Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2015, 08:45 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Did you buy the jug let when you first started to wait for the pentax full frame?

---------- Post added 03-07-15 at 08:16 PM ----------

All my lenses except the DA 15 are full frame. Unlike Norm I need nothing to overcome my lack of interest in buying a FF. There are also very few DA lenses I want to buy when you folks start disposing of them super cheap.
Ha! No, I do some work in archaeology and so manage a small teaching collection of artifacts for my institution. But my work taking pictures of sites, artifacts, etc. is currently my mythological narrative for "needing" full frame… and maybe someday medium format…

03-10-2015, 01:40 AM   #32
Pentaxian

In comparison with others, I feel I'm starting from scratch! But perhaps that will turn out to be an advantage.

For several years I could claim to be "ready for APS-C" because I had 3 workhorse zoom lenses that covered the range: DA 12-24mm f/4; DA 17-70mm f/4; DA* 60-250mm f/4. I have other lenses too, (see my "About me" panel), but I can do nearly anything I wanted to at least adequately with just those three.

Now I want the same with the FF camera: 3 or 4 workhorse zooms covering the range. These will have to be new, so I've pre-ordered the two new telephoto zooms. I will need something in the middle, and desperately need something wide.

I use zooms far more than primes. I use primes just for special purposes, and already have what I need there: Macro (D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR) and Tilt/Shift (Samyang f/3.5 24mm). Although I have wondered whether a high quality wide-angle prime would be better than a wide-zoom?
03-10-2015, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
my mythological narrative for "needing" full frame…
You know, some people stand by APS-C, and others are taking means to justify the 24x36 sensor. Me, well, I've always been perfectly suited and prepared for FOOL frame, regardless of what camera I use.
03-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
So this week I made the decision that unless the new Pentax FF is an obvious dog, or unless it does something that I find unacceptable, assuming it's a solid evolution of the K3 feature set with the FF sensor and some advances, I am getting it.

So I'm looking at my lenses to see what I've got to start out with, and found myself rather surprised:

Primes:
FA 35mm f/2
FA 50mm f/1.4
FA 31mm Ltd

Zooms
FA 28-90mm f.3.5-5.6
FA 28-105mm f/4-5.6
FA 80-320mm f/4.5-5.6

A number of manual focus primes and zooms, including my old Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm

Just need the camera now and…oh yeah… a pile of money…

Okay so when this Pentax 35mm turns up, what will be the lens options? and what will be the resolution? and will it have an AA filter.

It'll probably be AA filterless. The resolution will be 36mp or maybe 24mp - but 24mp would be Pentax going sideways in comparison to the K-3.

Lets say that the Pentax 35mm will be 24mp .........How many legacy or existing lenses can properly resolve 24mp?

Or.....

Lets say that the Pentax 35mm will be 36mp .........How many legacy or existing lenses can properly resolve 36mp?

Or......

Lets say that the Pentax 35mm will be 24mp, and the mark ii in 2017 will be 36mp - that could happen too.

I haven't begun to research this point regarding Pentax lenses, perhaps someone on the forum knows which lenses can do a decent job of resolving these high mega pixels ?

The reason I say this is because Canon went up to 22 mp and most of the L lenses cannot resolve this. Apparently only Canon lenses designed after 2010 can do the job, of which there is only 3 (perhaps thats increased). Which begs the question over the upcoming 50mp Canon 5Ds/r, there's only a few lenses that may or may not resolve 50mp.

Last year I tested out a couple of my lenses on my K-5. An FA 50mm 1.4 and compared it to my DA* 16-50mm 2.8, and at 50mms, the DA* was sharper (both at their sharpest apertures). So this means to me that modern lenses are the go. The old stuff - though very cool and nice - are antiques in the digital era. There's nothing wrong with using them, and I most certainly will - sharpness isn't everything.

Ed on Photouniverse switched to a Nikon D810 and is using his old 1980's/1990's lenses, and now complains that they're not up to the task on a 36mp sensor.

SO !

Pentax will be looking at a future in 35mm DSLR, and if 36mp is the starting point, then later there'll be a 50mp or 60mp or 70mp sensor, then this new generation of D-FA lenses will have to meet the mega pixels. Then later again there'll have to be mark ii versions of the lenses as mega pixels increase and increase.

So it looks like lenses aren't for a lifetime, and there will be a life cycle because of mega pixels.

Pentax only a year or two ago revamped the apsc limiteds with HD coatings. I was expecting the FA limiteds to receive the same HD coatings not long after that. But perhaps they'll have to make mark ii versions to cope with the mega pixels - and this might be the reason they haven't done the HD coatings yet.

