Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2015, 06:25 PM   #106
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
It's not only the camera, the Canikon lenses are also HUGE. I still have a Canon 30D which is one of the smallest ASP-C DSLR cameras Canon has ever built and it's huge sitting next to my K-5II. Put a lens on it and it's like comparing a Gorilla to a Chimpanzee !
I agree...
honestly, if the Pentax FF was as big as a 6D or D610, i wouldnt mind. But damn, some of the lenses just are huge.

07-21-2015, 07:03 PM   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Put a lens on it and it's like comparing a Gorilla to a Chimpanzee !
My K3 looks a bit Gorilla'ish once I put it to my eye.....

Here's a real challenge for camera manufacturers I want to put out there....... produce a camera that makes me look good..... (talk about late to market!)
07-29-2015, 10:42 PM   #108

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
Unless Pentax creates a mirrorless FF system, then we'll never see a Pentax FF body as small as the Sony A7. It physically couldn't happen. In fact, I don't see that it will be as small as the K3, although my hope is that it will be.

Personally, I would love it if they went mirrorless with their FF - and I don't mean another mirrorless K body. Create a whole new system from the ground up, lenses and all. Shrink that flange distance to as short as possible. Imagine how amazing a Pentax-engineered camera like that would be - so small and powerful and smartly laid out.

My fear is that Pentax will continue to lag behind the rest of the industry, content in "filling the gaps." They make superior cameras - I just wish they'd had created a system like the A7 first. Mirrorless is the future.
I'd love to have one. Actually Ricoh does't have to make a new lens line or mount for smaller and thinner body. All they have to do is make a proprietary K mount adapter or coupler that is electronically wired to make those K mount lenses work AF or not. If I am not mistaken metabones made an adapter for Canon lenses to work with the latest A7 model. If Pentax follows this path, she has the advantage of a more mature SR implementation( the K5 I'm using has a very effective SR ) and better image rendering over Sony ( this is a bit subjective ). With the kind of image rendering Pentax offers, she could attract non Pentax users to try Pentax bodies without abandoning their current lens collection. And for those who want a bigger body for balance and ergonomics, Pentax may implement provisions for an ergonomically designed battery grip with full functions. So you have a body you can use whether you want big or small, a non Pentax lens or a Pentax lens. I think Pentax should be developing/improving their own EVF so that when they decide to offer mirrorless line with bigger sensor than the Q, like resurrecting the K01, they are ready.
07-30-2015, 07:07 AM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad to see there is still a least a glimmer of hope for a Pentax mirrorless FF. However, it won't be as small as the A7. Sony needed a bigger body for the improvements, including SR, in the A7ii and A7rii. These are still a couple of hundred gms lighter than the K-3 so Pentax ought to be able to something similar and keep K-mount and all the other Pentax advantages.

07-30-2015, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #110

Photos: Gallery
I received my A7-II yesterday and I am really happy with it ... I will buy the Pentax FF for sure. It really seems that my pictures have "more depth", but I can't explain it ... it's just the look. And I have only shot with the 31mm and the M 50/1.7 so far.
08-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #111
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have gone through a slew of cameras in the past couple of years, but I keep selling them off or returning them to stay with my K3 and D800. To be honest I don't need another camera and aside from quibbles from both systems being figured out, I have no reason to buy anything, but I'll probably still buy the Pentax FF just to use my FA glass at full resolution.

What would get me to switch though? A Pentax mirrorless, even APSC

I keep buying mirrorless cameras and returning them, and it always comes down to redundancy, I do not need to build up another set of lenses for another brand, not to mention accessories. Granted a Pentax mirrorless would most likely benefit from a new mount, but at least it would have Pentax ergonomics and work with my Pentax flashes.

To be honest, the best user experience out there I've had, but it's far from perfect, is the Fuji XT-1. I love the manual control dials, it helps slow down the process and just relax. I love the aperture control on the lens barrel, its more natural for me to have it there. Then there is the EVF which is exquisite! I love it. But, changing AF points is a royal PITA, the flash system is arguably worse than Pentax, and the menu system is a cluster ***k. Not to mention it's too low resolution for the work I do (lots of prints, usually averaging A1 and A3). Then the lenses are larger than other APS-C counter parts even though it's mirrorless, they are almost FF sized.

So for me, I would love Pentax to come out with a mirrorless system based around the ASP-C lineup, ship it with an optional adapter module that will allow you full AF/Metering with all current K mount lenses. Preferably without any loss of AF speed and accuracy. Give it a 24mp sensor, increase the flash-x speed to at least 1/250, match or exceed the performance of the XT-1 view finder. Pentax ergonomics. Bonus, put an aperture control ring on the K-mount adapter. Why APS-C? For the size.

What have many people mentioned as a problem with FF and wished for? Smaller size and weight. Sure Sony has smaller size body, but still large lenses. Well, sorry, modern FF glass will not be small unless its smaller apertures