Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2015, 06:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

Around. $1900.00 for the FF n the U.S.? What. do you think?

As a result of a previous thread, another member gave an estimation of around $1900.00, for the U.S., give or take a couple of hundreds for some adjustments. This is based on reliable information (at least I have no reason to be doubtful) from an European website. What do you think? Is this price a good deal? Specs are not out yet, but was this what you expected? I think it's a bit low, makes me feel that some features could be kept out for some reason. Or, (as suggested by others), the FF will be so good you will just go for it and some new lenses. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/289252-pentaxeros-a...pentax-ff.html And of course, the US prices here can change as a result of the market!!!

Last edited by Caribe; 02-24-2015 at 06:40 PM. Reason: to add previous thread.
02-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We don't know wanting about the camera yet. frankly, i don't see the point of getting really excited yet, unless all you care about is having a full frame sensor and a native k mount and are willing to pay 2k for it alone (anything else is extra )
02-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anywhere in the 2000-2500 range would be reasonable IMO. Guess we'll have to wait and see what specs it has and where it'll be position in the market.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caribe Quote
This is based on reliable information (at least I have no reason to be doubtful) from an European website.
I don't see how any unofficial published information could be considered 'reliable' at this point. We are maybe 9 months from release, at least. And Ricoh certainly has not told anyone what the price will be. I would be focusing on the $2,500 plus region for price and not getting hopes up anyone thinking this is going to be cheap.

02-24-2015, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It should be pointed out that Pentax has almost always sold its bodies cheaper than expected. Take what a CaNikon sells and deduct about 10 to 20 percent and you'll probably be about on target.

Pentax makes its money on the lenses it sells moreso than the cameras, or at least that has always been my impression.
02-24-2015, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

A lower price benefits Ricoh more than you, probably. Unless you already have a complete stable of FF glass, you'll end up paying for premium-priced lenses. My guess is most people are in my boat - they'll need at least one more lens - probably two. If I want to replace my DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 with their FF counterparts, each will now cost me about three times (!) what I originally paid for the APS-C versions.

So Ricoh just needs to get you in the door with a lower priced body, as usual. A couple months after you get it, it will come to you that you really do need those two extra lenses after all! We lie to ourselves as we make the initial purchase of the flashy new body, but we pay later.
02-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sure, I've got $2K lying around here somewhere. Oh, wait--I spent it on lenses. Never mind.

02-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

$2000 is a really attractive price... i'll get it for sure.
02-24-2015, 08:08 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

There won't be a bargain. They've already said it'll be priced similarly to the opposition.
02-24-2015, 08:13 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

$1,900 for street price perhaps. RRP will no doubt be considerably more than this.
02-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Seems quite low if its to compete with Canikon & have more features...was hoping for a 50MP sensor/24 crop..all in one camera,but probably would kill sales of K3...coming this late to the game ,it must have something really special to get more to switch
02-24-2015, 09:09 PM   #12

1900 would place it in 6D/D610 range.. but I'm guessing it will launch higher than that. I would say low-mid 2000s for sure.
02-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

North of $2k USD, but probably under $2.5k.
I would go as high as $3K, but that is getting close to what used 645D cameras are selling for.
If the camera has the dynamic range of the K5, as well as the ISO and low noise, as well as 4K video and other features, then closer to $3K is VERY reasonable.
02-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caribe Quote
As a result of a previous thread, another member gave an estimation of around $1900.00, for the U.S., give or take a couple of hundreds for some adjustments. This is based on reliable information (at least I have no reason to be doubtful) from an European website. What do you think? Is this price a good deal? Specs are not out yet, but was this what you expected? I think it's a bit low, makes me feel that some features could be kept out for some reason. Or, (as suggested by others), the FF will be so good you will just go for it and some new lenses. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/289252-pentaxeros-a...pentax-ff.html And of course, the US prices here can change as a result of the market!!!
Want to point out that Canon 6D and Sony A7 will surely drop to below $1000 for sale price at the time when pentax FF releases. If it is still 24mp and targets entry level FF , a $1900 price tag will not be attractive for many of us and its landing might not be successful. If it is a 50mp, a $2500 will be very attractive indeed. If it is 36mp, $1900 price is okay (sony A7R market price is $1450 now) .

Of course, many other features can kick in. Eg a 1.0x 100% OVF can be a strong selling point even if it is 24mp.

Last edited by starjedi; 02-24-2015 at 09:31 PM.
02-24-2015, 09:43 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Seems quite low if its to compete with Canikon & have more features...was hoping for a 50MP sensor/24 crop..all in one camera,but probably would kill sales of K3...coming this late to the game ,it must have something really special to get more to switch
It does seems quite low.. but i dont think that Pentax will compete with Canikon head to head just because they cant.. and is foolish.. what will happen if Pentax releaseas a FF similar perhaps a little better in aspects and price to for example D810 ?? Nikon will simple release another body better than the one Pentax just released, perhaps Canon too, and they will do it simply because they can do it, and I really really REALLY doubt that Pentax will release another body just to compete with the one that Canikons released because its too much money for a really little market share.

There are NO PRO that are using D810's or MK3s that will switch to Pentax just because Pentax have some extra features that "they dont", and i say they "dont" because in a few months they will have them too. No body is going to sell all their PRO equipment just because Pentax have a new FF and they want to "try it". that is the truth.

What is a smart move? Build their own FF user base, with people that are using APS-C and will like to jump to FF but not to the high end models.. something for the average costumers that cant take $3000+ out of their pucket just because they want a FF... I bet that most pentaxians that switch to other brands didnt do it to buy a D810 or a 5Dmk3... most of them did it to buy Sony A7's and D610's .. perhaps some D750s.. THAT is the target that Pentax will have to retain.. and in a few years, this target will want to upgrade their body do a better one.. and that is when Ricoh can release a better body similiar to Canikons flag ships...

So people might say.. yeah but the lenses that they release are not "average" price, and that is truth, because Ricoh is not thinking in todays market, they are thinking in releaseing a lens that will last several years and will be use for all the Pentax FF users that will like to use a pro lens... What is everybodys advice when somebody sais about if buying a lens or a body??? most people will say LENS, think about the glass and then the body, so this is what Ricoh is doing, releasing a GOOD GLASS so all the people that will use the FF body can buy in the future ( or if they have the money in the present ), a glass that will deliver great images with this new glass.

With this price ( around the $2000s ), Ricoh can get the attention of APS-C Canikons that want something better than the D610s or the 6D, people that dont really mind selling all their investment in equipment ( APS-C glass, body, etc ).

But we will see.. as i said in other topics.. i expect something between $2000 and $2300.. Pentaxeros people sems to really trust the Pentaxeros store price, and the guy that runs the store claims to have the info of price and date. and also lets not forget that in Spain Pentax is not that bad. If they said that the price is going to be around the 2000 euros is because the price is going to be close than that, and if is like that, the Pentax FF will cost even less than that because of the sales tax ( 21% in spain ).