Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2015, 05:19 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Maybe I am missing something...but why in the world would someone commit to buying something where we don't know the specs, the price is guaranteed to be the highest (it will most certainly decrease in price after a few months), and it is also guaranteed to have the most bugs (firmware 1.00, yuck)?

03-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Knowing this guys with his 2 D4s bodies
As an aside, I'm interested in his dual camera carrying setup for carrying those two beasts. His camera straps seem to be attached somewhere at the top of each shoulder, and his system uses the normal camera strap lugs, which rules out a Black Rapid.
03-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Maybe I am missing something...but why in the world would someone commit to buying something where we don't know the specs, the price is guaranteed to be the highest (it will most certainly decrease in price after a few months), and it is also guaranteed to have the most bugs (firmware 1.00, yuck)?
Because you want it and have the money?

I bought a K3 about six weeks after it was released and I am glad I did. I didn't experience any bugs and if I had waited a couple of months, while I would have gotten it for somewhat cheaper, I would also have missed shooting with it for those two months. In hindsight, I am still glad I got it, even though I paid quite a bit more than they sell for now.
03-04-2015, 06:09 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are an early adopter you think of the premium paid as rent for the time you used and enjoyed the camera before the price dropped.

Even today I never regret pre-ordering a K-01. I was immediately viscerally attracted to the camera - yes, I know that's different - and I don't care that I could have had one 15 months later for 1/3 the money. Frankly, of all the cameras I own the K-01 brings me the most joy just using it - and beating an SV in joy of use is a tall order!

Last edited by monochrome; 03-06-2015 at 08:25 AM.
03-05-2015, 02:03 AM   #80

And if you don't buy it at all, it would be even cheaper and trouble free - go figure!

On the other hand, there are people waiting for it for 14 long years...

Last edited by vrolok; 03-05-2015 at 04:07 AM.
03-05-2015, 06:37 AM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Because you want it and have the money?

I bought a K3 about six weeks after it was released and I am glad I did. I didn't experience any bugs and if I had waited a couple of months, while I would have gotten it for somewhat cheaper, I would also have missed shooting with it for those two months. In hindsight, I am still glad I got it, even though I paid quite a bit more than they sell for now.
Same here, I was hanging in with the K-5, I was shooting more and more small birds and the K-5 AF and large focus points needed addressing. And there was too much difference between the detail in a K-5 and a D800. Since getting the K-3 that hasn't been an issue. While I consider 16 MP a good size for printing as large as any normal person would ever want, I find with 24 MP, I am often cropping to K-5 images size. So I get my 16 MP and bit of crop room. The slow down to my computer is minimal, it's there but it's a few seconds per image, not the extra minutes I was expecting. (But then I'm also using a 3 ghz i7 so I probably shouldn't have worried about that.) The burst mode for wildlife is amazing, although when I'm shooting with my wife, it doesn't sound like I'm shooting faster than she does with her k-5, unless I turn off focus priority, which gets you a lot more OOF images.

All in all, the K-3 has been everything I hoped for, and even though i still like the K-01/K-5 IQ, the actual use of the camera is much better with a K-3, and 16 MB cropped images are infinitely more flexible for large prints.

I never pre-order anything, but I pre-ordered the K-3. Now it's only reluctantly that I use anything else. (Which reminds me, I have to get around to selling some gear.)

My only regret is it didn't come sooner. There were a few guys on here that I got to know pretty well who shoot pretty much what i do, who jumped ship before the K-3 came out.The 7100 was just too much better than the K-5 for them to wait. And apparently, once they're gone, they're gong.
03-05-2015, 01:45 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
As an aside, I'm interested in his dual camera carrying setup for carrying those two beasts. His camera straps seem to be attached somewhere at the top of each shoulder, and his system uses the normal camera strap lugs, which rules out a Black Rapid.
https://peakdesign.com/store/slide ??

probably not though.

p.s. I use that strap and it's unreal how awesome it is.

