Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
As Kunzite points out, in the UK we tend to have to pay more than elsewhere.

I've just spotted the D810 at £2299 at a good retailer, which a simple translator gives as about $3464. (That is where I got my numbers from; at the moment £1 = $1.5 approx). I do feel that the D810 specification is close to what I want.

Perhaps I'll change my budget to "up to £2300". I am deliberately playing safe rather than being optimistic. I would rather be delighted than disappointed when I learn the real price later in the year!

For interest, my guesses about the 3 D FA lenses on the roadmap are:
D FA* 15-30mm f/2.8: £1,000
D FA* 24-70mm f/2.8: £1,000 - £1,500
D FA 28-100mm f/3.5-f/5.6: £1,000

(I don't assume all 3 will become available this year, and I wouldn't buy them all even if they did. There is obviously overlap).
yay logic!

The D810 is currently priced (on sale) at $3299.99 CAD. so I'm thinking right around $3000 for this new camera.

I think the DA28-100 (I'm leaning more towards a 28-105 f4) I think is right on the money price point wise, theDFA 24-70 as well. I think the 15-30 may be closer to 1400 pounds tho

03-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #152
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
OK, thanks, I've seen that. That particular version is more like a Foveon simulator. There is another version which is a sort of Bayer interpolator to achieve higher resolution.

I can't think of circumstances where either of them would be useful to me, so I tend to ignore them. With 3 or 4 times the amount of raw data, they will probably seriously reduce the frame rate. And they probably won't work with studio flash.
03-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #153
Pentaxian

OK, thanks, I've seen that. That particular version is more like a Foveon simulator. There is another version which is a sort of Bayer interpolator to achieve higher resolution.

I can't think of circumstances where either of them would be useful to me, so I tend to ignore them. With 3 or 4 times the amount of raw data, they will probably seriously reduce the frame rate. And they probably won't work with studio flash.
yup, me too. but its a cool feature to have when you want it.
03-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #154
Pentaxian

yay logic!
The D810 is currently priced (on sale) at $3299.99 CAD. so I'm thinking right around $3000 for this new camera.

I think the DA28-100 (I'm leaning more towards a 28-105 f4) I think is right on the money price point wise, theDFA 24-70 as well. I think the 15-30 may be closer to 1400 pounds tho
I've seen the Tamron SP 15-30mm F2.8 Di VC USD Lens - Canon Fit on sale for £949. That was my reference.

---------- Post added 6th Mar 2015 at 05:23 PM ----------

yup, me too. but its a cool feature to have when you want it.
Chuckle! Like switchable anti-aliasing on the K-3: which I've never used, because the main place I am likely to have trouble with moire is in the studio, and I think it won't work properly with studio flash.

03-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #155
Pentaxian

I've seen the Tamron SP 15-30mm F2.8 Di VC USD Lens - Canon Fit on sale for £949. That was my reference.
Ah I see. the Tokina 16-35 f4 I grabbed for $600 CAD. They have a 2.8 that was around $900 I think. But I believe the other first party 2.8 UWA's are all around the $2000 USD/CAD range

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 10:24 AM ----------

---------- Post added 6th Mar 2015 at 05:23 PM ----------

Chuckle! Like switchable anti-aliasing on the K-3: which I've never used, because the main place I am likely to have trouble with moire is in the studio, and I think it won't work properly with studio flash.
yup! I should check that actually... I'm having an issue with softness lately. I wonder if I accidentally turned that feature on... I've only been noticing it during the winter as I haven't shot without the assistance of strobes all winter...
03-06-2015, 10:31 AM   #156
Pentaxian

I think price wise, it would be prudent for Ricoh to entice and target existing Pentax user base to buy into it first, which means it has to be attractive, close to 6D and D610 and under 2k, granted that it has to be profitable, not fire sale or at a loss. A price point close to those entry level Canikon FF models may also attract those users who are not fully committed to their brands with few lenses.
03-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I think price wise, it would be prudent for Ricoh to entice and target existing Pentax user base to buy into it first, which means it has to be attractive, close to 6D and D610 and under 2k, granted that it has to be profitable, not fire sale or at a loss. A price point close to those entry level Canikon FF models may also attract those users who are not fully committed to their brands with few lenses.
Then it should be spec'd as such. Essentially a K50 full frame instead of a K3 full frame.
03-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #158
Site Supporter

I don't expect it to be under $2000 and doubt very much it will be. I'm hoping not more than $2500, but we'll see what happens.

03-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #159
Pentaxian

aleonx3: Why do you think we'd only buy a cheap product, and not a higher quality product?

