Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
How many will "upgrade" if they get the same capabilities, but wider FOV on the same lenses (If they are even usable) with the same MP. The guys whining about the OVF maybe?
I could really see the value for shooting functions, weddings, events etc.....the 31, 43 and 77 would work better for me on. FF..... my Sigma 70-200 as well......... however this isn't something I do that much........I preffer APSC for it's reach......

The kicker for me is that the relatively easy decision to get a Pentax FF (and one of the new 150-450's) will be moderated by the high prices...... which causes me to reflect more on what I really need/want/desire or such like.

I also feel if I get the FF it will be like leaving my wife for a different woman........ you know....different/fresher for a while.....but in the end not much has changed.....then you realise it's mostly just about me, not them...........then my DA15 & 21 will be like my kids from my 1st wife...... in that they won't be part of my life like they once were.....tough choices ahead. Maybe just stay married and not buy anything........maybe take the kids on a holiday instead.........

Last edited by noelpolar; 02-27-2015 at 04:14 PM.
02-27-2015, 11:50 PM   #77
Veteran Member

The FF market is the cream for the other manufactures, The development costs aren't going to be hugely different for each FF model you make, just slightly higher (nowadays) parts costs and spreading the R&D between sales margin, numbers sold and future models. With Ricoh having no higher models to protect, and competition who are under the pump financially, there is no reason they cant release a single model with 810 features at $2k prices and smash the market.
Ricoh is a big fish in a powerful position, and they appear to know the Art of War!
Lulling your opponents into a false sense of security then launching an attack when your opposition is weak is a tried and tested method for success.
02-28-2015, 12:28 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
there is no reason they cant release a single model with 810 features at $2k prices and smash the market.
now THAT.. will shake the entire FF market.. we'll see..
02-28-2015, 04:39 AM   #79
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caribe Quote
Pentax managed to create excellent image quality with a 16mp sensor, in a time when 18 and 20mp were around with lower IQ. If a FF has 24mp with better IQ than the K3, and the advantages of FF imaging, I wouldn't mind for a second buying a $2000.00 Pentax FF. .
The sensor in the K-3 will be hard to beat. The same sensor technology should be available now to create a 24x36 sensor with similar specs and pixel density to match it and give FF shooters something to go for above the current APS-C offerings.

Cheap price isn't everything in creating a high end camera. It is more important to build a tool that will last the test of time in all aspects, including quality and quantity of pixels.

02-28-2015, 04:48 AM   #80
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The sensor in the K-3 will be hard to beat. The same sensor technology should be available now to create a 24x36 sensor with similar specs and pixel density to match it and give FF shooters something to go for above the current APS-C offerings.
Pentax don't make their own sensors, Ash. They've been buying existing units off Sony for a while now - the K-3 one is probably the same as in the A6000.

This makes the FF sensor likely to be the one from either the A7 or the A7R.
02-28-2015, 06:33 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Pentax don't make their own sensors, Ash. They've been buying existing units off Sony for a while now - the K-3 one is probably the same as in the A6000.

This makes the FF sensor likely to be the one from either the A7 or the A7R.
It's been long enough since those sensors were produced there could be a new version in the works. Given the success of the 645z and Pentax's ability to sell those sensors, you can't assume Pentax will always get everyone else's one year old sensors. At some point they may step up and have one produced just for themselves, or get a new sensor before anyone else does. Lets not be shutting down the many other options that exist.

Pentax sells a lot of sensors for Sony, at some point they're going to get some kind of reward for that. Maybe this is the one where they call in the favours.

Last edited by normhead; 02-28-2015 at 06:47 AM.
02-28-2015, 06:34 AM   #82
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
normhead; They think they have something hot, you can tell... I hope they surprise me. With all that smiling and smirking, I really think they've got something up their sleeve.
For what I saw in the video, I totally agree with normhead, Pentax executives feel they will shake the FF market. Even if it is only to say what Ricoh is capable of. This ff will be a niche for pentax users in it's majority, but I am guessing very PROUD pentax ff owners! And for what I'm reading so far, K3, k5's, k30, k50 (and so on) owners are particularly in love (me included) with it, imagine what a tank-like, wr, compact, with great ergonomics, pentax IQ, fully feautured, faster autofocus, affordable price of $2000.00 give or take, pentax named FF could do to the market. Pentax dslrs need good reviews around the web, online buyers and dedicated reviewers. Look what happend to the immediate failure of the ks1. On the other hand the k3 has assured all dslr users of any brand what ricoh can do. At least to those who educate themselves on these matters. This should be one of the major objectives of ricoh, to have a bunch of solid very proud pentax owners. Good for free marketing! Well, it can also be called wishful thinking...

