Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2015, 02:53 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two important things for Pentax FF

I think that if the camera is still in development, we could ask Ricoh's engineers for 2 important things:

1. The best and the biggest OVF between FF cameras. 100% 0.8x, for example.
Bigger than Canon EOS-1D X - 100% 0.76x and A900 100% 0.74x.
Good for MF and AF.

2. To lay AF points wider - and it will make Pentax FF camera more attractive.

Even Canon EOS-1D X has AF points close to center, yes, it has 61 points and 61 points are advantage, of course.

02-15-2015, 03:41 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Two important things for Pentax FF
Is the correct answer?... 1) A FF Sensor and 2) A FF sensor with even more MP than the first FF sensor.

Joking aside, come on Pentax bring it on, lets get busy with a FF Pentax camera.
02-15-2015, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1) I think Pentax already has a good understanding that a bigger OVF will put them ahead in the market, And from the look of the pentaprism housing on the mock-up Pentax intends to deliver.

2) Theoretically it wouldn't be hard for Pentax to spread the AF points out further by adding some extra optics to the AF module - and by doing this Pentax could continue using the existing AF module from the K3. This would lead to less room being taken up by the AF module and leave more room for a mechanism like an aperture coupler for K series lenses.
02-15-2015, 04:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One of the things I am annoyed with is how AV mode shutter speed 1/125s is set in stone. PLEASE make that little change and give us an option to select our own shutter speed below which cameras would bump the ISO setting. This is not an issue for all AF or 'A' lenses , where TAV mode can be used, but for M42 lenses in stopped down mode , shutter speed set at 1/125s is very annoying. I wish I could sometime set it to 1/400 or higher for faster action ( below than, in slow paced situations ) - so PLEASE let us select our own value for that shutter speed in AV mode.

02-15-2015, 05:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
I wish I could sometime set it to 1/400 or higher for faster action ( below than, in slow paced situations ) - so PLEASE let us select our own value for that shutter speed in AV mode.
In Av I have ISO on the front wheel.
When I turn it to higher ISO, I get faster speeds.
Kamera K5
02-15-2015, 06:22 AM   #6
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
Full Frame- Market Launch 2015 - Page 18 - RIAC Community

we could post our wishes and ideas here
02-15-2015, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm hoping they offer a "hybrid" OVF with the ability to show histograms and perhaps even focus-peaking regions in the optical view finder. Perhaps that is why the pentaprism is so big in the prototype?

Michael

02-15-2015, 07:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I'm hoping they offer a "hybrid" OVF with the ability to show histograms
If they could display the histogram data from the 86,000 pixel RGB metering sensor that would be great - also if they make a modest increase the number of pixels on it that would make the data even more useful.
02-15-2015, 07:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Lots of great ideas here, but apart from "slightly bigger viewfinder" I doubt we will see any of them in the new FF. This is just raising unrealistic expectations, so complains can be argued after release..
02-15-2015, 07:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another thought about high magnification viewfinders is that they screw over people who wear glasses. The eye point ( another important factor in OVF design) typically gets shorter the higher the magnification gets, and it makes it hard to see the entire frame from +/-20mm away which is a common benchmark eye point for SLR viewfinders.
02-15-2015, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Lots of great ideas here, but apart from "slightly bigger viewfinder" I doubt we will see any of them in the new FF. This is just raising unrealistic expectations, so complains can be argued after release..
I think we will see some type of holographic overlay for histograms and data. By the time the Pentax FF is launched there is a good chance Sony will have the A9 with an improved EVF. Companies that continue to use OVF technology are going to have to improve the user experience. The current EVF in my A7m2 is as good as the OVF in my K-3 for my applications. I think the rise of EVF technology is good because it will finally force companies to really improve the OVF.
02-15-2015, 08:34 AM   #12
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
To say honest, 100% 0.8x is not unrealistic. Or 95% 0.85x. For example
02-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Another thought about high magnification viewfinders is that they screw over people who wear glasses. The eye point ( another important factor in OVF design) typically gets shorter the higher the magnification gets, and it makes it hard to see the entire frame from +/-20mm away which is a common benchmark eye point for SLR viewfinders.
I've been wearing glasses since I was 8 and currently sport a +9.75 diopter prescription. I'm quite
accustomed to mashing my bespectacled face against the viewfinder and even having to move around
a bit to see the whole frame. Never had a problem with the ME Super nor any DSLR. Bring on that big
viewfinder!
02-15-2015, 08:56 AM   #14
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
Pentax SF7 had biggest VF between Pentax AF cameras - 92% 0.82x Very close Z series and MZ-3.

I hope FF DSLR will be a bit bigger.
02-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
One of the things I am annoyed with is how AV mode shutter speed 1/125s is set in stone. PLEASE make that little change and give us an option to select our own shutter speed below which cameras would bump the ISO setting. This is not an issue for all AF or 'A' lenses , where TAV mode can be used, but for M42 lenses in stopped down mode , shutter speed set at 1/125s is very annoying. I wish I could sometime set it to 1/400 or higher for faster action ( below than, in slow paced situations ) - so PLEASE let us select our own value for that shutter speed in AV mode.
How is this happen? I only get 1/60 when I set the PLINE to speed in Av mode with auto-iso when I use m42 lens (the camera does not know the aperture). I would love to be able to set the minimum shutter speed somewhere, where no matter what, the shutter speed is 1/125 or higher as you said.

---------- Post added 02-15-2015 at 11:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
In Av I have ISO on the front wheel.
When I turn it to higher ISO, I get faster speeds.
Kamera K5
Yes, but you still have to crank up the shutter speed with front wheel. Typically, if you set the PLINE to speed, it will start with 1/60 (on my k-5/II and k-3). I would like it to start at higher speed initially. Am I missing something?