Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Large US retailers already do this
The problem is we do not have any large European Pentax retailer. Most camera shops and multimedia retailers in Europe are selling Canon, Nikon and Sony, but not Pentax. I believe it's the same in the US. There has been a continuous decline of Pentax representation in Europe. Perhaps the Pentax shop in Paris will be able to offer rebates etc... but sorry , I won't fly to Paris just to get a 150 euros rebate in a Pentax shop, the flight ticket would cost much more than the rebate.

03-06-2015, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The problem is we do not have any large European Pentax retailer. Most camera shops and multimedia retailers in Europe are selling Canon, Nikon and Sony, but not Pentax. I believe it's the same in the US. There has been a continuous decline of Pentax representation in Europe. Perhaps the Pentax shop in Paris will be able to offer rebates etc... but sorry , I won't fly to Paris just to get a 150 euros rebate in a Pentax shop, the flight ticket would cost much more than the rebate.
SRS Microsystems has started doing Pentax rebates (based on what's authorized by the distributor) and we plan to partner with the bring our members better deals and incentives in the future They ship to the whole EU.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-07-2015, 04:50 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
You mean like Adobe Creative Cloud? That is simply a constant revenue stream for Adobe. Meaning a constant revenue drain for those of us who subscribe to it. (Not me, by the way. Bad enough that Adobe wants subscription payment for Acrobat! Which drives be acro-batty!)
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I understand and respect how people don't like the CC subscription format. Personally I love it. Especially $10 usd a month for PS and LR.

I look at it this way, for someone like me, who has transitioned from amateur to professional, a leasing option makes a lot of sense. Even if I was still just shooting for me, I'm also the person who likes the latest and greatest, and for better or worse has the money to support my bad purchasing habits. Since I am taking money for services I can write off a lot of my expenses, part of that is writing off LR/PS. Its much easier to write off $10 a month than $1000/year for photoshop and $150 for lightroom, not to mention a lot cheaper on the pocket book. And that's just to stay relevant with the latest and greatest tools. Sure you could do most of what we do today with CS5, but it would take you a little more time and more knowledge of the software.
I like the Adobe CC model too. (And I have annual subscriptions to Office365 and to security software, etc. It is a convenient way of staying up to date).

(I pay for the full CC, not just the photography version. I want Dreamweaver and other things too. I am an amateur).

Last edited by Barry Pearson; 03-07-2015 at 05:04 AM.
03-08-2015, 01:25 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
SRS Microsystems has started doing Pentax rebates (based on what's authorized by the distributor) and we plan to partner with the bring our members better deals and incentives in the future They ship to the whole EU.
Are you talking about their part-exchange deals, such as extra money currently if you part-exchange to get a K-3? Or Ricoh-provided cash-backs? Or something else?

I've used SRS for all my Pentax purchases for many years. I used their part-exchange scheme to help afford to pre-order the two new lenses, and they have put the product I sent them on sale-for-commission (offering a better deal) until they get the new lenses in stock, when they will switch to part-exchange to avoid overloading my credit card. They are helpful with such deals.

And they are one of the few companies in the UK, perhaps Europe, that hire out Pentax equipment.

03-08-2015, 03:17 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The last time I went into a Saturn store (can't remember if it was Berlin or Vienna) they had a broad range of Pentax bodies and lenses. Given that they sell everything from washing machines to PCs I was a little surprised, to say the least.
03-08-2015, 03:37 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
.. Saturn and Mediamarkt used to sell Pentax products but not anymore. Over here, it looks like Canon and Nikon are a religion and Pentax is banned no matter what product they make.
Sometimes I pass by a digital camera shop here in Austria, I ask them if they do the Pentax brand , they tell me "no , we don't do Pentax, it's not good". In Austria, it looks like Nikon and Canon have built a cartel to prevent other brands. Last year , a guy in my company who wanted to buy a DSLR, compared the Pentax K-3 and the Canon 70D , he found out that the K-3 was better in many aspects but he was discouraged by his friends and the local shops, so he bought the 70D instead !!! I'd would say, Canon plays pure commercial strategy (like Microsoft) by saturating the distribution channels with their product range (most of the products are almost the same, same sensor for many years...). At least Nikon are also doing an excellent job at being in all distribution channel but at least they differentiate by their product specs. A lot of people who buy Canon do it as a social proof act.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-08-2015 at 03:52 AM.