Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2015, 06:33 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
The pixel number on a sensor is not an independent commodity.

It brings a lot of relationships with it. For example, this link under the heading of "measurements" and Dynamic Range, shows that the D750 has higher dynamic range with its 24mp than the D810 does with its 36mp. Sony's A7s with its 12mp has higher dynamic range than the 24mp D750 and 36mp D810 at any iso over 800.

Nikon D750 versus Nikon D810 versus Sony A7S - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

To pretend there aren't interrelationships between MP and other sensor/camera design parameters is just silly.
Those are also all different sensel technology (A7s vs. D750 vs. D800) - if you want to compare apples-apples, look at 24MP D600 vs. 36MP D800 - no gain in DR or image noise for the same-gen 24MP sensor.

In other words you can't make the case that 'lower MP on same format always gives better SNR/DR'. It can correlate, but when it does you're often comparing sensors using different tech and sometimes a half-generation removed.

05-27-2015, 08:54 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
In other words you can't make the case that 'lower MP on same format always gives better SNR/DR'. It can correlate, but when it does you're often comparing sensors using different tech and sometimes a half-generation removed.
I wasn't making that case. I just collected some MP numbers from DXOmark to point out that sensor design is more complicated than simply choosing a MP number. The number of mp on a sensor is related to other sensor performance/design factors. Its not an independent variable.

From some of the above posts, it almost sounds like some folks think they can choose a MP number without pros and cons.
05-28-2015, 02:02 AM   #108

I wasn't making that case. I just collected some MP numbers from DXOmark to point out that sensor design is more complicated than simply choosing a MP number. The number of mp on a sensor is related to other sensor performance/design factors. Its not an independent variable.

From some of the above posts, it almost sounds like some folks think they can choose a MP number without pros and cons.

Most photographers will realize more value from a higher number of MPs (capture resolution) than they will lose from any of the cons mentioned thus far.
05-28-2015, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #109
Veteran Member

Folks are assuming there won;t be a big drop in SNR perf

I think we agree on that. What happens more often though is the opposite - people think they want less MP because it automatically means 'less noise', and it doesn't.

For folks who do want more resolution, I think the assumption going in is that this more MP will not bring any radical drop in SNR or DR and their wishes are based on that (safe) assumption. For example, I don't know that any small difference in SNR the D750 has over the D800 would be worth it to me to give up that additional resolution, I don't think I'd ever even notice it - it's a much smaller difference than that between the D800 and any aps-c camera, for example. I would notice the drop in resolution though.

05-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Really?? This kind of stuff is what is fueling the MP war, even though MP is not really that important. Are photos today, with the high resolution cameras, really that much better or more important than photos in the past, taken with 6MP cameras or film?
Absolutely not.

With more MP though, I can carry fewer lenses than in the past, and crop later.

That doesn't mean 100MP is the right answer, but, for me, it means that 36 is nice to have, and I'd be happier still with 50.
05-28-2015, 08:26 AM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I'd be happier still with 50.
It won't be 50.
05-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
That doesn't mean 100MP is the right answer, but, for me, it means that 36 is nice to have, and I'd be happier still with 50.
Well then I guess all you can do is use the 645 or higher. Im fairly sure you shot some good photos with the 16MP sensor, or even older ones. Good luck, though

05-28-2015, 04:18 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
It won't be 50.
OK, so 49?

That kind of confirms earlier threads. 36 MP would be OK with me, 24 MP too. Both are mature formats.

With the pixel shift feature in either, 50 MP super high resolution will be possible for those who need it (under the scenarios that work for pixel shift).
05-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #114
Veteran Member

Well then I guess all you can do is use the 645 or higher. Im fairly sure you shot some good photos with the 16MP sensor, or even older ones. Good luck, though
A shift lens is far cheaper. 72MP is good enough for me.
05-29-2015, 11:26 AM   #115
Veteran Member

The Phoblographer is saying that Sony rumors is saying that the Pentax FF will have the A7R (36 mpx) sensor...

To misquote Winston Churchill, it's a story about a rumor... But the rumor sounds reasonable.
05-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
To misquote Winston Churchill, it's a story about a rumor... But the rumor sounds reasonable.
But doesn't that sensor have some shortcommings? Spots, sensor reflections? Hopefully Pentax FF won't suffer such problems, that the kinks have been ironed out by now
05-29-2015, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #117
Veteran Member

But doesn't that sensor have some shortcommings? Spots, sensor reflections? Hopefully Pentax FF won't suffer such problems, that the kinks have been ironed out by now
I think the sensor has been around for long enough, that RiPx is aware of any problems and knows how to fix them... I was hoping for a 24ish mpx sensor myself, mostly because I personally don't need 36, though I suppose that it if they are only going to offer one line of FF, they should probably go big, especially if they want a decent DA-crop. Perhaps if the Pentax FF takes the world by storm, they will follow it up with a Nikon 610/750 type camera.
05-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #118
osv
Veteran Member

But doesn't that sensor have some shortcommings? Spots, sensor reflections?
the 24mp a7 had the sensor reflections at night, but that issue is reputed to have been resolved with the a7ii.

so pentax will be trying to compete with the d810, not the a7r... pretty big shoes to fill for a dslr.

right now there is an $1,100 price difference between the two, pentax will have to come in somewhere in that range, but it won't be near either end.
06-01-2015, 09:58 AM   #119
ogl
Banned

36 MP is the best for using APS-C lenses. I think it will be 36 MP with 16 MP APS-C mode. If it will be more than 36 MP, it's not bad too.
06-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Sony a7R II Alpha Mirrorless Digital Camera (a7RII Camera Body) B&H

Sony just announced the new A7rII with a 42MP sensor. So now we know.

It has a FF BSI Sensor.