Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2015, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #286
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Sounds like a good use of the k-7, wish I still have my k-7...
Is there such a thing as "good candidate camera" for IR conversion?
My K-01 was great for conversion to full spectrum, and would make a great one for IR too.

03-13-2015, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #287
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
@Kunzite, thanks for the info as I know nothing about IR; by your description of IR conversion, is this a permanent or reversible conversion? Just curious...
I think you're better off contacting a reputable company which offers such services (perhaps the one mentioned by Barry), as I only have a general idea on the subject.
But at £250, you're better of buying a cheap 16MP camera and convert it permanently - than doing the conversion twice (if it's even possible).
03-13-2015, 12:15 PM   #288
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
My K-01 was great for conversion to full spectrum, and would make a great one for IR too.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I think you're better off contacting a reputable company which offers such services (perhaps the one mentioned by Barry), as I only have a general idea on the subject.
But at £250, you're better of buying a cheap 16MP camera and convert it permanently - than doing the conversion twice (if it's even possible).
Thanks to Voiceofreason and Kunzite... I think I find good use of my k-01 now...
03-13-2015, 12:37 PM   #289

Photos: Albums
2,4 not 1,5

QuoteQuote:
isn't the crop factor 1,56 relative to the sensor size?...

for ie:

A fullframe sensor size is 1,5 times larger than an APS-C one. right? if that's so, why would 24 become 10 and not "15,74" ?

24mp / 1,5 = 16mp
36mp / 1,5 = 24mp

wrong math/calcualtion doesn't apply?
wrong, wrong, wrong

A FF sensor size is 2,4 times larger than APS-C one.

36x24 / 23,5x15,6* = 2,3567921400.......

*K-3 sensor size

03-13-2015, 03:51 PM   #290
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
There are enthusiasts who prefer primes, but the sort of people who want lower-specification cameras appear to be the sort of people who will want perhaps 2 or 3 zooms, and perhaps no primes at all. I'll bet most of the people who buy the lower-level Pentax APS-C cameras tend to use them with zooms, not primes
I don't pixel peep and the largest my photos get printed is A3, I have a Tamron 17-50 a Sigma 50-150 (both 2.8) and a Sigma 150-500 why should I bother with primes or lust after full frame?
03-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #291
Pentaxian

I've just been browsing the history of Nikon and Sony's FF first releases.

Both launched their FF lines with expensive 'flagships', then followed up with 'economy' FF versions. So that's probably how Pentax will play it too, I guess.

Nikon D3
Announced Aug 23, 2007
12 megapixels | 3″ screen | Full frame sensor

Nikon D700
Announced Jul 1, 2008
12 megapixels | 3″ screen | Full frame sensor

Nikon Cameras: Digital Photography Review

Sony Alpha DSLR-A900
Announced Sep 9, 2008
25 megapixels | 3″ screen | Full frame sensor

Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
Announced Aug 27, 2009
25 megapixels | 3″ screen | Full frame sensor

Sony Cameras: Digital Photography Review

The DPR review of the Sony A900 is interesting. Swap 'Sony' for 'Pentax' here and the whole discussion sounds very familiar (from the review introduction):

QuoteQuote:
The success of the Alpha 900 amongst the Minolta, Konica Minolta and Sony faithful seems assured; at a launch price of just shy of $3000 it offers a lot of 'bang for your buck' and there is undoubtedly a significant number of Minolta film SLR users who've been waiting years for a full frame digital body on which to use their existing lenses. The challenge for Sony, however, is to generate some interest from people without an existing investment in the Minolta (or subsequent Alpha) system. And on paper the Alpha 900 looks promising - and we're already impressed with the build, handling and viewfinder, so let's find out how well the latest addition to the small but growing 'full frame club' performs.
Deja vu. Sounds like us.

---------- Post added 2015-03-14 at 10:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by romeck Quote
wrong, wrong, wrong
Time for a practical illustration: crop mode in a 24MP Nikon like the D610 takes you from 6016 X 4016 pixels in FX mode and only leaves you with 3936 X 2624 pixels in DX mode = 10.3 MP.

Last edited by rawr; 03-13-2015 at 04:07 PM.
03-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #292
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Deja vu. Sounds like us.
But does it sounds like them? First, the review would be titled something like: "Pentax' first FF DSLR - without blinking LEDs!" - and talking more about how they miss those LEDs than the actual camera. And getting other people to buy a Pentax would not be a "challenge", but an impossibility - they will say it's for current users only at least 5 times. Plus, the brand new Canikon D777MkIV just announced (and previewed) yesterday is so much better - and they will postpone the review until Canikon will have such a camera, no matter how many years it would take.

