Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2015, 05:09 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hm, I think instead of talking about number of MP, we should look at Sony sensors. Pentax will most likely use a Sony sensor, one that is used in other cameras to keep the costs down. Will it be the sensor from A7II, A7r, or something else?

03-06-2015, 05:27 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, to be 50 Mp, Sony would have to release one to Pentax without reserving it for their own use first, or Canon would have to do the unthinkable!
03-06-2015, 06:08 AM - 3 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

I guess it has to be a Sony. Nobody want a Canon sensor, probably not even Canon.
03-06-2015, 07:30 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
That assumes people want to make a transition. My current intention is rather different.

I intend to run two (sub)systems: a "proper" FF range for when weight and size are not an issue, and an APS-C range as a more portable but still high quality option.

So I expect to have most of this year's D FA lenses for use with the FF camera, (and I've already pre-ordered the first two of them, 2 kilograms each!) Those will be in addition to other FF lenses, such as my D FA 100mm Macro WR, and Samyang Tilt/Shift. Then I'll keep a reasonably comprehensive APS-C system, mostly based on what I have. This camera will also act as a back-up to the FF camera just in case.

So I'll mix-n-match depending on circumstances, and not need a fully comprehensive set of FF lenses. For example: I may carry on with my existing DA 10-17mm Fisheye, rather than replace it with .... what?
this is my plan as well. but kinda modified.

My K3/K5 will be my APSC portable, high quality, option. Still use it like I do now, taking it to functions where a smaller and more compact camera and lens can help work in the smaller spaces. Also good for travel, hiking, walks, etc.

My FF-K camera (yes, I'll be an early adopter), will be a complement to my Nikon D800 as a prime lens shooter. Two bodies, two different setups essentially. It will become my primary camera when I need to shoot in places where I need to take advantage of the weather sealing (I don't trust the sealing of the D800)

My lens lineup for the FF-K will FA 31, FA43, FA 77, DFA 100. then I'll flesh out other primes as the become available that are hopefully weather sealed. Maybe get the 70-200 a year after the bodies release if I feel I require it.

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 07:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
How about (seriously) :

K-FF = 36MP, $2100 initial MSRP
*and*
K-FFx = 54MP, $3100 initial MSRP

There is no logic in that pricing. sorry

Nikon D810 goes for £2349.00
Pentax K-FF is rumored to be £2000.00

That doesn't equal $2100 USD. Maybe $2750

03-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I completely agree. The megapixel game is bogus. It's a cheap marketing tool when it sacrifices low light capabilities and IQ.
HIgher megapixels doesn't sacrifice low light capability. The low light capability is the same.

IQ also improves, the amount depends on the quality of your lens.

That said it's perfectly easy to crop 24, 36, or 50 MP down to APS-C. I guess it'd be nice to put the floor at 36MP but I don't really care.
03-06-2015, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

it's cost though, and it just makes me laugh...

people want this state of the art 50mp sensor, but want to pay D610 pricing.... wheres the logic?
03-06-2015, 10:44 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
people want this state of the art 50mp sensor, but want to pay D610 pricing.... wheres the logic?
Never let logic stand in the way of lust.

03-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
Never let logic stand in the way of lust.
Well it works for women right?

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had a restraining order on me..... thats why I got a Q with a K adapter and a 300mm lens.
03-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
this is my plan as well. but kinda modified.

My K3/K5 will be my APSC portable, high quality, option. Still use it like I do now, taking it to functions where a smaller and more compact camera and lens can help work in the smaller spaces. Also good for travel, hiking, walks, etc.

My FF-K camera (yes, I'll be an early adopter), will be a complement to my Nikon D800 as a prime lens shooter. Two bodies, two different setups essentially. It will become my primary camera when I need to shoot in places where I need to take advantage of the weather sealing (I don't trust the sealing of the D800)

My lens lineup for the FF-K will FA 31, FA43, FA 77, DFA 100. then I'll flesh out other primes as the become available that are hopefully weather sealed. Maybe get the 70-200 a year after the bodies release if I feel I require it.

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 07:32 AM ----------

This makes a lot of sense. I already own a bunch of APS-C specific gear and I am not planning to get rid of most of it, just to supplement it with a full frame camera. That being the case, I don't really need super-high resolution full frame.

Beyond which, Canon 50 megapixel sensor is reputed to be higher resolution "with the same performance as 5D MK III sensor." I'd far rather have a Sony sensor at this point, with that in mind.
03-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
36mp is the largest option anyway for 2015

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, to be 50 Mp, Sony would have to release one to Pentax without reserving it for their own use first, or Canon would have to do the unthinkable!
Exactly, which is why the question of 36 vs. 50MP is kinda rhetorical for 2015.

There will probably be no Sony 50MP+ sensor available to Pentax until they're ready for round two, the next iteration of FF body.

36MP it will be, and that's a nice K-5 level crop in every way. A very good aps-c camera built in to your new FF camera.

---------- Post added 03-06-15 at 02:29 PM ----------

Point is, two bodies at different price levels based on different MP isn't a bad idea. It worked well for Nikon, and Sony (kinda) adopted it as well. As I said it won't be an option for Pentax in 2015, but in later years you may see options like that.
03-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Exactly, which is why the question of 36 vs. 50MP is kinda rhetorical for 2015.

There will probably be no Sony 50MP+ sensor available to Pentax until they're ready for round two, the next iteration of FF body.

36MP it will be, and that's a nice K-5 level crop in every way. A very good aps-c camera built in to your new FF camera.

---------- Post added 03-06-15 at 02:29 PM ----------

Point is, two bodies at different price levels based on different MP isn't a bad idea. It worked well for Nikon, and Sony (kinda) adopted it as well. As I said it won't be an option for Pentax in 2015, but in later years you may see options like that.
ok. I could go with that.

I like 24mp/36mp much better. mostly because I know how fast my hard drive is filling up and I don't like it! (not to mention how much it slows down my buffer/card writing)

But, memory will only get cheaper..... right?
03-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #42
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't suppose it is any big deal either way. The big thing (I think) is that Pentax not force all DA lenses to be shot with some type of auto crop. If a DA 40 has vignetting in the corners, let me decide how far in I want to crop that in post. But I wouldn't be surprised if people have the choice of SR versus auto crop mode with the DA lenses...
Really, all along while reading all the opinions, I'm wondering why nobody says what to me is this (highlighted by me) most obvious point. Who says that all DA lenses cover only the minimum DA image circle? Shoot them at FF, and cut out what isn't acceptable, either in the viewfinder or in post.
03-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #43
Veteran Member

What about other crop modes? For example, if a lens isn't okay for FF, but works for APSH, would you want that? Should the camera use the biggest frame size that lens allows? Or would that be too complicated, because the focal length would no longer tell us the angle of view?
03-07-2015, 03:22 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Really, all along while reading all the opinions, I'm wondering why nobody says what to me is this (highlighted by me) most obvious point. Who says that all DA lenses cover only the minimum DA image circle? Shoot them at FF, and cut out what isn't acceptable, either in the viewfinder or in post.
It is well known that they don't all cover only the minimum DA image circle:

Barry Pearson: Pentax Full Frame tests

Pentax Forums: DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Compatibility of DA Lenses on Full Frame

Karl Knipser - Flickr Set: Many test photos of Pentax lenses on both film and a Canon EOS 5D Mark III
03-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #45
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
It is well known that they don't all cover only the minimum DA image circle:I
Exactly.

I should have asked "why do we talk as if all DA lenses just cover the minimum DA image circle?".