Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2015, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andalib13 Quote
Pentax is very good at packing their DSLRs with things that others don't have in general. Such as Weather Sealed body and lenses, Body based SR, etc... (Though others are catching up). Can't they make a difference in the market again? I mean, there are lots of left handed photographers, who have to adopt with the right handed versions.

I already have K5 IIs, and lots of lenses for cropped sensor. I don't plan to move into the full frame arena yet. But, if I get a left handed version of the full frame, Ill definitely go for it...
No. Financial suicide.

03-08-2015, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only economical way left and right-handed options could be provided in a DSLR would be to change the form factor entirely and provide a box with a central viewfinder and an interchangeable grip. The Rolleiflex SL2000 was a 35mm film camera that could provide a model for such a device, but it would be a brave maker who challenged the established form in that way.
03-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canuck_west Quote
No. Financial suicide.
I thought this would give pentax a competitive advantage in the market. But I guess you are right. I came to know in this thread that even the lefties prefer right handed cameras. I guess, it wouldnt be a good idea after all...
03-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use my left eye for shooting, no problem. Tried using my right eye but it's awkward.

If you really can't use a right handed camera due to injury or whatever -- this is an option: Building a Left-Handed Camera Rig

03-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Supporting and Changing Lenses - a left-handed advantage?

I find that the current Pentax camera physical design and layout works very well for me, a left-hander.

In particular, changing lenses is natural - I can cradle and grasp the camera body in my right hand, press the lens release button with my right-hand middle finger, and work the lens swap with my left hand. Also, cradling, supporting, and adjusting heavier lenses with my left hand and arm works well.

- Craig
03-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I use my left eye for shooting, no problem. Tried using my right eye but it's awkward.

I shoot left-eyed because I have a different white balance in both. My left eye offers warmer colors and I like that. The only time shooting left-eyed is more difficult is when I want to see through both eyes. I want to see through the viewfinder with one eye and see normally through the other so better track my subject.
03-08-2015, 01:02 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
I'm left handed and I don't have issue with the handling of a SLR... My right hand fingers are able to push a button, in fact I prefer keeping my left hand for fine focusing/zooming.

As a left hander I actually find this an advantage. My left hand and arm are stronger and more stable than my right. So I support the lens with my more stable arm. What could be better. I am not convinced about the eye argument, I simply do not understand it.

---------- Post added 03-09-15 at 06:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I find that the current Pentax camera physical design and layout works very well for me, a left-hander.

In particular, changing lenses is natural - I can cradle and grasp the camera body in my right hand, press the lens release button with my right-hand middle finger, and work the lens swap with my left hand. Also, cradling, supporting, and adjusting heavier lenses with my left hand and arm works well.

- Craig

What I need for changing lenses is a third hand. One to hold the camera, one for the lens that comes off and one for the one going on. The current arrangement results in the body being open longer than I would like. Changing lenses in a place with a clean table like surface or an assistant works OK.

03-08-2015, 01:26 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
What I need for changing lenses is a third hand. One to hold the camera, one for the lens that comes off and one for the one going on. The current arrangement results in the body being open longer than I would like.
And a fourth hand to manage the lens caps! I know what you mean - I have the same issue with most lenses. I sometimes can handle two small primes in one hand - new front-capped lens in hand; dismount lens from camera and position lenses nose-to-nose in my hand; mount new lens. It's not natural for me, however, and this technique risks dropping one or both. Usually, in the field I just use my kit bag to hold the lenses. Rear caps are loosely fitted. I turn the camera downward to minimize the entry of dust or debris.

- Craig
03-08-2015, 01:43 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And a fifth hand for the rear cap. I find the clumsiest changes involve the camera on a tripod, a shorter lens, then a bigger one with a tripod foot. Now let's see: take off short lens; take camera off tripod; mount long lens. NO, WAIT! What did I do with the short lens? Start again: take camera off tripod; remove short lens; switch rear cap from long to short. WAIT! What happened to the camera? Start again: switch rear cap from long to short lens first, WAIT! Can't do that first. Start again: remove camera from tripod; mount big lens on tripod. WAIT! It takes two hands to do either of those. AND, OMG: Look what happened to the flash! Phooey!! ASSISTANT!!! Almost like an old vaudeville routine.
03-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I shoot left-eyed because I have a different white balance in both. My left eye offers warmer colors and I like that.
I have different colours, too. My left eye has an artificial lens so white is white, my right has a small cataract so white is cream/beige. My left eye is long-sighted, my right is short-sighted (I was short-sighted in both until the left lens was replaced. But I don't have to wear glasses as the brain compensates.

However, I'm left eye dominant (even though I'm right-handed, I shoot a rifle left-handed and play snooker left-handed) and I put my camera viewfinder to my left eye.
03-08-2015, 02:45 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can put up with our right handed bodies. We've all been putting up with your left handed lenses for years!
03-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by andalib13 Quote
left handed version of the full frame
Good grief you don't want much do you.

Me... I'll just be happy to see a FF Pentax.
03-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I support the lens with my more stable arm. What could be better.[COLOR="Silver"]

Does it feel more natural for you to hold a rifle with your right hand on the trigger and your left hand on the barrel?
03-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #29
Veteran Member

What I need for changing lenses is a third hand. One to hold the camera, one for the lens that comes off and one for the one going on. The current arrangement results in the body being open longer than I would like. Changing lenses in a place with a clean table like surface or an assistant works OK.
This might help. Double lens cap cuts down on the time it takes to switch lenses.
OP/TECH USA Lens Mount Cap
03-09-2015, 01:37 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
This might help. Double lens cap cuts down on the time it takes to switch lenses.
OP/TECH USA Lens Mount Cap
Hmm, I might make some of them. Thanks for that.