Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2015, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #166
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Sorry, Kunzite, I meant spec wise should be aimed high... close to D810, but price wise a little enticing for someone who is not fully committed to other brands.
"A little" enticing? D810 specs for under 2000$?
There is no such thing; a cheap product is cheap. It's not a high end product sold for fewer $$$.

03-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Do anybody arond here knows the OnePlus story and how they sell a flagship phone at 1/2 the price of Samsung/Apple/etc ??

This could be something that might apply around here.. is already happening with other electronics so.. why not? its a possibility that could be around

Im not saying that this will happen.. just saying that happens with other tech devices. and big companies, helps small market companies to grow in the market.
03-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #168
Site Supporter

There won't be any free lunch, here.

A lower-spec'd (cheaper) FF may be something offered in the future, assuming this thing is a sales success, but in my view, it would be an embarrassment to be seen at entry-level pricing on launch.

Personally, no matter what the price ends up being, its too early to tell if I will buy one.

Last edited by Nakedgun; 03-08-2015 at 08:45 AM.
03-06-2015, 10:03 PM   #169
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Adorama currently has the Canon 6D body for $1399.99. There has been a better camera/printer combo at $1249 not too long ago (and I waffled on it and ended up getting 3 used lenses as I already have an ancient 5D). Maybe this will influence Pentax?

03-07-2015, 03:53 AM   #170
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Do anybody arond here knows the OnePlus story and how they sell a flagship phone at 1/2 the price of Samsung/Apple/etc ??
I'm sure there are many untold things in that video... about cutting corners, choosing cheaper components etc.
03-07-2015, 07:00 AM   #171
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There is no such thing; a cheap product is cheap. It's not a high end product sold for fewer $$$.
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
There won't be any free lunch, here. [...]
it would be an embarrassment to be seen at entry-level pricing on launch.
Low cost doesn't mean low-quality.
The Japanese broke that nexus decades ago.

Nowadays you can have cheap AND high quality. It's not automatic, but good design, modern manufacturing technology, and modern production management techniques certainly make it possible.

On the subject of the overal cost of a Pentax FF, it's worth noting that the Sony 36MP chip has been used by Nikon and Sony since about Feb 2012, so it will be well over 3 years old tech by the time Pentax puts it into a camera. Probably it will cost them more to buy the shutter mechanism or pentaprism from their suppliers than it would cost them to buy a 36MP sensor.
03-07-2015, 07:57 AM   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Nowadays you can have cheap AND high quality.
Yes? Where?
03-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #173
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am advocating that Ricoh should sell the 'anticipated' full feature FF cheap... and perhaps even pricing them higher as prestige brand may not be necessary bad either. Of course, if they sell it cheaper than the equivalence of D810 (with equal or better feature wise), I may get it sooner. If not, I will wait until the price comes down lower. Most of us have already owned the k-3 (at least that meets my current requirement) and can afford to wait. Those who can't afford to wait have already bought the FF from other brands.

03-07-2015, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #174
Pentaxian

Let's play a game - spot the thing which doesn't match:
A. HD PENTAX-D FA * 70-200mm F2.8ED DC AW, 2000 euro
B. HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6ED DC AW, 2200 euro
C. Pentax "full frame" DSLR, D810 features but D610 price.
03-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #175
Veteran Member

Let's play a game - spot the thing which doesn't match:
A. HD PENTAX-D FA * 70-200mm F2.8ED DC AW, 2000 euro
B. HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6ED DC AW, 2200 euro
C. Pentax "full frame" DSLR, D810 features but D610 price.
Chuckle! My thoughts precisely!

And to raise a few eyebrows, here are UK prices at SRS, which is normally pretty good:

D FA * 70-200mm: £1849
D FA 150-450mm: £1999

I've pre-ordered those lenses at those prices, minus a "pre-order discount" of £100 for each lens.
I have budgeted to pay up to £2300 for the Pentax FF camera, based on the SRS price of £2299 for the D810.
Obviously I would like it to be less, but I think Ricoh would be foolish to sell it cheap.

(Currently £1 = $1.5 about, and £1 = 1.4 euro about).
03-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #176

Yes? Where?
The K3 comes to mind ☺
03-08-2015, 01:51 AM   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Low cost doesn't mean low-quality.
Yes? Where?
QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
The K3 comes to mind ☺
Was the K-3 low cost at launch? I pre-ordered it and paid £1099 from SRS.

(It is cheaper now. My guess is that the Pentax FF will not be low cost at launch, but will drop in price over the following year or two).

Edit:

I wonder if Ricoh will take into account the sales of the new D-FA lenses when setting the price for the FF camera? If they sell a lot of these lenses, they will know that there are people who will pay full prices for Pentax FF equipment.
(But I suspect they already believed this, which is why they priced those lenses as they did).

Last edited by Barry Pearson; 03-08-2015 at 01:58 AM.
03-08-2015, 03:07 AM   #178
Pentaxian

The K-3 was indeed $1200/£1099 when announced; that was good value, but not cheap. Nowhere like a $3000 camera announced for less than $2000. Similarly, the Pentax "full frame" should be good value, but not cheap.
And its price might not drop like with the K-3.
03-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #179

The K-3 was indeed $1200/£1099 when announced; that was good value, but not cheap. Nowhere like a $3000 camera announced for less than $2000. Similarly, the Pentax "full frame" should be good value, but not cheap.
Yes cheap does have a negative connotation. Launch price is artifical. K3 moved from good value to "cheap" within months of release. IMO the ff will not be discounted to cheap status as quickly. To change gears a bit, I think the GR embodies quality and cheap. You get a lot for your money with that one. This probably explains why the street price is where it is 2y years(?) after its release. Coolpix A dropped drastically in relation. Pentax may gain something by not gouging early adopters and releasing the ff at a price closer to where it would naturally stabilize...like the GR. If it is a great product with great specs and proves itself to be bug free, people will see past the cheap=cheap mentality.

---------- Post added 03-08-2015 at 10:11 AM ----------

Yes cheap does have a negative connotation. Launch price is artifical. K3 moved from good value to "cheap" within months of release. IMO the ff will not be discounted to cheap status as quickly. To change gears a bit, I think the GR embodies quality and cheap. You get a lot for your money with that one. This probably explains why the street price is where it is 2y years(?) after its release. Coolpix A dropped drastically in relation. Pentax may gain something by not gouging early adopters and releasing the ff at a price closer to where it would naturally stabilize...like the GR. If it is a great product with great specs and proves itself to be bug free, people will see past the cheap=cheap mentality.
03-08-2015, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #180
Emperor and Senpai

If it is a 3k body then they will not have me as a customer for it. Yes, you can have good specs with a lower price. They can release a D810 spec camera at 2k and attract new customers for it, or they can release a D810 spec camera with new D810 prices and sell relatively few units, especially since by the time thye get around to releasing it Canon, Nikon, and Sony will have likely released their next set of bodies or at least released the specs and such on them along with dropping the price on the older ones. I can get a D800e for 2200 dollars. If I were a Nikon person why in the world would I look at Pentax with a 3k price for just the body when I have that available?

What you don't seem to understand is that you make a body to attract people and sell your high priced lenses since you now have them in your system. Why would anyone who is invested in a competitor FF system jump ship to one that has the same features their current system released a year or more previously with maybe a few tweaks, poor warranty and professional support compared to the big two, poor aftermarket support compared to the big two, etc. at the same entry price for a body?

Following the logic that Pentax has to sell at the same prices as the others means that the 645z should have been 20k or more. But hey, if you want to pay it then go for it. See the poll I created to check out what most Pentax users say about price though.