Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2015, 08:34 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You mean like the kind taken by fake street photographers and dirty old men at the beach
Hey don't make fun of my art!

04-17-2015, 08:51 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For my money, a tilty-flippy screen (as Blunty called it) is the way to go. It seems more convenient and less conspicuous than a fully articulated screen. I was irked recently when Olympus came out with an articulated screen on the OM-D E-M5 II. I figure it's a video thing, though. Cameras are catering more and more to video shooters -- not surprising when camera reviews these days focus so much on video features. It seems like every camera is expected to be a video camera now, with stills shooting as a mere sideline.

However, one plus I can see to an articulated screen is that you can fold it inward so the glass is protected. I've spiderwebbed one LCD already (on my EM-5, actually) with a casual bump while the camera was swinging from its strap. Maybe we just need a snap-on cover for LCDs, sort of like a lens cap?
04-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Totally agree with this comment. I really like the tilting screen on my MX-1, because I can leave it tilted up, even between shots. I hate the articulated screen on my camcorder because it is always poking out vulnerably to the side, and I get tired of constantly opening and closing it. I suppose if I took a lot of selfies I might have more use for an articulated screen.
Since I posted my earlier comment, I bought a GH4 for video shooting, and I can say with absolutely more confidence that I prefer tilting screens, over articulated screens.

On the GH4, the articulated screen is always offset to the left, which is a literal pain in the neck/shoulders, and forces you to support the weight of the camera and lens with one hand (your right hand), lest you overstress the pivot for the articulated screen. It is an ergonomic failure. Yes, I can always swing the articulated screen back against the camera back with the screen side exposed, but that defeats the purpose of having a movable screen to begin with, you can't tilt it in place.
04-17-2015, 04:14 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
An articulating screen would be very useful for landscape imaging. There are times that I lean over a precipice dangerously to compose and focus. I would rather not break my neck, but a good image is a good image.

04-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Hey don't make fun of my art!
Yeah, and the best are with the mirror in the lens, anyway - though composition is a bit tricky. And you can trigger the camera hanging from your neck with the smartphone while looking at the LCD for unobtrusive shots.

I do like the articulated LCD . I am most likely to catch it with the strap, but it is very convenient when the eyepiece and your eye do line up. Also, I can touch it where I want to focus and take the shot, too. Some extra care must be taken as with any protruding equipment, such as the bulbous 17mm TSE.
04-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is the articulating I am after here... I've seen articulations of possible/probable articulating screens for our forthcoming FF.... Haven't had this capability since my first digital camera (a Nikon CP 5000) almost 10 years ago, and actually used it a lot (until one of my kids broke the lens argh). So, articulation on my FF seems a very welcomed addition, but when someone voiced opinion in another thread that it would be vulnerable to breaking, it got me second guessing my enthusiasm for this feature... Another said it would probably be like the tilting 645Z (just tilts straight up, right? How far?) which I would assume is plenty sturdy if it's on the Z, but the next thought for me is that tilting is also quite a bit less handy than full articulation....
To each his own but I don't want a talking camera
04-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jkobleur Quote
To each his own but I don't want a talking camera
"This composition is lacking. Please reframe."
"Do you really want to shoot this at f1.4?"
"System experiencing increased vibration. Perhaps you need to take a break?"

04-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"This composition is lacking. Please reframe."
"Do you really want to shoot this at f1.4?"
"System experiencing increased vibration. Perhaps you need to take a break?"
I have been using tilt/swivel articulating screens for years (Canon S5IS, G12, G1X, 60D, T5i) and not one of them has ever failed or broken, even when dropped. They are extraordinarily useful for on-the-ground macros, over-the-head shots, and life savers for old backs and knees like mine. A few years back, I reluctantly left Pentax for Canon when I realized that Pentax was never going to build a dSLR with such a feature. If the Pentax FF has an articulating touch screen I will come rushing back to Pentax with checque book wide open! BTW, I have never used the flip-out touch for selfies. Not all who love articulating screens are narcissists. Well, let's just say that not all narcissists take selfies!