Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #61
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
here is the roundup of those three 150-600 lenses, along with a couple of reviews... no native k-mount, but maybe a manual adapter could work?

Lenses compares - Optyczne.pl

05-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #62
Site Supporter

There are reasons that Pentax and Nikon use a long flange to sensor distance. This has to do with true wide angle distortion. When using a wide angle lens I am sure that you have noticed that people toward the edge of the frame start looking distorted compared to those at the center of the frame. This is because the distance from the flange to the sensor is longer at the edges of the frame than at the center - which means that the image of a given object is larger at the edge of the frame than at the center. The longer the flange to sensor distance the lower the difference between the lens to middle of the sensor and lens to edge of the sensor and the lower this distortion. If you have a very short flange to sensor distance this distortion increases. To get rid of this distortion you would have to use a sensor curved like the inside of a basketball - for example: the retina of your eye..
05-30-2015, 12:43 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HoustonBob Quote
There are reasons that Pentax and Nikon use a long flange to sensor distance. This has to do with true wide angle distortion. When using a wide angle lens I am sure that you have noticed that people toward the edge of the frame start looking distorted compared to those at the center of the frame. This is because the distance from the flange to the sensor is longer at the edges of the frame than at the center - which means that the image of a given object is larger at the edge of the frame than at the center. The longer the flange to sensor distance the lower the difference between the lens to middle of the sensor and lens to edge of the sensor and the lower this distortion. If you have a very short flange to sensor distance this distortion increases. To get rid of this distortion you would have to use a sensor curved like the inside of a basketball - for example: the retina of your eye..
Now that you mentioned it, I have noticed that there seem to be much distortion (long legs and fat shoulders) with Canon wide-angle L glasses that people use for wedding and people shots... it is really annoying to see those distortions in group shots (persons in the middle appears tiny, persons on the edge have wide-shoulders and distorted head); and these are from expensive highly rated L glasses. I guess Canon users probably see it differently and perfectly acceptable....
05-30-2015, 04:11 AM   #64
Site Supporter

To go back to the original matter raised by the OP, I am not a big guy (height-wise anyway) and I have small hands, but I much prefer the size of my DSLRs (Pentax K-3; Nikon D810) to my micro 4/3 cameras, which I find too small and fiddly. The DSLRs are a better balance with longer lenses, too. Also, I find the optical viewfinders much clearer on bright days than the EVFs on the Panny GX7 and Olympus EM-5, but maybe those on the Sonys are better.

05-30-2015, 05:08 AM   #65
Pentaxian

When I want a small camera I drop my Optio 90W in my pocket. That's small. Deciding one size of small is the optimal size of small... that's personal preference. To a guy who shot 8x10 film, 4x5 film is small. A 645z is small and, a Sony A7 is too small to be truly functional. What is small and what isn't is a state of mind.
05-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #66
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I was at a local camera store the other day just looking around, and played with a Sony a7, Nikon D610, and Nikon D750. Obviously, there were no Pentax. Being a K30 user, I was shocked how small the Sony was, and kinda liked how little it weighed. When I made my way over to the Nikons, they just seemed ridiculously enormous and heavy in comparison to the Sony, and even the K30 I am used to using. This experience really made me hope Pentax's new full frame is as small as they can make it. I think it could attract many Canikon users that want to upgrade from APS-C if it were K-3 sized as opposed to D750 sized. Thoughts?

(un)true story.. this is a Sony A7 with a 70-200mm FF lens:

05-30-2015, 10:35 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I was at a local camera store the other day just looking around, and played with a Sony a7, Nikon D610, and Nikon D750. Obviously, there were no Pentax. Being a K30 user, I was shocked how small the Sony was, and kinda liked how little it weighed. When I made my way over to the Nikons, they just seemed ridiculously enormous and heavy in comparison to the Sony, and even the K30 I am used to using. This experience really made me hope Pentax's new full frame is as small as they can make it. I think it could attract many Canikon users that want to upgrade from APS-C if it were K-3 sized as opposed to D750 sized. Thoughts?
Wuss... Just kidding..
05-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Wuss... Just kidding..
Hey now...

But for real, when I first got my K30 (650 grams), it felt pretty heavy compared to my old plastic and hollow feeling Sony a330 (529 grams). They were exactly the same size, but the weight difference, though it seems small, made quite a difference over the course of a day of shooting. To me, image quality is everything and I will eventually own the Pentax FF no matter how much it weighs. The prevention of any future back and neck complications would just be an added (but not necessary) bonus! But lately the anticipation of the release on the specs on the FF has been killing me, as I have decided I will not buy an a7 until I see what Pentax can offer.

