Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2015, 06:33 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can a mod just delete this thread so we can pretend it never existed?

03-03-2015, 08:36 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pento57mm Quote
... My understanding from the beta unit's they have sent me to test is in quite a quandary. The DA's will be fully functional but will crop the FF image captured. The aperture with all M, A, F and Fa series will be crippled . what is the end result. Although all K-mounts that are FF will perfectly capture with the Beta's. my hopes are Ricoh/ pentax will not completely mess Up.
You should pulse twice on the middle button on the left of the body and you'll find a couple of nice MENU items that will amaze you !!!
03-03-2015, 08:41 AM   #18

Use them on my Canon FF with an adapter and the aperture levers chopped off of course.
03-03-2015, 08:43 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First of all, if you bought your APS-c lenses to work on APS-c cameras, then they still work for what you bought them for. If you bought your M, A, F, FA lenses to work on film cameras, they still work as intended. The "un-crippled" mounts they were made for are still uncrippled. And you can still use them.

QuoteQuote:
My understanding from the beta unit's they have sent me to test is in quite a quandary. The DA's will be fully functional but will crop the FF image captured. The aperture with all M, A, F and Fa series will be crippled . what is the end result. Although all K-mounts that are FF will perfectly capture with the Beta's. my hopes are Ricoh/ pentax will not completely mess Up.
I think I get it.... you're talking about the "crippled mount" thing. That thing that a few people care about, and most of us don't notice. IN fact, I've forgotten what "crippled mount" means again, perhaps you can explain it. The fact is, it's like a tail. Humans are crippled in that they no longer have a tail. Those of us who sit on toilets find that quite convenient. Those of us who still swing from branch to branch in trees find it annoying and wonder when evolution will un-cripple the human DNA and bring back the tail.

Is that what we're talking about here? So in answer to your question.. the K-mount has been considered by some to be crippled for years. That Pentax might "un-crippple" the "crippled" mount for the Full Frame after not doing so for APS-c, is unlikely. But I guess as someone who frets about the "crippled mount" this is your last (or at least latest) desperate kick at the can. Am I reading this right?

The next question is did you violate your non-disclosure agreement by posting this, do you actually have a beta version of the FF and therefore even have a copy of the FF, or are you pretending to have a beta version so you can kick this dead horse one more time. Having failed to mobilize the troops with honest campaigns, maybe a little trickery?

You've put us in a position here where we not only have to decipher your request, but do some serious evaluation of what the reality behind this post is.

I'll be kind and assume you have a Beta FF, aren't allowed to say anything but just couldn't help yourself taking one last shot at the "crippled mount " thing. A man so consumed by his passion non-disclosure agreements mean nothing to him. (polite applause for the rebel standing up to the man.)

I'm not sure others will be so benevolent.

But the post over all is so ambiguous, I wouldn't be surprised if there are lot's more interpretations.

Most of us are still thinking "how the hell did this guy get a beta of the FF? How can I do that.?" If there was something else in the post after the words "Beta FF", everyone was too shocked to comprehend.

Last edited by normhead; 03-03-2015 at 09:38 AM.
03-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think we'd better add "Satire" to the title of this thread--quick!
03-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm am starting "DA Rescue", an organization for orphaned DA lenses. We will feed them and make sure that they get plenty of light. If you have any DA lenses*, please PM me and I will give you an address to ship your DA lenses to.

* especially the DA35mm F2.8 Limited, DA300, DA60-250, and DA560. They need special rescue.
03-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'm am starting "DA Rescue", an organization for orphaned DA lenses. We will feed them and make sure that they get plenty of light. If you have any DA lenses*, please PM me and I will give you an address to ship your DA lenses to.

* especially the DA35mm F2.8 Limited, DA300, DA60-250, and DA560. They need special rescue.
I'll vote for you as president of this organization if I can be vice-president. Our first chore should be to find intermediate care givers willing to look after these lenses until we find them forever homes.

03-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are a couple of other posts from threads started by this poster:

QuoteQuote:
Rumor has it. On very good authority. Pentax/Hoya will discontinue their full body DSLR production at the end of this month.
Insiders quote Pentax can not keep up with Nikon's product line and Pentax/Hoya will not make any further investments and development towards full frame DSLR's.

