Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2015, 03:08 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Hmm, I might make some of them. Thanks for that.
I have both single & double versions of the OptiCaps. The rubber seal means they seat snuggly, no tendency to become too loose (so far). They have the same disadvantage as other non-Pentax rear caps: they only fit one way and you must align a fairly inconspicuous ridge with the red lens dot to get the cap to mate correctly. Once installed, all the rear lens contacts are very well protected. The double cap doesn't really save space but it keeps two lenses in one padded slot with no danger of bumping/scratching against each other. The double cap is best used on smaller lenses. I double up a 70mm with either a 40mm or 35mm macro.

03-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I have both single & double versions of the OptiCaps. The rubber seal means they seat snuggly, no tendency to become too loose (so far). They have the same disadvantage as other non-Pentax rear caps: they only fit one way and you must align a fairly inconspicuous ridge with the red lens dot to get the cap to mate correctly. Once installed, all the rear lens contacts are very well protected. The double cap doesn't really save space but it keeps two lenses in one padded slot with no danger of bumping/scratching against each other. The double cap is best used on smaller lenses. I double up a 70mm with either a 40mm or 35mm macro.
I like it for the small lenses (my 15mm and 40mm are usually mated and fit into a small neoprene lens pouch, and my 77 and 31 are connected and reside in a neoprene pencil case). But it's also great for carrying a teleconverter connected to the lens you use it with most -- I often carry my 1.5x kenko connected to my 60-250 using one, in case I need extra distance.

I don't think I'd trust just glueing two lens caps together with anything heavier than a small limited or plastic fantastic. The opticaps feel like a single solid cap. There's a seam, but I'm not sure if it goes all the way through or not. They are, on the whole, much nicer quality than any pentax, canon, nikon, sigma, or tamron lens cap I've seen. I have 3 of the doubles and... I forget, maybe 5 or so of the singles. I don't use them on everything all the time, but most of the lenses I use regularly have them.

And yeah, it would be nice if they were slightly more flexible with the location of the mount.. but the ridge makes them so much easier than other caps. I wish all the lenses had a little bump where the red dot is, too, so I wouldn't have to fumble when trying to mount a lens with the body facing down in snow or whatever.
03-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #33

Can we have versions for people with small hand or one for people with extra-large hands while we are at it.
03-11-2015, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Can we have versions for people with small hand or one for people with extra-large hands while we are at it.
How about one for me? It would have a rear-style grip on the front because I'm all thumbs.

03-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why not a shutter button on each side? The non-shutter button could be programmable for something else.
03-12-2015, 03:51 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Why not a shutter button on each side? The non-shutter button could be programmable for something else.
Touch screens are available. How about a shutter-release option for the touch screen so you could shoot with either a thumb or your nose? I've got lots of thumbs, and a magnificent nose (Pinoccio, eat your heart out)
03-12-2015, 05:58 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Touch screens are available. How about a shutter-release option for the touch screen so you could shoot with either a thumb or your nose? I've got lots of thumbs, and a magnificent nose (Pinoccio, eat your heart out)
Good idea. I do that with the 70D - with my finger because the screen flips out to the left and I'm right-nosed.

03-12-2015, 06:14 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Why stop at only two? We like grips that have a second shutter release for verticals, right? Why not a camera with shutter releases right and left side, on both ends for verticals, and a couple on the base plate for our friends in the southern hemisphere,
03-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #39
Site Supporter

I'm often frustrated that I leave home without a lens I will eventually need, so why not have a camera that can either a) anticipate , or b) go fetch it for me? I don't even care if it's full-frame, APS-C, 2/3, or Micro 2/3, just be Supercamera!
03-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #40
Forum Member

as a lefty i had the same problems with the grip and nose/screen. thats why i now simply turn my k5 on its head and hold it with my left hand. my little finger pushes the shutterbutton and my nose is free. the only problem is that i have to turn all pictures in pp
03-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #41

Why stop at only two? We like grips that have a second shutter release for verticals, right? Why not a camera with shutter releases right and left side, on both ends for verticals, and a couple on the base plate for our friends in the southern hemisphere,
Why not get rid of the on body grip? Have a square body closer to the 645Z with outboard handles on both side like an aircraft control yoke. And borrow the design of the "combat stick" game controllers and put the eDials, shutter button (could even be a trigger), 4 way controller - this could be a "hat" switch as on the joysticks and many of the buttons. the left and right handles could be mirror imaged. Snagging clothing or whatever on the handles could be a problem though. You could always make the handles like those on an old Maxim type machine gun with a frame on top and bottom.
03-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Symmetrical side handles, connected to the body at both their upper and lower ends, much like some old aerial cameras.
03-13-2015, 10:22 PM   #43

Original Poster
Symmetrical side handles, connected to the body at both their upper and lower ends, much like some old aerial cameras.
I am really intrigued to see our creative ideas. Hopefully it will help pentax a lot as well!
03-14-2015, 01:36 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So the side handles could have extra battery capacity and SD card storage slot etc, providing a different ergonomic of the 'grip' with similar functionality.
03-14-2015, 03:11 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Side handles, being cylindrical, could hold C-cell batteries for primary or backup power.
I recommended a bottom-plate shutter release for PF members in the southern hemispheres. Pentax should also offer modification of old manual lenses so that the focus ring rings turn in the opposite direction. That way our antipodal Pentaxians won't need to fight the Coriolis effect.