Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Actually, the price rumored is rather disappointingly low.
My thought exactly! That doesn't sound like a top-end FF camera.

02-26-2015, 02:46 PM   #47
Forum Member

36 Mpixel, that's the first time I've seen that printed.
02-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Hmmm...
This camera + DFA Large Diameter Wide Zoom + Fast 50mm + DFA 100mm Macro + DFA 150-450mm = Bye Bye Canon
02-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Hmmm...
This camera + DFA Large Diameter Wide Zoom + Fast 50mm + DFA 100mm Macro + DFA 150-450mm = Bye Bye Canon
I will wait until Pentax has something similar like Canon:
16-35mm F/4 price < 1000 USD
70-300mm F4-5.6 < 1000 USD.
24-105mm F/4 < 800 USD and this is already in the roadmap.

I wish the optic quality exceed what Canon offers. And then, I will jump to the full-frame. Until, then I will just be happy with APS-C.

02-26-2015, 07:26 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my opinion, the FF will only be competitive and attractive, if it price like the A7 in the sub $2000.

otherwise, why bother? If you willing to pull the plug on that kind of money, might as well consider CaNikon and Sony.
02-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
If you willing to pull the plug on that kind of money, might as well consider CaNikon and Sony.
True!! .. for a price and features similar to other cameras i will consider everything.. lenses available, AF, support, resell price, etc, etc, etc ...
02-26-2015, 10:25 PM   #52
Veteran Member

What Pentax is doing is a real gamble but I think it is also a good gamble. I am in Logistics so I know when product must ship. or more importantly arrive, to be available for November week 3. For US. of course. that is Black Friday and there is interest for everything at that time of the year prior to Christmas. Shipments for Japan will be available in October which will give others a keen interest into what the camera will actually be like at that time and in users hands. I know the US is not major market share for Pentax but I am sure that it is on their mind when to ship and stock in the US. The gamble is that there are no specs but the gamble is diminished by the fact that Pentax has had some fairly reliable products and many will pre order now based on assumption and that Pentax makes good products. With all of the issues with Nikon has, that might make a difference but people would pre order also.

Pentax is also smart in what they are doing in regard to marketing or lack there of. They are not advertising but I am sure they are involved in when the rumors will occur and that will keep people reaffirmed that the FF is coming. It has only been a month and another piece of information. Next I am sure we will see a little more detail and maybe the next FF lens released in mid summer. They are dropping the bait to keep camera aficionados on their mind and ready for when the stock is in the store. I think what they are doing is great, but they don't have much choice to sell product by the end of the year at Christmas so they need to be available for customers to submit PO's to Pentax and ready for an Oct 2015 delivery time period.

I really think users are looking at this as a "new" Pentax, or Ricoh if you will. Look at the K-S2. It was a proto at CES without even a name and now, 2 months later, it is on the shelf and shipping. Users remember and they have confidence that Pentax will be on time and they will most likely save their money because they know of the Pentax name.

Last edited by JimC1101; 02-26-2015 at 10:33 PM.
02-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I think Ricoh will make it competitive and attractive. it will do the same thing as when priced the 654z.
it will be a Ricoh trend/a competitive price for MF,FF.APS/C.Q/.YEAH PENTAX GO FORWARD.

02-26-2015, 11:07 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
My thought exactly! That doesn't sound like a top-end FF camera.

I do believe that it was stated in the Pentax interview at CP that this will be an enthusiast FF when released. With that in mind, this price will be comparable to what is going in the market.
02-26-2015, 11:25 PM   #55
Veteran Member

I think the enthusiast-friendly price is a good move. It's fairly low for a full frame, but we don't have Pentax users who need a proffessional full frame camera for work (because they can't have one yet...), so they would have to recruit Canon/Nikon/Sony pros with lots of glass.
Recruiting people from other systems will be more difficult than having an enthusiast who paid $1300 for a K-3, pay a bit more for a full-frame camera. This camera will probably be $1500 on sale after a year, which will be great.
02-27-2015, 03:57 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
Recruiting people from other systems will be more difficult than having an enthusiast who paid $1300 for a K-3, pay a bit more for a full-frame camera.
+1
imo to recruit pros from canikon/sony would require existing availablitity of a broader FF lens range. Maybe better to attack prosumer market first, develop lens array and then issue a model to recruit professionals.
02-27-2015, 04:27 AM   #57
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
In my opinion, the FF will only be competitive and attractive, if it price like the A7 in the sub $2000.

otherwise, why bother? If you willing to pull the plug on that kind of money, might as well consider CaNikon and Sony.
Well, my guess is that ergonomics will be pretty good on this camera -- hopefully better than on the D610 or 6D. It will have in body shake reduction and the same sorts of features that you get with that sensor shift capability -- the astro photography unit, etc. And you'll be able to mount k mount lenses on it without an adapter and have them auto focus and auto meter.

It certainly will be enough that anyone with, say, a couple of FA limiteds and a DFA 100 macro would seriously consider it.

A release price of 2300 means that the street price will be sub-2000 within a few months. I think hopefully you see specifications similar to the D810, but with a D750 price. I doubt it will get folks to sell their Canon/Nikon gear, but it certainly will give an upgrade path possibility to people considering Pentax as a camera brand.
02-27-2015, 07:21 AM   #58
Pentaxian

I think that if Pentax FF will have good specifications, and maybe, something new, a number of pro Canikon photographer will buy this camera just by curiosity. And, with a right number of good lenses, and a more developed service system in place, more photographer will come to Pentax than we expect today.
But for this, quality is very important.

Edit. Now I just saw some articles which give an idea about fields where both Canon and Nikon has some weakness. And ways for Pentax to grow.

http://www./2015/02/17/10-things-canon-shooters-hate-about-canon/

http://www./2015/02/24/10-things-photographers-hate-about-nikon/#more-56781

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 02-27-2015 at 10:30 AM.
02-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #59
Site Supporter

How do it help to mf lens?

I hope that the display is helping to focus manually lenses, because most of Pentax fans do have also old mf lenses, I believe this is not only my hope.
02-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
+1
imo to recruit pros from canikon/sony would require existing availablitity of a broader FF lens range. Maybe better to attack prosumer market first, develop lens array and then issue a model to recruit professionals.
+2 .. it's much easier for a brand to build a FF user base doing it like this. than releaseing just a really pro model thinking that some of them might switch. That wont happen, Ricoh needs to grab new FF shooters, people that was shooting APS-C and want to do the next step.. and in most cases, this people arent looking for a $3000+ body.