03-05-2015, 06:19 PM   #83
Pentaxian

He's vacationing is Spain right now, if you want I'll ask him when he gets back.
03-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
if you want I'll ask him when he gets back
That would be great. I'm perpetually on the lookout for good dual camera carrying options.
03-06-2015, 08:00 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
In my opinion, the FF will only be competitive and attractive, if it price like the A7 in the sub $2000.

otherwise, why bother? If you willing to pull the plug on that kind of money, might as well consider CaNikon and Sony.
except then i don't have a home for my old pk and m42 glass and any of the other three end up costing a lot more as a result.
03-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
In my opinion, the FF will only be competitive and attractive, if it price like the A7 in the sub $2000.

otherwise, why bother? If you willing to pull the plug on that kind of money, might as well consider CaNikon and Sony.
Personally, I think that 2000€ is a ridiculously high price point, but we've yet to see the specs, right? But there there's so much pent up demand/need for this beast that it will sell, and sell well enough IMHO ...

Gee, let's see, for 2000€ at my B&M store in Poitiers, tomorrow I can buy what at their retail list price ...

- a Canon 6D and have 400€ left over for something else ... or
- a Nikon D610 and have 500€ left over ... or
- a Nikon D750, but I will have to talk they down a whole 89€ (easy, piece of cake) ... or
- a Sony A7 and have 850€ left over ... or
- a Sony A7 II and have 200€ left ... etc.

Tough competition, n'est-ce pas?!

Decisions, decisions ... and I chatted it up this past weekend with my favorite B&M sales-guy and he opined that the "best thing" Pentax could do would be to have the first FF to break below the 1500€ price barrier. Yeah, right ... dream on and keeping wishing.
03-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #87
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ouch! That would be a very low price the sales guy is dreaming of, similar to the K3's initial price! I can feel that Ricoh will try to make a stand. I say this based on some recent interviews I read where Pentax is redesigning their R&D to make faster decisions, the new lenses roadmap, their emphasis in IQ, K3 and KS2, among other considerations. I would agree that the price should be kept competitive, or the sales guy would not be able to sell enough of them. Whatever happens i hope Pentax keeps it's product quality high!
03-17-2015, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #88
Pentaxian

Let's see... (warning: not to be taken seriously).
Canon 6D, an entry level camera which will be 3 years old when Pentax will announce their FF. Its MSRP was $2,099.00/£1,799. Pentax would have to launch a "K-x FF" - because the K-S1 is too modern.
Nikon D610, a costly fix for D600's oil spots issue; announced in 2013. Pentax would need a first model with oil spots on the sensor. Perhaps they could collaborate with Nikon on that?
Nikon D750. Hmm... a lucky 3rd try? Can't be done before the oil-spotted "D600" and the expensive fix "D610".
Sony A7 - discounted discontinued discounted discounted model, sold at a discount. Incorporating technologies impossible to replicate by Pentax, e.g. the amazing flexible mount.
Sony A7 II - it's an A7 with a 'II' on its name and an increase in number of metal parts to an amazing two.

Sorry, none of those would work

On a serious note, 2000€ MSRP is entry-level price; and not everyone wants an entry-level cameras and the compromises they bring. $1300 MSRP just won't happen, period (and no, Pentax won't go in a price war with Sony, that would be insane).
Even more, entry level cameras are truly feasible only by heavily reusing already developed components, taken from higher end models; yet this will be the first Pentax FF DSLR.

P.S. I would happily pay only 2000€ or less on an advanced Pentax FF DSLR; however, I don't think such a thing is feasible. I would not want to pay 2000€ or less on a compromised design. No to wobbly mounts, oil spots, APS-C AF put on a FF DSLR, entry level performance and reliability. Since it would be an important sum anyway, I would rather demand and pay for quality.

Last edited by Kunzite; 03-17-2015 at 04:08 AM.
03-17-2015, 04:20 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Kunzite, you have forgot to mention the light leak and the ''transparent'' WiFi of Nikon 750D.
03-17-2015, 04:22 AM   #90
Pentaxian

Light leaks can easily be implemented - first, make a K-3-level body then drill holes in it