Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To articulate or not to articulate

That is the articulating I am after here... I've seen articulations of possible/probable articulating screens for our forthcoming FF.... Haven't had this capability since my first digital camera (a Nikon CP 5000) almost 10 years ago, and actually used it a lot (until one of my kids broke the lens argh). So, articulation on my FF seems a very welcomed addition, but when someone voiced opinion in another thread that it would be vulnerable to breaking, it got me second guessing my enthusiasm for this feature... Another said it would probably be like the tilting 645Z (just tilts straight up, right? How far?) which I would assume is plenty sturdy if it's on the Z, but the next thought for me is that tilting is also quite a bit less handy than full articulation....

02-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't imagine that it would not be fully articulating since the weather sealed K-S2 just came out with a fully articulating screen.
02-13-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I prefer tilting. It's more unobtrusive. Potential subjects don't always see what you're doing. Unfolding an articulating screen to view it from different angles almost doubles the width of the camera.
02-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
That is the articulating I am after here... I've seen articulations of possible/probable articulating screens for our forthcoming FF.... Haven't had this capability since my first digital camera (a Nikon CP 5000) almost 10 years ago, and actually used it a lot (until one of my kids broke the lens argh). So, articulation on my FF seems a very welcomed addition, but when someone voiced opinion in another thread that it would be vulnerable to breaking, it got me second guessing my enthusiasm for this feature... Another said it would probably be like the tilting 645Z (just tilts straight up, right? How far?) which I would assume is plenty sturdy if it's on the Z, but the next thought for me is that tilting is also quite a bit less handy than full articulation....
The FF will probably have a tilting screen based on the design that was shown. An articulating screen has its merits for videos and selfies, but we have yet to see one in an enthusiast level FF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looking at the K-S2 pics on the review page, it looks pretty sturdy... Does it hit the shelves soon? I'd like people to abuse it for me a little bit for at least a few months before FF is released...

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The FF will probably have a tilting screen based on the design that was shown. An articulating screen has its merits for videos and selfies, but we have yet to see one in an enthusiast level FF.
Aha makes sense... The more I think about it, I could be happy either way... A straight up tilt could be really handy for being unobtrusive, kind of like TLR shooting...
02-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
I prefer tilting. It's more unobtrusive. Potential subjects don't always see what you're doing. Unfolding an articulating screen to view it from different angles almost doubles the width of the camera.
Totally agree with this comment. I really like the tilting screen on my MX-1, because I can leave it tilted up, even between shots. I hate the articulated screen on my camcorder because it is always poking out vulnerably to the side, and I get tired of constantly opening and closing it. I suppose if I took a lot of selfies I might have more use for an articulated screen.
02-13-2015, 08:02 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

but when someone voiced opinion in another thread that it would be vulnerable to breaking, it got me second guessing my enthusiasm for this feature... Another said it would probably be like the tilting 645Z (just tilts straight up, right? How far?) which I would assume is plenty sturdy if it's on the Z, but the next thought for me is that tilting is also quite a bit less handy than full articulation....
You are thinking pretty straight. Full articulation is mostly useful for triggering the shutter for selfies or working at right angles to the camera. Tilt is useful for high/low angle work. Both involve some compromise in terms of ruggedness and moisture sealing. The functionality of both can be accomplished with a field monitor.

Steve

P.S. I have had an articulating screen fail...

02-13-2015, 10:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You are thinking pretty straight. Full articulation is mostly useful for triggering the shutter for selfies or working at right angles to the camera. Tilt is useful for high/low angle work. Both involve some compromise in terms of ruggedness and moisture sealing. The functionality of both can be accomplished with a field monitor.

Steve

P.S. I have had an articulating screen fail...
True, but that's an additional cost, more power (batteries), cables and open port covers and frankly really inconvenient (I have a Lilliput). Besides, if there's no HDMI out during recording (playback only) then it's not an option at all.
Fine for tripod work or in a rig, but that's a whole different story.
02-13-2015, 10:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I prefer tilting, like the 645Z screen, and the screens of the NEX cameras I've used (NEX-5, NEX-F3).

Unless you can have both articulating AND tilt (against the camera body). Which doesn't seem possible with the K-S2, or any articulating screen camera that I've seen.
02-13-2015, 10:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
selfies
But think of the potential for fake selfies... Pretending to take selfies while scanning the scene behind...
02-14-2015, 01:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
But think of the potential for fake selfies... Pretending to take selfies while scanning the scene behind...
Good one. Or articulate it to the side, just a little bit, facing inwards. Someone is thinking you are just busy rubbing off some dirt from the side of your camera, and then snap, pictured. lol
02-14-2015, 02:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I had a fully articulated screen on my Canon G11 and loved it. Very, very useful for near ground and above head work. My Sony RX100II has a tilt screen, which is an ok substitute.
I would much prefer a fully articulated screen like the new K-S2 on the new FF.
02-14-2015, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I prefer tilting, like the 645Z screen, and the screens of the NEX cameras I've used (NEX-5, NEX-F3).

Unless you can have both articulating AND tilt (against the camera body). Which doesn't seem possible with the K-S2, or any articulating screen camera that I've seen.
The top of the line Sony SLT cameras has a screens that both tilts and articulates. They have a tilt mechanism at the top of the screen and swivel at the botton. This makes a very flexible soultion, but it might be difficult to design for DSLR as it require more space. Which might make the OVF difficult to use.

02-14-2015, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

The Sony A77II screen looks interesting and well implemented.

Certainly less messy looking than the Nikon D750 tilt screen

From what I can see, the Pentax FF won't be a traditional left-hinge design, but will flip down from the top,
judging by the [awkward] finger grip space below the viewfinder, and the lack of any visible hinge:

From the presentation of the screen in the FF mockup it doesn't look identical to the 645Z tilting screen.
However it looks like the FF tilting screen will hinge from the bottom, just like the 645Z screen, and could
probably allow a similar degree of tilt as the 645Z (35 degrees downwards and 125 degrees up) :

Last edited by rawr; 02-14-2015 at 02:43 PM.
02-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You mean like the kind taken by fake street photographers and dirty old men at the beach

Steve