Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #1

what else is pentax hiding?

After viewing the CP+ and Photokina interviews, I can't help to wonder if Pentax is holding onto something else.

In response to the first question at CP+, "How will [FF] stand out alongside the competition?", Mr Shigeru Wakashiro answered, "...not just to make it have many strengths of Pentax, besides, it's important to have other [new features] that other competitors don't have."That sentiment dates back to at least CP+ 2012.

At Photokina 2014, when asked, about weather sealed tilt screen, Hiraku Kawauchi (on the right) was mostly expressionless throughout the interview but couldn't hold back a nod and smile to this question. And now we see a vari angle in KS2 and can expect tilt on the FF -- and "weatherproof".

Even at CP+ 2012, when asked "there is always something secret somewhere", Hiraku Kawauchi said, "Of course there are things not on the roadmap," and laughed. Which means... there is always something secret somewhere!

When I think of Pentax's strengths and values over other companies:
-compactness (Q line, new retractable lens at the expense of wider aperture)
-weather seals (the vari angle and tilt screen weather seals will be a new feature on APS-C Pentax)
-SR (need I say more? AA simulation was innovative)
-commitment to the viewfinder (even lower spec'd models have 100% coverage!)

What feature do you think Pentax is hiding as their pocket Aces?

If this mock up of the D750 vs Pentax FF is correct, why.... why is it so big? https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/288523-full-frame-v...ml#post3157992 Oh yeah, and the D750 is "weather sealed" with a tilt LCD. So... what will be different?

Maybe a sensor similar to the 645 that can capture so much details in the shadows?

What will Pentax need to regain the customers they lost to FF and to retain existing customers?

Last edited by ppppsssstttt; 02-14-2015 at 10:49 AM.
02-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would think quite a bit - a lot may never see the marketplace due to many reasons - ability to manufacturer, dropped partnerships, etc. Canon and Sony makes their own sensors, while Nikon and Pentax rely on other Sony and others. There are the image processing chips that come from other manufacturers as well.

Take a look at Olympus - their 5 axis image stabilization is pretty innovative. Their (Olympus) super resolution sensor shifting has surpassed Hasselblad (their 200MP unit has been panned quite a bit), and when compared with what Pentax said about their own super resolution efforts and approach which appears to be about half the Olympus capability, may leave some folks lacking.

What Pentax has been doing quite well is overall system integration - combining their talents, knowledge and capabilities with other third parties (sensors, image processing, etc.) and coming up with a system that performs a bit better - ala Pentax using Sony sensors and having better finished results.

It is a lot of individual pieces/functional areas coming together, optics, image processing, sensors, software, mechanical packaging, ergonomics, material science and integrating together a final useable product - that appeals to the market.

The main problem is that today's innovation is tomorrow's table stakes.

02-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I'm daring to presume they have an AF-on-sensor mockup, and they will find a use for it that others have not.
Wouldn't AF bracketing be handy at 6-8FPS, for example? And if they could merge the focused segments a la HDR?
02-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

What's any manufacture hiding? What a question! Go out and shoot pictures!

02-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe they can incorporate some kind of Lytro thing in wich you can choose where the focus in the imgae is to be chosen later.
02-14-2015, 03:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Maybe there's a switch on the FF, and a new lens, to put the FF into Theta mode, allowing 360 degree panoramas, shot at full resolution.
02-14-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh: Never. I'll never turn to the Dark Side. You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me.

The Emperor: [angry] So be it... Jedi!
02-14-2015, 06:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh: Never. I'll never turn to the Dark Side. You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me.

The Emperor: [angry] So be it... Jedi!

... this explains everything about the Storm Trooper colors...

02-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I hear that the new FF's prism is actually designed around the gemstone on Jimmy Hoffa's union ring. Don't ask where they acquired it...
02-15-2015, 05:15 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I hear that the new FF's prism is actually designed around the gemstone on Jimmy Hoffa's union ring. Don't ask where they acquired it...
I half expect it to revealthe Eye of Providence when one of the Limited Trinity is mounted.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-15-2015 at 05:22 AM.
02-15-2015, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ppppsssstttt Quote
What will Pentax need to regain the customers they lost to FF and to retain existing customers?
They will need to get back to making premium glass like the FA 31, & 77mm Limited lenses. People buy into systems for the glass.
02-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #12

I think Pentax will automate sensor shifting in the FF model - ie. automate the process of making an exposure at each extreme of the sensor's travel, for people that want to stitch them together to capture a wider view or higher resolution image. Seems odd that they haven't done this before, given that it's just a firmware job. Not exactly going to set the world on fire, but useful for some.