Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I have seen until now is that Canon 5D2, and some Nikon FF are loosing value at a much slower rate than Pentax and Sony. So, buy a Canon or Nikon FF secondhand, for this summer, in in the fall, you can sell it close to the purchaise value, or keep it if the Pentax FF will not suit you needs.

03-07-2015, 03:23 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can only speak from personal experience and Canikon just cant meet my needs of shooting style. Cases where more resolution is needed than the K-3 can offer are seldom. Just to sell it to clients, to come with a fullframe.... I dunno if that is the right way. Id come with the current pentax lineup and take one film of special shoots with the 6x7, who else is offering you that and this solutions outweights even the 645Z and Phase one Resolutionwise...

Simple said. If the K-3 is not enough, you have the wrong lenses
03-07-2015, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Rent a 645z for those weddings and give them a special treat that they were shot in medium format.
03-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

645z would be great for outdoor shots. FF is more flexible indoors. If the A7 had autofocus I'd recommend it... but if you're looking for something NOW I'd recommend getting a decent used Canon or Nikon. If you want to stay Pentax you either wait, or come back to it in 6 or 7 months.

03-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
the 5DIII is big heavy has a canon sensor with banding lots of noise at high isos
If you have to do it, there is this option, currently $1,399.99.

https://www.adorama.com/l/Cameras/Digital-SLR-Cameras?sel=Model_Canon-6D

It was recently as low as $1,249 with a printer bundle and rebate. You don't need the 61 AF points or whatever the 5DMkx has at a wedding. A used 70-200 and 17-85 would be another $1800. Lugging all that, and more, makes any weight difference marginal, though.
03-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #21
Site Supporter

I just looked at the price of a 645z rental. I may have to do that for a trip out west.
03-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you sure you exhausted the possibilities of the k3? Do you have to have FF now? Or would some high quality FF glass help for now? Just asking...

03-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the problem is... I used an A7r a few times and the results were so much better in low light. and manipulation was easier in PP

I miss it and feel like I need that again

I'm going to rent it a few times until Pentax hooks me up
03-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by willdmo Quote
I can only speak from personal experience and Canikon just cant meet my needs of shooting style. Cases where more resolution is needed than the K-3 can offer are seldom. Just to sell it to clients, to come with a fullframe.... I dunno if that is the right way. Id come with the current pentax lineup and take one film of special shoots with the 6x7, who else is offering you that and this solutions outweights even the 645Z and Phase one Resolutionwise...

Simple said. If the K-3 is not enough, you have the wrong lenses
Agreed.

What are you missing out on besides that extra stop of SNR? I doubt you'll be using lenses wide-open for most shots and so it will be the light and flash system that determines your needs the most in the context of wedding photography.

As much as I love my D810 and lenses, I am intrigued at what a FF Pentax DSLR might bring to the table, and I suggest you wait before bailing. It's an expensive exercise, and one you won't want to repeat soon.
03-08-2015, 12:43 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Nowadays, real Pros shoot with MF , FF were for the pros of the past and are for the consumer of now. I'd rent a 645Z. And a 6x7 is indeed an excellent idea.
03-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Nowadays, real Pros shoot with MF, FF were for the pros of the past and are for the consumer of now. I'd rent a 645Z. And a 6x7 is indeed an excellent idea.
You need to mark your irony more clearly, some people might think you're serious
03-08-2015, 07:19 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Why does Pentax not offer a digital 6x7? By equivalence, it is impossible for your puny 645 and FF to match its pictures, etc etc ....
03-08-2015, 07:24 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
I don't think that you need someone which convinces you.
If the "improvements" are worth the cost, the effort to sell everything and to buy everything again, to learn another system which will have some pros but will have for sure some missing things that you are used to use and that you will miss, do it. If not, you already own the system to use while full frame is not yet released.

I may be the target of a lot of insults for what I am going to say, but I don't know why to assume that the next camera that will be released, without knowing anything about it, MUST BE better than the k3.
The Gall, the impudence, the audacity, the....( i ran out of synonyms) Oh lord give me the strength to address such ignorance....

I'm kidding of course, that's a very reasoned and true statement, we don't know anything about the FF, a lump of 3d printed plastic will always be inferior to a K3 (a K10D, or a *istD for that matter) We're might be rabid Pentax fanboys but we're not imbeciles...

In addressing the issue at hand, I agree with the others that jumping ship right now (forget the looming FF) and adjusting to a new system might do our wedding photographer more harm than good, If his K3 has panned out so far, why would it not be adequate in the near (3-6 month) future? We always view things in context, Is the K3 better than the D7100 or will the FF best the D810, it's the human condition that makes us reach into our past experiences to evaluate our present ones. My suggestion would be for him to look at the K3 performance in a very objective, calculated way, the shooting that is going to take place, the setting, the light condition, the arsenal etc. Then try to imagine if the K3 can still satisfy these demands to their fullest. If these clients booked him because they're satisfied with his past works, then there's no reason why he can't "replicate" the experience these months to come. I believe that one would be misguided to think that the new FF will elevate one's craft to a new level, like most things improvement is gradual and demands its own pace.

Last edited by Stavri; 03-08-2015 at 08:03 AM.
03-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
We're might be rabbit Pentax fanboys but we're not imbeciles...
You might be a rabbit, but I'm certainly human!
03-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
You might be a rabbit, but I'm certainly human!
I was having "a moment" there and it was all ruined by auto-correct, damn!

Last edited by Stavri; 03-08-2015 at 08:23 AM.