Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #316

Canon & Nikon users think Pentax quality is not up to snuff to their cameras because Pentax is 'cheaper' in price. Seems to be a lot of Canikon thinking going on here.

Pentax has put out product that is as good if not better than Canikon irregardless of the useless spec sheets that everyone worships. And at a lower, sorry, cheaper price!

If Pentax starts playing the Canikon game with their customers they will lose.

Just think how loud the howls of laughter were from the Canikon/PhaseOne/Hasselblad crowd were when they saw a $8500 MF camera from Pentax. Who's laughing now? And who's gaining market share?

Again, if Pentax starts playing the Canikon/PhaseOne/Hasselblad game then it will lose big time. I for one think they're smarter. Evidence? 645z.

The only thing I find severely disappointing, here in the States anyways, is the service structure or lack thereof. It would be so easy to fix (yes, a pun) but like everything else here, someone is over thinking the problem or not thinking of it at all.

I've said my peace. If the FF is reasonable, Pentax has kept me as a customer. If not, then I'll start looking at Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Olympus, or Fuji. But that will be a while, my K5 IIs will last me at least as long as my K-x did.

03-18-2015, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #317
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I don't think I ever visited a forum before where people wishes that the new gadget will be really expensive.
Personally I hope it's an improved K3 with a reasonable price tag, otherwise I will have to leave it alone. I can afford it, but slightly better photos are just not worth that much to me.
We don't want it to be really expensive.

We want it to be a high-specification camera that can Ricoh can justify selling at a comparable price to other high-specification cameras. (And therefore probably will sell it near that price).

What many of us most certainly do not want is a lower-specification camera designed primarily for people who are not willing to pay such prices.
03-19-2015, 01:19 AM   #318
Pentaxian

I don’t think Pentax can pull that off.

Even with a new version of AF it will not match Canons tracking abilities for sport photography, and the flash system is nowhere near Nikon even if they manage to improve the current system somewhat.

There is no way Pentax first try with FF can match Canikons flagships in every aspect. They will need several iterations of improvements before they can catch up, and until they do they can’t ask the same amount of money for it. And even if they somehow matches Canikons flagship in every aspect they can’t charge as much, not until the reputation catches up and everyone knows that it really is a contender for the throne.
03-19-2015, 01:50 AM   #319
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can't agree more. If it looks like a high end Canon spec, it will be compared to that. If it's the same, but lower specced, then it will be compared to something like a D600. That's exactly why I would have guessed that Pentax would market something non-comformative. Something different Because if it looks something vaguely like anything that already exists, then it will be compared to that relentlessly. If it's something that can't be compared to anything, then the underperforming AF-system and Flash-system will not jump out like that at all.

03-19-2015, 02:58 AM   #320
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I donít think Pentax can pull that off.

Even with a new version of AF it will not match Canons tracking abilities for sport photography, and the flash system is nowhere near Nikon even if they manage to improve the current system somewhat.

There is no way Pentax first try with FF can match Canikons flagships in every aspect. They will need several iterations of improvements before they can catch up, and until they do they canít ask the same amount of money for it. And even if they somehow matches Canikons flagship in every aspect they canít charge as much, not until the reputation catches up and everyone knows that it really is a contender for the throne.
I think they can. But "high-specification camera" and "really good" are all relative; and we aren't talking about an EOS 1-series/D4 level camera (I'll let Barry confirm that ). In my previous post I was talking about a 2500Ä camera, not a 6000Ä one.
A mid-level camera, let's say matching the D810 in about every way but probably with a less sophisticated (yet still made-for-FF) AF should be doable. And it would take such a camera to match and surpass the K-3

---------- Post added 19-03-15 at 12:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
Evidence? 645z.
I already explained why the 645z is not "evidence" for Pentax being cheap.

QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
I've said my peace. If the FF is reasonable, Pentax has kept me as a customer. If not, then I'll start looking at Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Olympus, or Fuji. But that will be a while, my K5 IIs will last me at least as long as my K-x did.
Hold your horses... 4 out of 5 said brands so not have and will not have a "FF". With that, I cannot consider you a potential FF buyer.
03-19-2015, 03:26 AM   #321
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We have no idea what Ricoh has developed. None.

This is just a tiresome shouting match between people who have NEVER had a good thing to say about a Pentax, if they even have one, and others who are optimists and have and use their cameras extensively.

None of the comments has any bearing on a camera about which we yet know nothing.

I'm out.
03-19-2015, 03:52 AM   #322
Pentaxian

Good choice. I should take a break as well.
But IMO we already have some clues about the pricing/level, about two of them
03-19-2015, 06:27 AM   #323
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I think they can. But "high-specification camera" and "really good" are all relative; and we aren't talking about an EOS 1-series/D4 level camera (I'll let Barry confirm that ). In my previous post I was talking about a 2500Ä camera, not a 6000Ä one.
A mid-level camera, let's say matching the D810 in about every way but probably with a less sophisticated (yet still made-for-FF) AF should be doable. And it would take such a camera to match and surpass the K-3
Correct! I'm not talking about 1Dx or D4s, etc. (In the past I've made the mistake of saying "top-end", which has been interpreted as one of those. Now I tend to say "high-specification").

I'm talking about something in the class of the D810 or 5DS or thereabouts. Certainly not something like the D610 or whatever the Canon equivalent is, which I would find largely pointless. My main camera is a K-3 - that is what the Pentax FF camera is competing with as far as I am concerned.

(Just for the record: if Ricoh did launch the equivalent of the 1Dx or D4s, at a plausible rather than "affordable" price, I would probably buy it if I could save up enough! It wouldn't do everything I'm expecting the FF camera to do, but it would do some things much better).