Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2015, 09:44 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Given the whining and moaning (mine included) over the last 12 years over the lack of FF, it would only be true-to-form if they priced it just high enough to cause an additional round of whining/moaning/doomed/wtfomgbbq comments from the community.

Y'know - one last poke in the eye, for old times sake.

But really I don't think it'll matter much if it's $2000, $2500, or $3000 - just based on the resale of current K-mount glass and re-aquisition of Canikon glass/body, the math (and desire) doesn't work - and they know it. I don't expect a $1500 dog (it ain't their market), and I don't expect a $4000 platinum unicorn (they can't command that yet).

So really, who cares? I've been saving for a 645/FF for years. Unless it really is a $1500 dog, in which case I'll go the 645Z route and wait for FF#2. Just stop drinking Starbucks, start saving $'s, and be happy.

And in the meantime, shoot your existing K-body like crazy. I did today - and I can say with confidence - a crappy day shooting beats a great day at the office.

02-24-2015, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #17
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
At 1900 and they have said 30-40mp I would probably place a preorder, esp if we see something like ISO 50-104k. 4k video would be cool, but I'm not concerned there. I have dedicated video cameras for that. WR is a given. Flippy screen, eh whatever, wireless, cool, but whatever.
02-24-2015, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

what about 24mp with some great extra features.. Not everything is about MP.. I'll be perfectly ok with 24mp and really nice low light performance and great dinamic range.
02-24-2015, 10:19 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
A lower price benefits Ricoh more than you, probably. Unless you already have a complete stable of FF glass, you'll end up paying for premium-priced lenses. My guess is most people are in my boat - they'll need at least one more lens - probably two. If I want to replace my DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 with their FF counterparts, each will now cost me about three times (!) what I originally paid for the APS-C versions.

So Ricoh just needs to get you in the door with a lower priced body, as usual. A couple months after you get it, it will come to you that you really do need those two extra lenses after all! We lie to ourselves as we make the initial purchase of the flashy new body, but we pay later.

So true !!! When I bought my first DSLR, I never imagined that I would spend so much on lenses afterwards,

02-24-2015, 10:43 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Anywhere in the 2000-2500 range would be reasonable IMO.
I would say incredibly reasonable.

Steve
02-24-2015, 10:58 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Seems quite low if its to compete with Canikon & have more features...was hoping for a 50MP sensor/24 crop..all in one camera,but probably would kill sales of K3...coming this late to the game ,it must have something really special to get more to switch
This one doesn't really need to attract "switchers" and, because it will be a new and untried model in the market place, would have to have some extraordinary features to get current users of other brands to even think about it. What this model Pentax needs to do is establish the brand in that market segment, with people like us buying in the first instance, and showing what it can do. The next 35FF Pentax may well be pushing the brand hard into the professional areas currently occupied by Canon and Nikon (and coveted by Sony and Samsung), but I'd be really surprised if the first entry model attempted that.
02-24-2015, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #22

i hope the sensor doesn't pass the 30MP barrier or else the noise performance might be crap..

and if you think about it and stop thinking about your dreams, and listen well to the pentax representatives... they talk about the pro market, and the best feartures to be on the 645 system... so that's their pro, high end megapixel crappola if you might say so,
and you can confirm that because when people start asking/begging for bigger flash sync on the APCS/FF DSLR's they cleverly respond:
"we're developing more leaf shutter lenses"
and we know where those belong.. (645)
launching a ff with an 50mp sensor would be shoting themselves in the foot.

24mp would be perfect, high iso performance, high frame rate, and fast focus.. if you really want to print big and do fine art, you're a seller/printer, and if you're a seller/printer you ahve more than enough for a nice 645 system...
you don't need 50megapixeis for family trips, for soccer pics, for cat pics, for "omg look a flower" pics.. you just dont.

there's this great photographer from france, he's a user here in our foruns, i totaly forgot his name.. he has some samples on the k20 (14mp) and his photographs look amazing.. it's not about the megapixels folks, please lets distuinguish ourselves from the other market (canikon)

pentax is a serious brand and should be treated like it deserves, you should all stop dreaming and thinking of it as a "Make a wish" foundation.

it probably won't have 4k, or even fullframe at 60fps. heck! they will put a video mode in it because of marketing, but they will know it will suck, and it will be intended.pentax is a serious photography brand, not some tranvestite canon "do it all but crappy" kind of thing.
Want a photo camera and a video camera? get an iphone.

i rather have a tool that will stand the tests of time and last for half a decade or even more, than to have something so that i can show off to my canikons friends ate the next nerd photowalk.

the PROFESSIONAL market, the REAL professional market use medium format, you guys should stop really dreaming the new pentax, because it's fullframe, that it will be aimed at those markets... pentax alredy reigns the PRO-Market, and that is the 645Z (vs hasselblad and phaseone)
again, everytime people start asking/talking about "professional market"
pentax gives us the same; talk about 645 system.

check the link for a portrait, two days ago. if i had 50megapixeis or a k3, would tis picture look better?... we all know it wouldn't... pentax is not about being technical and top notch, pentax is like the Apple of the cameras, they don't have the best specs comparing to pc's, but they are more functional and design oriented.