After 35 years of dedication with Pentax equipment. I am devastated.
QuoteQuote:
At an estate sale about an hour ago I ran into a Pentax F 250-600mm. I see the spot for the review in the lens review area here but can not find a cost for this lens anywhere. The one that's for sale from the estate is $175.00 and has a really nice carrying case. The lens looks like it has never been used.
He is certainly good at dropping in with a bombshell every few months.

03-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Here are a couple of other posts from threads started by this poster:

He is certainly good at dropping in with a bombshell every few months.

Let me get this straight, he saw an F 250-600 for $175, didn't buy it, and he still shows his face on here... this is a man with a lot of nerve.

QuoteQuote:
After 35 years of dedication with Pentax equipment. I am devastated.
Hey dude... did you get over it?
03-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Let me get this straight, he saw an F 250-600 for $175, didn't buy it, and he still shows his face on here... this is a man with a lot of nerve.
Well, apparently he did go back and buy it but only offered them $150. Several members wanted to see pictures of the lens but he said he is loaning it out to someone for bird pictures and it was not available for him to get pictures of it. At least that's what the thread says.

I remember reading that thread now, and my wife and I spent the next 6 months going to estate sales every weekend. Sadly, I never found that silver box with a F 250-600 in it.
03-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Well, apparently he did go back and buy it but only offered them $150. Several members wanted to see pictures of the lens but he said he is loaning it out to someone for bird pictures and it was not available for him to get pictures of it. At least that's what the thread says.

I remember reading that thread now, and my wife and I spent the next 6 months going to estate sales every weekend. Sadly, I never found that silver box with a F 250-600 in it.
Sadly , probably my wife and I will start doing that as well. Maybe we all have to put in our six months. I wonder if I should start keeping a list of the older local guys I know with the amazing lens collections and watching the obits and seeking out the estate sales,... it could be a good way to start a used lens business with so many of us old Pentaxers really getting on.
I little morbid perhaps, " hey, I used to know your husband, sad that he's dead, would you like to sell me his lenses for rock bottom prices?"

Hmmm. I might have to work on my pitch a little.

Last edited by normhead; 03-03-2015 at 10:30 AM.
03-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm. I might have to work on my pitch a little.
Yeah, you might want to work on the sympathy part........... And "rock bottom prices" should be "best price you could possibly get today".

it could be a good way to start a used lens business with so many of us old Pentaxers really getting on
I actually did that for a while back when Takumar prices were jumping. The estate sale people were still using old info and considered screw mount lenses as worthless. Bought and sold quite a few really nice Takumars at a very good profit. But they seem to have caught up now so I find it is hardly worth it. Last one I found they wanted top of the market ebay price for it and no interest in bargaining.
03-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Yeah, you might want to work on the sympathy part........... And "rock bottom prices" should be "best price you could possibly get today".

I actually did that for a while back when Takumar prices were jumping. The estate sale people were still using old info and considered screw mount lenses as worthless. Bought and sold quite a few really nice Takumars at a very good profit. But they seem to have caught up now so I find it is hardly worth it. Last one I found they wanted top of the market ebay price for it and no interest in bargaining.
It's really sad that estate people would take eBay prices as the going rate. A lot of the higher price guys don't sell those lenses for anything like what they ask.
03-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pento57mm Quote
My understanding from the beta unit's they have sent me to test is in quite a quandary.
Yep, I had the same feelings regarding my test unit. My biggest complain was its size though... and way too heavy... and what was that weird noise that it was making when moving the camera around when off!?

My connections told me that they will recycle the DA lens.
You send them the old DA and for an additional cost they send you the FF version upgrade. I would say is a good deal and worth doing it.

Last edited by mrNewt; 03-03-2015 at 11:16 AM.
03-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's really sad that estate people would take eBay prices as the going rate. A lot of the higher price guys don't sell those lenses for anything like what they ask.
Estate sale companies tend to be knowledgeable about jewelery, vintage collectables and so on. Not so much with camera gear. So they get their pricing from ebay. They usually offer a "half price" on last day for anything left which tends to correct for anything that was over priced. And Pentax gear is sufficiently rare that there is no reason for them to know much about it. We average 10 - 15 sales a month in the summer and I think I have found only one k-mount lens in three years. M42 there is more stuff but it is still rare. And it seems the good stuff gets bought by people "in the know" before the sale most of the time. I went to one sale that was a home / studio of a landscape photographer and though there was a ton of stuff it was obviously just the junk that was left when they sorted out the good stuff.

You can get a real gem once in a while but if I figured the time and gas I would be better off just buying at KEH.