Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2015, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
The beta unit sent to me by Ricoh was quite huge, and will be using the Betamax cartridge to save files. This, they hope will take the retro impact several notches higher. They're just having problems with Sony, as Sony plans to revive the Betamax format. They're not much into VHS format, I can tell.
Terrible if you find that your wedding shoot's been taped over by last night's Keeping Up With the Kardashians.

04-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The Beta unit sent to me by Ricoh has a plastic outer shell that looks exactly like the printed plastic prototypes. In fact it *IS* a plastic shell. The shell opens like a clam, and inside is the REAL camera. (It's actually just a protective case. Inside the real camera looks exactly like a K-01, but with a modular removable ovf.)

Last edited by jbondo; 04-10-2015 at 10:54 AM.
04-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Beta unit sent to me was returned unopened as I no longer have any Pentax lenses to put on it.
04-10-2015, 12:04 PM   #49

I wonder if the one sent to the OP has a faulty wi-fi module tuned to a frequency known to kill off brain cells?

04-10-2015, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know what planet you people are on, but the beta units (yes two!) I received yesterday are not like what was described earlier on this thread. There are two levels, labeled maxy and midi (36 mpx and 24 mpx) and both are similar in shape and size to an iPad only with a K-mount at center. I know, I know...the prototype was very conventional looking, but that was just a diversion to feed the rumor mills. The cool is that the camera is not only super thin, but it is flexible! The included soft case resembles a small shipping tube. More at a later date once I get the solar batteries fully charged.*

Steve

* Could take awhile...gray day here in the Portland area...
04-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Please share just few shots of your beta unit with us poor guys here on the forum which haven't received even one single beta unit (not even the blob) for testing

What? Have you missed the thread in the FF forum where Ricoh gives a beta version FF to everyone on the Forum? Using my wife's and two son's names I got four!
04-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The cool is that the camera is not only super thin, but it is flexible! The included soft case resembles a small shipping tube.
So you just roll it up when done? Cool. Do you have to take the lens off first?

04-10-2015, 04:26 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
No need have asking silly questions in a serious thread. Of course the lenses fold up too, but only after you able firmware 1.01 to DA lenses, 1.02 to AF lenses and use the USB port on your older manual focus lenses.
04-10-2015, 05:01 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
No need have asking silly questions in a serious thread. Of course the lenses fold up too
Sorry should have known. Obvious after you mention the firmware update. Do you known if USB 1.0 is supported? I'm not sure my Takumars will work with the newer USB specifications.
04-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
There is no lens. You just hold it up towards the subject. Kinda like the ipad.
04-10-2015, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'll vote for you as president of this organization if I can be vice-president. Our first chore should be to find intermediate care givers willing to look after these lenses until we find them forever homes.
Am willing to be a Forever Home to orphaned DA Limited and DA* lenses. Please send them to me.
04-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Silly Ricoh! How will they decide if they keep on sending different models of Beta unit? Ahhh... this must be the reason why FF took so long. They made several iterations. Maybe it'll take a couple more years for them to finalize which Beta will make the Alpha stage...

04-10-2015, 06:39 PM   #58
Forum Member

both of my Betas were eaten by my Jack Dempsey
04-10-2015, 09:38 PM   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cheesehead Quote
There is no lens.
It has a mount, but you can also use it without a formal lens. It is hard describe, but by warping the flexible body it will act as a concave focus device of sorts. The entire front is a matrix of microlenses and the degree of warp approximates various focal lengths.

The whole process of evaluating the betas is much more involved than I ever would have dreamed.

Steve
04-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bryce K Quote
both of my Betas were eaten by my Jack Dempsey
Bettas! Bettas!

Steve