06-12-2015, 01:20 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
Kludgy is a good word for it.

I wonder if any of the tech-head geniuses here who keep up with Ricoh/Pentax patent applications could tell us if a hybrid VF is even in the cards?
There are a couple of possibilities.

Note how Pentax does the focus point display. It is a little display sitting where the Pentax logo is, a little prism and lens redirect it into the main prism, where it joins the OVF image. If you can make the space for it you could have a display at that point, or maybe entering from the top facing part of the main prism (especially if you drop the flash).

There is also the Fuji approach of having another prism that joins the picture.

As for Sony lens selection... the AF of the A7R II is supposed to work reasonably well with Canon lenses using a Metabones adapter. I don't see why Pentax couldn't do the same. Mirrorless with really short flange distance, and using an adapter for at least K mount lenses that enables AF (even screw drive). It can be either mechanical (motor in body, and just a drive shaft connecting that with the AF connector... basically the new K mount would be identical to the old one, just closer to the sensor), or it could have the motor in the adapter.

As for wide angle distortion... can't the lens be designed differently then? If you need distance from the lens elements to the sensor for good wide angle performance, just do that inside the lens. Basically integrate an extension tube.

Btw., for those going on about balance of big lenses with small cameras...

I could see a video style EVF that can be attached to the camera, along with some controls. Uses USB for the controls and HDMI for the display. Maybe WiFi if the distance is too big. Admittedly unlikely, and too dangerous with cops going nuts around the world.

Last edited by kadajawi; 06-12-2015 at 01:26 AM.
06-12-2015, 01:52 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
To go back to the original matter raised by the OP, I am not a big guy (height-wise anyway) and I have small hands, but I much prefer the size of my DSLRs (Pentax K-3; Nikon D810) to my micro 4/3 cameras, which I find too small and fiddly. The DSLRs are a better balance with longer lenses, too. Also, I find the optical viewfinders much clearer on bright days than the EVFs on the Panny GX7 and Olympus EM-5, but maybe those on the Sonys are better.
I find a DSLR with a small prime lens just as ill-balanced as a tiny MILC with a huge telephoto. The difference between the two being that the latter can have a grip attached to it to make it bigger. But that fat DSLR can't be made any smaller then it already is.
06-12-2015, 03:59 AM   #71
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I find a DSLR with a small prime lens just as ill-balanced as a tiny MILC with a huge telephoto.
My mileage varies from yours obviously. I use Pentax, Nikon and Canon DSLRs and I don't find any of them unbalanced with a light lens. I find the Olympus EM-5 more fiddly to use than my Pentax Q, and although I have a grip, doesn't that rather negate the point of buying micro four-thirds in the first place. And, at best, image quality is passable, no more.
06-12-2015, 06:43 AM   #72

The only full frame I've actually liked was the Nikon DF. Work of art.

At this point, I'd need something like that too even consider buying a full frame, Pentax or not.

Hell, I know a few folk who would Kill for a Pentax "Spotmatic-D" as the one put it. something like a 16mp workhorse full frame with manual controls and less frills for just over a grand would sell like hotcakes...

Still, here's hoping the flagship full frame is everything they can make.
06-12-2015, 06:59 AM   #73
Veteran Member

I'm on a different position...
Just traded a K-5 II for a Nikon D700 and I just love how it feels; I really missed a hefty body. Love the weight and it improves stabilization a lot.
06-12-2015, 07:35 AM   #74
Pentaxian

I have no clue what you guys are talking about. I buy cameras for the images they take... put something in my hands that I like for the images, and I'll get used to it, whatever it is.

QuoteQuote:
Just traded a K-5 II for a Nikon D700 and I just love how it feels; I really missed a hefty body. Love the weight and it improves stabilization a lot.
12 MP? Like a K-x? Interesting.

Last edited by normhead; 06-12-2015 at 07:41 AM.
06-12-2015, 08:36 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have no clue what you guys are talking about. I buy cameras for the images they take... put something in my hands that I like for the images, and I'll get used to it, whatever it is.

12 MP? Like a K-x? Interesting.
It's not the camera, that counts, isn't that what it's said?
12 indeed, but not exactly like a K-x...