way Pentax can outcompete them on price.
I've predicted this: people will whine about the price of the FF body and their lenses.

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 02-11-2015 at 08:12 PM.
02-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Prices aren't drawn out of a hat. They are based on developing costs, parts costs, assembly costs, marketing and distribution costs etc. There's no way, or indeed no point, for Pentax to make the first FF body cheap.Firstly, its function is to attract those who sit on the 25 million Pentax FF lenses - they have no other choice for an FF DSLR. Secondly, it needs to be attractive to those who sit on the Pentax APS lenses who might be tempted to add FF; ie the camera need to have enough megapixels to make it compelling as an APS body; that means a more expensive sensor. It must appeal to those willing to pay between $2000 to $3000 for the new FF lenses for it; this won't be the cheap guys. It also need to fit into the current line-up and fill the hole between the K-3 and the 645z. It won't make a splash in the marked independent of cost; Nikon and Canon already have FF bodies at the relevant price points.
It will almost certainly feature a magnesium alloy body, weather sealing and excellent optical finder. It is also very big. It won't be cheap. It is not a high volume item. Cameras in this price segment has a limited marked and Nikon and Canon dominate it. There's no way Pentax can outcompete them on price.
I've predicted this: people will whine about the price of the FF body and their lenses.
Could be.. but if they do it like that just a few already FF ready old pentaxians will buy this camera, and honestly, i dont think thats what Ricoh seeks.. i think that as many people have this body more chances are that they can sell their new products ( lenses, grip, etc ).. But Ricoh wont to nothing of $$ if just a few that REALLY REALLY REALLY want a pentax FF will get. Many Pentax users are old, and perhaps their photography style doesnt require a FF camera, so, is this people going to buy the camera? no. People that is not that old is full of Canikon marketing, so when you tell them to choose between Canikon or Pentax camera at the same $$$ .. is almost sure that they will pic Canikon, UNLESS this camera is AMAZING.. and at this time.. we don know if it is, or if it will be.. is a risk that Ricoh can take and i dont know if is worth it. Compete in price with the D810 or 5Dmk3 is not that smart, not at this point, in the future perhaps, but now mmmmm...
02-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #40
Veteran Member

And Ricoh will lose $1000 on every one they sell. Are you going to spot them the $1000 per camera so they can follow this amazing strategy? If not you, who will do such a thing?
02-12-2015, 01:25 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
And Ricoh will lose $1000 on every one they sell. Are you going to spot them the $1000 per camera so they can follow this amazing strategy? If not you, who will do such a thing?
Well when you release a new product there are 2 ways of market this product ... attractive price and attractive features.. or just play the attractive features and see who will get it... IMO.. AT THIS RELEASE.. the 1st, when they need to make the "BOOM" and to grow their FF base, the price should be something to consider. Cuz this camera should better be AMAZING for a $3000, and the price thing is not that the camera is not worth it, its because Ricoh wont be alone at this game, Canon, Nikon and Sony are going to be there.. and they have been around longer, and have more clients, stores, stock, etc... So is it that good to try to compete with them with a body that cost the same, probably offers something really close to what they offer.. a camera that probably wont have the costumer service that the other brands have at this time...

As far as i understand from Ricoh they want to make Pentax one of the TOP brands, and in order to do that they will need costumers.. A LOT.. Perhaps yes.. they wont make that much money with a mid price body, but they will sell lenses, they will sell all the accesories, and everything that come along with the new body.. and even more important, they will be thinking in the future and not just the present.. they will have a nice stablished FF base for their second release.

Anybody here knows about Oneplus One?? the phone.. the one that is a top cellphone with awsome spects that cost $350 and matches the top Samsung/LG/Sony/iPhone that their prices are around $800 + .. and at this time the company is growing FAST, and people talk about it all around forums, street,etc.. why? because they are offering a cellphone that matches the TOP cellphones in the industry (with same hardware) for half the price.. are they loosing money?? no.. they are wining, and fast, without all the huge expences that Samsung and all the other manufactures have... So is OnePlus loosing $400 on each cellphone that they sell?? NO, probably they will not make as much as the others but they also dont have the expenses that the others have... Look for it, and tell me if that is not a good stragety for a brand that wants to grow fast into a crowed market.
02-12-2015, 05:06 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could be.. but if they do it like that just a few already FF ready old pentaxians will buy this camera, and honestly, i dont think thats what Ricoh seeks.. ..
That is not all they seek, but the reason Ricoh bought Pentax was the user pool locked in all those K-mount lenses. They are all potential customers. Starting an all new SLR system from scratch is a far less tempting prospect.
02-12-2015, 05:47 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
Yeah, this thread feels very optimistic to me, $3000 at least I'd guess.
02-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SimonomiS Quote
Yeah, this thread feels very optimistic to me, $3000 at least I'd guess.
Very likely.
02-12-2015, 07:20 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My sense is this one is targeted at professional photographers. It will probably be priced at the high end of expectations. high enough that there will be weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth on this (and every other) Pentax Forum.

My sense is there will eventually be another FF targeted at the teeth gnashers.