So there are a few things on the horizon, a Pentax 35mm, and a new generation of lenses to suit full frame, and potentially next generation FA Limited's.

So I'd just wait and see ! A high mega pixel DSLR is like having a Corvette with 700 horse power, and the only available roads have speed limits of 35mph or 55mph speed limits. You'll need the a lens road map to get to the autobahn ! (sorry, its a poor analogy)

03-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I remember my university optics well enough, "properly resolve" would mean something like "the Airey disc created by the lens is equal to or less in diameter than the pitch of the sensels". That, of course, ignores the interpolation algorithms that go with a Bayer pattern sensor arrangement. Good luck with establishing that for each heritage K-mount lens.

However, any lens that meets that criterion on the K-3's 24 MP (1.5 crop factor) sensor will meet or exceed it on a 35FF sensor that has less than 24 x 1.5^2 = 54 MP. Of course, that's just looking at pure sensel pitch. If the overall subject magnification is the same, 24 MP on either system will look much the same, because the bigger sensor will be incapable of matching the resolution of a lens that matches the smaller one, and 24 MP is 24 MP regardless of the sensor size.
03-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have the following FF lenses (all bought brand new):

F 17-28 Fish-eye
K 18/3.5
A 24/2.8
FA 31/1.8 Limited
A 35/2.8
FA 43/1.9 Limited
FA 77/1.8 Limited
FA* 200/4 Macro
FA* 600/4

I'm ready!
03-14-2015, 02:37 AM   #37
edo
Forum Member

Fool frame family, A and FA*, the good life!
I heard the same complain about new lenses for the digital era long time ago when 8Mp were the rage... Only thing I see would be better color fringing resistance and APO lenses for telephoto chromatic aberration correction. But I will take the 85FA* anyway, it's magic!
Those A lenses are perfectly sharp stopped down, and be it a 50MP or a 100MP, you will increasingly have better control over your enlargement needs and sharpening algorythms.
I wish the pentax FF body will be 36MP, please!

Last edited by edo; 03-14-2015 at 03:25 AM.
03-14-2015, 06:17 AM   #38
Pentaxian

I have a bank account and an itch on my wallet; I'm ready!

03-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I am due for a new body (still using an original K-5 from 2011ish). I also have the lenses but spending big money on a new body justifies getting new lenses also. And I am %^$@#$%. I'm still not sure I will go FF since I like the portability of APSC and I love my DA15.

my FF lineup
K24f2.8
K35f3.5 and my DA40
A50f1.7
DFA100WR
with a pile of other lenses and a 35/50/105/200 takumar set to play with

I would need the new kit zoom at a minimum. I would really like a 20/24mm WR prime and a DA*300mm for the reach. And in the ideal world I would get 1 of everything else...

The dream kit
Wide prime WR
DFA43 WR (updated)
DFA77 WR (updated)
DFA100WR macro (I have)
DA*300
24-75f2.8 WR zoom or something in that range

I might as well just buy the next APSC because I can't afford that list.
03-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I might as well just buy the next APSC because I can't afford that list.
But if Pentax play their cards right and put a 36Mp sensor or more in a new compact FF body, then one might as well go for that body instead of an APS-C version and continue to the use the small APS-C lenses for portability. Hopefully the body will not be to big.

Then add FF-lenses as budget permits.
03-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #41

I've managed to complete my FF line-up with a recent purchase of Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM II Macro. Here's my FF line-up:

DA 35mm f2.4 (FF compatible, tested and proved)
FA 50mm f1.4
Samyang 85mm f1.4
Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro
FA 135mm f2.8
Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (an older version, but still good)
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM II Macro

I'm still in the process of selling my collection of manual lenses on ebay, but I'm not far off from collecting enough for the upcoming FF. Once I get it, I do not plan to buy a new camera for a long time. So far, I've stuck with my cameras for quite some time before buying a new one.
03-14-2015, 11:00 AM   #42
Lens Buying Addict

On second thought I'm not ready now and I probably won't be ready for a long time. I have plenty of lenses that will work perfectly well on a FF for what I want (absolute pixel-level resolution isn't what I want).

I'm just not ready to start an entirely new course of gear acquisition.
03-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm just not ready to start an entirely new course of gear acquisition.
Why not? I thought that was the whole point ;-)
03-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #44
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by jonby Quote
Why not? I thought that was the whole point ;-)
Did it. Got over it (I hope).
03-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Did it. Got over it (I hope).
Not done with it until you have the t-shirt.