Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

I sure hope Pentax does not use their flash logic for Crop Mode!

Would you be mad if Pentax did not allow the shutter to fire on the new full frame camera if you had an APS-C lens on it and did not choose a Crop mode? Of course you say, that would be dumb, right? I agree, it would be dumb. So, just hope they do not use the same logic they used with flash synch speed for crop mode! Because to me, the analogy is a decent one. Pentax is the only DSLR manufacturer that does not allow a flash to fire if the shutter speed is greater than the flash synch speed (1/180). Why? Because, if they allowed it, you could have pictures that have darkness in a band of the picture. Sound familiar? If they allow you to take pictures in full frame mode with an APS-C lens on, you might have part of your picture with dark areas that might have to be cropped. Don’t you want to decide that yourself? Of course you do.

Am I suggesting that Pentax might really do that? Of course not, it would be stupid. My point is, not allowing us users to fire a flash when using 1/250th of a second shutter speed is just as stupid. So please Pentax, on this new full frame camera, simply add a menu item called “Disable Synch Protection”, or something like that, and when we change it from the default, the flash will still fire and we can deal with cropping out dark areas in post.

I would like the new camera to have a higher synch speed, but that is another thread, and I can see the argument of that would be difficult and/or costly to do. Would this be difficult or costly to do? NO. Please do it. Why NOT do it?

02-09-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should be an option like "Enable aperture ring"?
02-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Would you be mad if Pentax did not allow the shutter to fire on the new full frame camera if you had an APS-C lens on it and did not choose a Crop mode? Of course you say, that would be dumb, right? I agree, it would be dumb. So, just hope they do not use the same logic they used with flash synch speed for crop mode! Because to me, the analogy is a decent one. Pentax is the only DSLR manufacturer that does not allow a flash to fire if the shutter speed is greater than the flash synch speed (1/180). Why? Because, if they allowed it, you could have pictures that have darkness in a band of the picture. Sound familiar? If they allow you to take pictures in full frame mode with an APS-C lens on, you might have part of your picture with dark areas that might have to be cropped. Don’t you want to decide that yourself? Of course you do.

Am I suggesting that Pentax might really do that? Of course not, it would be stupid. My point is, not allowing us users to fire a flash when using 1/250th of a second shutter speed is just as stupid. So please Pentax, on this new full frame camera, simply add a menu item called “Disable Synch Protection”, or something like that, and when we change it from the default, the flash will still fire and we can deal with cropping out dark areas in post.

I would like the new camera to have a higher synch speed, but that is another thread, and I can see the argument of that would be difficult and/or costly to do. Would this be difficult or costly to do? NO. Please do it. Why NOT do it?

with the right flash you can even go above 1/250.
so it is possible
02-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
with the right flash you can even go above 1/250.
so it is possible
Which flashes do this? I may want to buy one

02-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Which flashes do this? I may want to buy one
360 and 540 with high speed sync can do that.
02-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Not only that, but any fine flash not burdening us with the deficits of pTTL sync would allow you to do that.
02-09-2015, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

What is the purpose of this thread? The OP made up a most unlikely scenario (even calling it "dumb"), to what purpose?
It won't happen. Many other "dumb" scenarios won't happen. Why would one even bother to put them in writing?

02-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi, yes, I am aware of the high speed synch function, and I have two flashes that are capable of that. I use that function occasionally, but there are many instances where it is not the best solution, one of the main issues being greatly reduced power from normal flash.

---------- Post added 02-09-15 at 01:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What is the purpose of this thread? The OP made up a most unlikely scenario (even calling it "dumb"), to what purpose?
It won't happen. Many other "dumb" scenarios won't happen. Why would one even bother to put them in writing?
The "purpose" of the thread is to create a timely analogy between how not cropping APS on full frame is a similar result to allowing a flash to fire at 1/250th of a second. Pentax should allow a flash to fire in non-HSS mode just as they will allow the shutter to fire in FF mode with an APS-C lens. Other manufacturers allow it, and it is extremely simple to implement.
02-09-2015, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
The "purpose" of the thread is to create a timely analogy between how not cropping APS on full frame is a similar result to allowing a flash to fire at 1/250th of a second. Pentax should allow a flash to fire in non-HSS mode just as they will allow the shutter to fire in FF mode with an APS-C lens. Other manufacturers allow it, and it is extremely simple to implement.
I think the post is very confusing. You have mixed a request for allowing faster flash sync with a bit of FUD concerning Pentax not allowing crop lenses to be used in FF mode. Your post so do as you like but I think it might have made more impact to just focus on one thing at a time. It was very confusing to me what you were trying to say. YMMV.
02-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Indeed; instead of making a point (regarding the usefulness of allowing the flash to fire), the FUD analogy is obscuring it. It appears like the main point is actually just an excuse for the FUD analogy. Very confusing.

jake14mw, perhaps you should make your point (without any 'extra') on the RIAC page?
02-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
So if I mount one of these on my K30 I can shoot above 1/180 sec?
02-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Only in HSS mode.
02-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
So if I mount one of these on my K30 I can shoot above 1/180 sec?
in HHS mode, yea. The caveat however, is that flash power is reduced in HHS.