On a more serious note, I'm not sure why anyone would compare Pentax with Sony...
03-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #293
Pentaxian

DPR (and other) reviews of a Pentax FF will be interesting. Probably will take 6 months after release for them to do their reviews though, once they first deal with whatever Canikony might release at about the same time Pentax does their FF.

I'm not sure why anyone would compare Pentax with Sony.
Agreed, they are different companies in very many ways. But since every Pentax DSLR since 2009 has used a Sony sensor, they share the same 'heart', as it were.

03-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #294
Lens Buying Addict

But does it sounds like them? First, the review would be titled something like: "Pentax' first FF DSLR - without blinking LEDs!" - and talking more about how they miss those LEDs than the actual camera. And getting other people to buy a Pentax would not be a "challenge", but an impossibility - they will say it's for current users only at least 5 times. Plus, the brand new Canikon D777MkIV just announced (and previewed) yesterday is so much better - and they will postpone the review until Canikon will have such a camera, no matter how many years it would take.

On a more serious note, I'm not sure why anyone would compare Pentax with Sony...
DPR (and other) reviews of a Pentax FF will be interesting. Probably will take 6 months after release for them to do their reviews though, once they first deal with whatever Canikony might release at about the same time Pentax does their FF.

Agreed, they are different companies in very many ways. But since every Pentax DSLR since 2009 has used a Sony sensor, they share the same 'heart', as it were.
We shouldn't project. Wait and see what actually happens. I have a suspicion many will be surprised by how prompt and fair DPR is with their review.
03-13-2015, 07:20 PM   #295
Site Supporter

Probably, but it takes two parties to make a fast review. If Pentax is quick to provide review copies to online reviewers as the other companies appear to be then it might be different. We complain a lot about DPR being late to the party but if Nikon hand delivers a review copy and to get a Pentax they have to go out and buy one once it hits the store shelves, well which one gets reviewed first?

I'm not saying that is what happens, because I have no idea, just suggesting that given Pentax history in the marketing department perhaps there is blame to be placed on both sides??

Edit: I can't believe I just defended DPR..............
03-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #296
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
So really, who cares? I've been saving for a 645/FF for years. Unless it really is a $1500 dog, in which case I'll go the 645Z route and wait for FF#2. Just stop drinking Starbucks, start saving $'s, and be happy.

This seems to be a common thought, yet it is based on the assumption that one spends their money on their overpriced products.

'It only costs ______. Just stop going to Starbucks and you can afford it.' 'It is only 20 dollars a month.. that is less than Starbucks' Some of us spend our money more carefully than blowing it on a liquid that will turn to urine within 30 minutes of consumption. Therefore, the claim doesn't hold for all and thus cannot be used so widely.
03-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #297
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
At that price point they may have you and some others here, but they will lose the vast majority of potential buyers. Think about it. You are in 645D territory at that price.
As it should be. I'd rather have the FF than the 645D, that's for sure, even if the 645D was new, which it won't be.
03-14-2015, 04:31 AM   #298
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
This seems to be a common thought, yet it is based on the assumption that one spends their money on their overpriced products..
Overpriced? I happen to think that the cameras price reflects its qualities and capabilities. Hence, a more expensive model is more desirable. What one are willing to pay or can afford is another matter - nothing to do with overpricing.
03-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #299
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I'd like my money back. My coffee turned to urine.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
... Some of us spend our money more carefully than blowing it on a liquid that will turn to urine within 30 minutes of consumption. .
Well, that's ^ a sunny thought to start my day.

Related, I've always loved this article on prices, check it out: Leica: It Could Be Worse
03-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #300

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Well, that's ^ a sunny thought to start my day.

Related, I've always loved this article on prices, check it out: Leica: It Could Be Worse

Maybe I'm the only one here but Pentax attracted me because of reasonable pricing. And of course kept me with innovation (SR, WR, etc) & quality/value (meaning as good if not better pic quality, solid camera bodies, etc).

I hope they continue in the tradition of offering us reasonably priced products with the same innovation & quality/value.

And, since they did it for the MF... why not for FF?

I pray that no one at Pentax ever reads these forums.