Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2015, 11:22 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your dominate eye would be a major factor in comfort. Left eye people have issues with right hand cameras. An right eye people would have issues with the left hand models. I think that how you place your face against the back of the camera is more important then wich hand holds the body.

03-17-2015, 01:39 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Left handed cameras will probably remain as rare as left handed hammers.
HOWEVER, FYI: Look at old Exacta cameras - shutter release on the left, film wind lever on the right.
This one has the film wind lever on the left. These were great cameras in their day but took a little getting used to for us right handers. However when piggy backed on a telescope, all was forgiven.
Exakta Varex IIa
03-19-2015, 06:54 PM   #48

I'm left-eye dominant, and manual-wind SLR's were always a chore, with the wind lever wanting to go where my right eye was. But power wind and digital doesn't have that problem. But my nose still leaves grease on the rear LCD...
03-20-2015, 04:09 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Shriver Quote
I'm left-eye dominant, and manual-wind SLR's were always a chore, with the wind lever wanting to go where my right eye was. But power wind and digital doesn't have that problem. But my nose still leaves grease on the rear LCD...
HOORAY for some else who has a proper nose. I cannot understand how wife and daughter can properly ventilate their lungs through the tiny things on their faces, nor when using a viewfinder, how they can properly brace their cameras.

03-20-2015, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andalib13 Quote
Pentax is very good at packing their DSLRs with things that others don't have in general. Such as Weather Sealed body and lenses, Body based SR, etc... (Though others are catching up). Can't they make a difference in the market again? I mean, there are lots of left handed photographers, who have to adopt with the right handed versions.

I already have K5 IIs, and lots of lenses for cropped sensor. I don't plan to move into the full frame arena yet. But, if I get a left handed version of the full frame, Ill definitely go for it...
Eventhough I am right handed and have no need for such a feature, I can easily see how a special left handed version of any camera would be indescribable more usefull and many times more appreciated then any special "Silver" or "Prestige" editions. I think, if any manufacturer wants to classify their products as "ergonomic", left handed version are mandatory.
03-20-2015, 06:38 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Pentax is very good at packing their DSLRs with things that others don't have in general. Such as Weather Sealed body and lenses, Body based SR, etc... (Though others are catching up). Can't they make a difference in the market again? I mean, there are lots of left handed photographers, who have to adopt with the right handed versions.

I already have K5 IIs, and lots of lenses for cropped sensor. I don't plan to move into the full frame arena yet. But, if I get a left handed version of the full frame, Ill definitely go for it...
I'm left-handed. I've been shooting right-handed cameras for over 45 years. I doubt I could use a left-handed camera if my life depended on it.

Pentax has a tiny share of the APS-C market. It's share of the 135 format market will be even tinier. One of the basic principles of economics is the lower your unit sales volume the higher your price will need to be in order to recover your fixed costs. So, just how much are you willing to pay for a left handed 135 format camera body?

---------- Post added 03-20-15 at 09:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
Having adapted to the wrong-handed world my entire life, I was finally gifted a pair of left-handed scissors. Couldn't use 'em!
It's the same with cameras and I do agree that only needing my wrong hand for button pressing is preferable. It can handle that.
Same here!
04-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #52

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Eventhough I am right handed and have no need for such a feature, I can easily see how a special left handed version of any camera would be indescribable more usefull and many times more appreciated then any special "Silver" or "Prestige" editions. I think, if any manufacturer wants to classify their products as "ergonomic", left handed version are mandatory.
Finally, a sensible answer by someone. Thanks for your opinion. Yes, I feel the same. Left handed version would be more appreciated than the silver or prestige edition.

---------- Post added 04-03-15 at 10:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Pentax has a tiny share of the APS-C market. It's share of the 135 format market will be even tinier. One of the basic principles of economics is the lower your unit sales volume the higher your price will need to be in order to recover your fixed costs. So, just how much are you willing to pay for a left handed 135 format camera body?
I guess, a 25% increase than the right handed version would be ok for us. Even if Pentax releases a left handed version, I don't think they would target to make much profit out of it. The main idea is, this would surely make headline, and would get people's attention. Since, other manufacturers haven't attempted it yet.

04-02-2015, 11:43 PM   #53
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
if I get a left handed version of the full frame, Ill definitely go for it...
Good luck with that, I don't recall any manufacturer making a genuine left handed camera.
04-03-2015, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

Not cameras, but this article about left-handed guitars does a decent job of explaining what would be involved, I think.
Why Don't Guitar Companies Make More Left Handed Models?
04-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Hmmm, seriously...how about a grip that is like a long handle with every menu and setting button and wheel on it. which can be attached at the tripod socket. You would hold it like an oboe. It could even have an adjustable length to hide the less-often used functions, or possibly extend for use as a monopod.