Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2015, 03:07 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you should get what you need and what makes you happy. If you can wait six-ish months then wait, but if not that's OK.

No one else can really tell you what gear you need and what will work best for you. There are many situations where the differences between APS-C and full frame are negligible, but it sounds like you are pushing to the point where you need the larger sensor.

Good luck.

03-09-2015, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #47
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And then if you match DoF you can shoot at wider ƒstop with APS-c, one stop faster ISO and completely negate the FF advantage.
wrong.

you must be the yogi berra of pf 'Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours.'
03-09-2015, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

In images like this i's hard to get the whole bird in focus. Not taking into account the number of times maxing out your DoF is important to an image, is probably the biggest mistake FF proponents make. They talk about a noise advantage, that in this type of photography just doesn't exist.
I'm sorry but ???? How do you not max out your Dof on a bird this size with any Tele? You could shoot that bird with the fastest tele available and always max out your dof.
Im not saying because someone uses aps-c that they are unknowledgeable when I say this, but in general, FF owners are pretty well versed in photographic techniques and are more likely to put their dof exactly where they want it.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 03-09-2015 at 04:05 PM.
03-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #49
Forum Member

buy a used 645D

03-09-2015, 02:24 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by soycory Quote
buy a used 645D
Same brand different system
03-09-2015, 11:43 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
can I add another aspect? Post processing my A7R images seemed to generate better results with more low light forgivness lets say at ISO 800 if I needed to go that high

I couldn't imagine using the K3 at ISO 800 for enlarged wedding portraits without quite a bit of editing sony would be very fast and easy (workflow matters to me)

also I shot at 4pm once about 1.5 hours from sunset under a shaded veranda flipped both camera to auto and snapped a pic with sim. lenses on front. The Sony with availiable light shot at ISO 160 while the K3 was at 400. Not that it means much but it seems like the A7r was better equipped to handle the situation with nobody behind the wheel (I'm normally in manual mode or AV so I'm not sure if this is useful)

---------- Post added 03-10-15 at 01:44 AM ----------

I just wish the sony had as good as color rendition of the K3.... talk about a cold son of a bi*ch the sony is...
03-10-2015, 12:00 AM   #52

So you already have a Sony A7R? What was the point of your original post then?

03-10-2015, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #53
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by ClinchShots Quote
I have 2 weddings this month and two next month and I might leave this system
Professionals or those earning a living from photography, have no brand loyalty (unless of course sponsored) and as such a camera is only a tool to get the job done.

To that end you should get whatever it is you need... many folk run dual or multiple brand systems to achieve this, so I'm not really understanding why you should need convincing to do anything.
03-10-2015, 04:37 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heads you stay pentax, Tails you go.
03-10-2015, 09:49 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Professionals or those earning a living from photography, have no brand loyalty (unless of course sponsored) and as such a camera is only a tool to get the job done.

To that end you should get whatever it is you need... many folk run dual or multiple brand systems to achieve this, so I'm not really understanding why you should need convincing to do anything.
truth.

Which is why I'm struggling as well... do I buy the Pentax FF in the fall, or another Nikon body so I can finally get NPS and be able to get my bloody D800 fixed without having to rent... oh I don't got a credit card, so no renting. My K3 is my backup, and it does the job well enough for almost everything.
03-10-2015, 10:11 AM - 3 Likes   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

No one else can really tell you what gear you need and what will work best for you.
Norm can!

---------- Post added 03-10-15 at 11:40 AM ----------

The parameters I defined were 100 to 400 ISO, so I'm not sure why you keep going on about the 6400 ISO thing. It's unacceptable both cameras, i... Why do you guys keep trying to impress me with stuff, I've already told you is unacceptable? ..
Translation: In Norm's world, no real photography ever happens above ISO 400!

Last edited by jsherman999; 03-10-2015 at 10:41 AM.
03-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Norm can!

---------- Post added 03-10-15 at 11:40 AM ----------

Translation: In Norm's world, no real photography ever happens above ISO 400!

For once, you're right. I'm always pushing for the best possible image , and in many cases I'd rather have no image than one with limited Dynamic Range and reduced resolution, so, ya, I do try and stay away from images over 400 ISO. Although maybe I wouldn't if I had a sony A7s or 645z. I know you guys all love that grainy , low dynamic range, low resolution, narrow DoF stuff. It's just not for me.

You say it like there's something wrong with that.
03-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Well, recently, I've made two 30x20 (inches) prints; one from the K-5+17-70 and one from the K-3+17-50 and you know what? What surprised me is that I can't see pixels or noise even looking close. However, I've seem two other things that are more disturbing that resolution or noise: 1) color fringing from the 17-70...really catching the eye badly, and 2) K-5 image underexposed by 0.5 ev which is a problem because unlike a LCD display, a printed photograph does not have any back-lighting, 3) colors are shit due to the finish I've chosen for the prints. The k-3 image is sharp and correctly exposed, I can easily double the size of the print.

So, we are very far from current discussion on FF , resolution and high ISO noise. Bad lens on FF = bad result. And you'll have to spend twice the money to get good FF lenses that are up to visual expectation of your prints.
03-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Printing is an art all it's own... I find just for starts, a print has to be 10% brighter than something to make up for that lack of backlight from your monitor, but we do have some amazing prints take with an Optio 80W, 10 MP camera. It makes more work to get a good print than it does to do your initial processing for the web.

Many people recommend you find a service with an experienced printer and develop a relationship, to save you from having to learn all the tricks of the trade yourself.
03-10-2015, 08:39 PM - 2 Likes   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soycory Quote
buy a used 645D
Really not a very good system for low-light photography. No fast lenses are available and that sensor is particularly poor at high ISO, even after factoring in the larger sensor size.

---------- Post added 03-10-15 at 08:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
you'll have to spend twice the money to get good FF lenses that are up to visual expectation of your prints.
Opposite of what I've found. APS-C lenses for a given quality+ability are much more expensive.