Look at the pentax cameras and the position of the buttons throughtout the years, and compare it to a canon/nikon model... pentax design is flawless..

if less megapixeis means less noise, more range and more batery life... who really cares?...

portrait: 6w led lighting in the ceiling, fa 50mm f1.7
k20
295, Paradise : Photo

02-24-2015, 11:07 PM   #23
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The issue to me with a 24Mp FF sensor is the crop factor using DA lenses. Images will then regress to 10Mp in DX format. I would suspect a fair few APS-C shooters will think twice about moving to FF if their crop images using existing DA lenses (I'm thinking DA 10-17, DA 12-24 and DA* lenses) are only able to produce 10Mp images when previously there were 16 and 24Mp images in this format.

It makes a lot more sense to me for there to be a 36Mp FF sensor to at least rival the K-5 series sensor in crop format and make it attractive for a borader audience to get on board with FF, Pentaxians and non-Pentaxians alike.
I'd personally rather a higher end sensor that has good noise control (36Mp isn't out of the question for today's standards of sensor technology) in a more expensive package than have something like a D600/D610 equivalent in a K-mount just to save on cost.
02-24-2015, 11:13 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
what about 24mp with some great extra features.. Not everything is about MP.. I'll be perfectly ok with 24mp and really nice low light performance and great dinamic range.
Thank you sir, that would be perfect and i totaly agree.. pentax is about versatility and real world usage, but from the coments i've been reading the folowing line i'll type seems to prevail amongst our users.

"i was hoping more in the likes of 60megapixeis, 12K Video with colaboration from phantom cameras so it would record 12k video at 999FPS
it would be so awesome showing that to my canikon friends and telling them "I TOLD YOU SO!" "

---------- Post added 02-25-15 at 06:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The issue to me with a 24Mp FF sensor is the crop factor using DA lenses. Images will then regress to 10Mp in DX format. I would suspect a fair few APS-C shooters will think twice about moving to FF if their crop images using existing DA lenses (I'm thinking DA 10-17, DA 12-24 and DA* lenses) are only able to produce 10Mp images when previously there were 16 and 24Mp images in this format.

isn't the crop factor 1,56 relative to the sensor size?...

for ie:

A fullframe sensor size is 1,5 times larger than an APS-C one. right? if that's so, why would 24 become 10 and not "15,74" ?

24mp / 1,5 = 16mp
36mp / 1,5 = 24mp

wrong math/calcualtion doesn't apply?
02-24-2015, 11:36 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mrsp $3,790
02-25-2015, 12:10 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Akarak Quote

A fullframe sensor size is 1,5 times larger than an APS-C one. right? if that's so, why would 24 become 10 and not "15,74" ?

24mp / 1,5 = 16mp
36mp / 1,5 = 24mp

Length as well as width, Akarak.

1.5x1.5.
02-25-2015, 12:28 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

$1900 is very unlikely but it would be amazing!
02-25-2015, 12:35 AM   #28
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Akarak Quote

24mp / 1,5 = 16mp
36mp / 1,5 = 24mp

We have been through this a few times before, but unfortunately the dimensions are squared for sensor area.
So 24Mp FF = 24 / (1.5 ^ 2) = 24 / 2.25 = 10.6 Mp APS-C crop (just like K10D)
And 36Mp FF = 36 / 2.25 = 16Mp APS-C crop (like K-5)

24Mp FF sensor would be too much of a step backwards for DA lens compatibility
02-25-2015, 12:56 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Who is going to buy a FF camera in order to keep using just the DA lenses?? .. i can imagine that most of the poeple that use this DA lenses that are not FF compatible will sell them at some point in order to buy a "FF version" of that lens.. or at least in my case thats what i plan to do.. but at the end i imagine that most of the FF user will end up using/buying FF lenses.

So yes. Crop factor is important.. but is not something determinating..
02-25-2015, 02:06 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Whishfull thinking & not going to happen: If it's priced as a D610, but featured like a D810, then they are pretty serious about becomming a top brand again.

Anyway, 1900 USD can be both cheap or expensive, depending on its features. Wait and see...