I don't know how high they could target (it depends not only on the price we'd be willing to pay, but also on having to develop new technologies required to make a competitive product); but targeting 6D/D610 level means holding back. I'm sure they won't do that.
03-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #160
Site Supporter

I just checked the price on a MKIII and it was 3k. So I'll start saving for a 3k camera and hope to be pleasantly surprised but not count in a lower price.
I'm glad I bought the iMac and opened my studio last year, I'll need to divert all equipment funds to buy ff and 2 lenses
03-06-2015, 11:49 AM - 2 Likes   #161
Pentaxian

I am part of the existing Pentax user base, and I want a high-spec FF camera at any plausible price. Think D810.

I most certainly don't want one designed-down to be "attractive" (or "affordable"). Think D610. Yeuk!
03-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #162
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I just say that if is a $2000 / $2300 i will go for it right away without even thinking too much.. if is a $3000 body i will think about how good is that investment in my case.. i will have to consider available lenses, available 2nd hand lenses, flash system, AF system and every single aspect that could justify that $3000 against the D810.. I will have to take in count also new third party lenses that are available for K mount seems like just a few third party lenses are available for Pentax.. This is why i think that as a first release they should aim for an average user, then after sales pick up and there is a good base aim for something more pro with a 2nd release.

we'll see what happens
03-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #163
Emperor and Senpai

Pentax seems to get the sensors after they've been out a bit. I see that the Nikon D800e sells for 2200 with free shipping at Abes of Maine. I have bought from them before and had good luck. Nikon D800E FX-Format D-SLR Camera Body

I'll leave that for you to draw whatever conclusions you will. I imagine that when Pentax has the 36mp camera released Canikony will all be at ~50mp and the same price points the A7r, 5D mkIII, and D810 all are at now.
03-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #164
Pentaxian

Sorry, I meant price wise to compete with D610 or 6D, or may be little higher like D750... but spec wise, should be close to D810....

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 03:25 PM ----------

I am part of the existing Pentax user base, and I want a high-spec FF camera at any plausible price. Think D810.

I most certainly don't want one designed-down to be "attractive" (or "affordable"). Think D610. Yeuk!
Sorry, Barry, I meant price wise and spec wise accordingly.... see above.

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 03:26 PM ----------

Then it should be spec'd as such. Essentially a K50 full frame instead of a K3 full frame.
Sorry, I meant k3 full frame spec wise, but price wise close to D750 but not D810....
I am not not interested in k50 full frame either.

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 03:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
aleonx3: Why do you think we'd only buy a cheap product, and not a higher quality product?

I don't know how high they could target (it depends not only on the price we'd be willing to pay, but also on having to develop new technologies required to make a competitive product); but targeting 6D/D610 level means holding back. I'm sure they won't do that.
Sorry, Kunzite, I meant spec wise should be aimed high... close to D810, but price wise a little enticing for someone who is not fully committed to other brands.
03-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #165
Pentaxian

Sorry, I meant price wise to compete with D610 or 6D, or may be little higher like D750... but spec wise, should be close to D810....

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 03:25 PM ----------

Sorry, Barry, I meant price wise and spec wise accordingly.... see above.

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 03:26 PM ----------

Sorry, I meant k3 full frame spec wise, but price wise close to D750 but not D810....
I am not not interested in k50 full frame either.

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 03:28 PM ----------

Sorry, Kunzite, I meant spec wise should be aimed high... close to D810, but price wise a little enticing for someone who is not fully committed to other brands.

I don't think one could get a D810 spec'd camera for D610 pricing. Logistically not possible based on what other companies have been releasing cameras at. Sony has a home field advantage in that they own the sensor and they can reduce production/research development costs by selling said sensor to Nikon, Pentax, and anyone else that will take their money. They are also selling that sensor to the other manufactures at a healthy markup, I'm going to guess 50% or more. The sensor may be cheaper now...but they are not going to be buying it in Nikon like numbers...so how much of a wholesale discount will they get?

Now, you maybe able to close the gap down to D750 LAUNCH pricing which would be that $2500usd range. But that also depends on how much borrowed technology is used from Pentax's other products.

If they had to develop a new shutter, a new flash system, a new processing engine, a new shake reduction system, new software/firmware for the added Pentax features...plus whatever else they surprise us with, all that costs money. Not just materials, but development as well.

At the end of the day, no one has any idea how much money this camera is going to be.

I can guarantee you that it will be priced accordingly to market conditions for a camera of it's specifications. They aren't Leica.