Last edited by Caribe; 02-28-2015 at 07:42 AM. Reason: k5
02-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #83
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Given the success of the 645z and Pentax's ability to sell those sensors, you can't assume Pentax will always get everyone else's one year old sensors.
Even that sensor was already being used by Hasselblad and Phase One, Norm. :-)

Would be interesting to some if Sony decided to offer Pentax the A7S sensor though - time has gone by with their exclusive use of that one.
02-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #84

I am considering investing into a full frame system and I was just about to invest into a Nikon D750 and some F2.8 and F4 zoom lenses. However , after I've read this post, I have decided to postpone this investment until Ricoh releases the FF. If they release the FF in the price range of the D750 but with a 36mp sensor and release lenses which will be priced similar to Canonikon I will definitely investo into Pentax. However, if they price the FF camera or the lenses higher than Nikon ... I will not commit to Pentax as the cost would be too high for me.
02-28-2015, 01:34 PM   #85
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by braveheartm Quote
I am considering investing into a full frame system and I was just about to invest into a Nikon D750 and some F2.8 and F4 zoom lenses. However , after I've read this post, I have decided to postpone this investment until Ricoh releases the FF. If they release the FF in the price range of the D750 but with a 36mp sensor and release lenses which will be priced similar to Canonikon I will definitely investo into Pentax. However, if they price the FF camera or the lenses higher than Nikon ... I will not commit to Pentax as the cost would be too high for me.
Hi breaveheartm

Are you a pentax user?
02-28-2015, 03:02 PM   #86

No, I'm actually a Sony A mount user ... but I want to dump Sony so I am looking at the other systems. Pentax FF seems what I'm aiming for if priced as D750
02-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #87

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I hope they surprise me. With all that smiling and smirking, I really think they've got something up their sleeve.
Discounting the rather rough 3D print of the prototype, but considering the collector / prestige editions (and even the red laquer 645D), Pentax seems to know how to do a 'nice' camera. Granted the fancy-body finishes are often no different technically, they do seem to be able to offer premium bodies to current customers. Gift items, I always thought.

Now the 645's were a big shake-up in the MF realm... so they know how to do that as well, even if they didn't go for max MP.

And if they do go for the a7S sensor, or variation of it - the one that does 4K... hmmm...

Makes me wonder if they will shoot a little higher - not a FF in a K-3 body.

I don't really want to peg my hopes too high, but that 3D mockup wasn't a low frame-rate stills only retro camera. So it has to have something - or a lot of little somethings - going for it.
02-28-2015, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I could really see the value for shooting functions, weddings, events etc.....the 31, 43 and 77 would work better for me on. FF..... my Sigma 70-200 as well......... however this isn't something I do that much........I preffer APSC for it's reach......

The kicker for me is that the relatively easy decision to get a Pentax FF (and one of the new 150-450's) will be moderated by the high prices...... which causes me to reflect more on what I really need/want/desire or such like.

I also feel if I get the FF it will be like leaving my wife for a different woman........ you know....different/fresher for a while.....but in the end not much has changed.....then you realise it's mostly just about me, not them...........then my DA15 & 21 will be like my kids from my 1st wife...... in that they won't be part of my life like they once were.....tough choices ahead. Maybe just stay married and not buy anything........maybe take the kids on a holiday instead.........
You do know that the great profet Takuma Kajiwara stated that Pentaxians are allowed to have four camera bodies....?

---------- Post added 03-01-15 at 07:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Well.. somebody did a poll here about the budget.. and most of the people said as today the results are:

43.07% said that will spend $1000 to $2000 ( just the body )
22.28% said $2000 to $3000 ( body and maybe a lens )
7.92% $3000 to $4000 ( body and lens )
3.47% $4000 + ( system )

I think Ricoh will prefer to continue selling new APS-C bodies and lenses to those 43%. Only way they can make a profit on them.
03-01-2015, 03:29 AM   #89
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
You do know that the great profet Takuma Kajiwara stated that Pentaxians are allowed to have four camera bodies.....

That's pretty funny, Douglas! :-)
03-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #90
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by braveheartm Quote
No, I'm actually a Sony A mount user ... but I want to dump Sony so I am looking at the other systems. Pentax FF seems what I'm aiming for if priced as D750
Have you ever had the opportunity to "play" with a pentax K50, K5, or a K-3. It would be interesting to see if other than the expected features and a possible killer price is influencing your interest in the pentax FF. I have a K30, and a K3. Before that i had a canon rebel, panasonic and some minolta Dimage and fuji's, none of them even matched the K30 in terms of quality ergonomics (i would say that the most similar was the Dimage A1 i had), not even in image quality or weather sealing. But, were talking digital FF here, and the only ff I've used were Minolta SLR's. I think the K3 is a kind of "prototype" for the pentax FF. Ricoh now knows what pentax users like, this is also seen in the new KS-2, which in my opinion will achieve good sales if the image quality is as expected. Just curious to know the opinion of non pentax users like you. Some of the threads here only mention canikon users. I apologize for so many questions. I would also add that this forum helped me a lot in my decisions to buy pentax after trying the panasonic GH2. But we are all in the same "boat" about the new camera, very few know what will it be, and they are boundnot to tell until the specs come out.

Last edited by Caribe; 03-01-2015 at 10:03 AM.